• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should NOT draft Andrew Luck

Ohio

What is it...200 pass attempts and counting without a TD for Clausen. I think that is a reason right there for why you take Luck. One out of every 200 attempts is like...3 TD passes per season IF you are throwing the ball ALOT. The guy should have stayed in college because he is the farthest thing from being ready to play pro football.

I tend to fancy the 2011 Draft and off season as a chance for rehabilitation. Remember what the Jets did the past two years in the draft and with free agency and that same thing could be accomplished with us.

There are an extraordinary amount of most likely unrestricted free agents coming out this year but not so many from the Panthers, except ones that want to be here. Yes we will have to pay DWill but if we let him go we are losing the best running back to play for us and a player with probably 3 or 4 great pro bowl years left. I like JStew but with Sutton and Goodson behind him we could possibly trade him for a early second MAYBE a late desperate Colts first round pick if we send them a 3rd.

The 2011 draft holds so many possibilities, the draft is rich in many positions with a few being less than desirable beyond the top 3. The Panthers could use, in no particular order, a CB QB WR DT DE. This team is nowhere near is bad as it seems. We are not like the 0-16 Lions of recent memory, this is an incredibly young team with no sense of direction. Jim Druckenmiller was the first quarterback taken in the NFL draft in 1997. In 1998 Peyton Manning was the first QB taken, my point is do you think if the team who drafted Jim had a chance they would've picked Peyton? I do, and this is exactly what we are dealing with this year. Andrew Luck may be the next Tim Couch, but at the very least we need to HOPE he is the next Peyton Manning. Jimmy Clausen has shown improvement albeit at a slower pace than we would like. But before the Matt Ryan Joe Flacco year it took QB's a couple to three years for them to show up.

That being said....AJ Green would be fantastic if you don't believe that Gettis and Lafell can handle the bulk in two years with AE helping out more and more as Smitty inches closer to retirement. Take your pick between Prince Amukamara and Patrick Patterson if you want a CB. Patterson will definitely help out with returns while being a great corner but Amukamara is THE lock down corner. As far as a Defensive End, Bowers or Robert Quinn are as good as you'll get if we trade down a few spots and Clayborn late 1st round. I personally do not want a DT after the two that came out last year but if so Farley over Dareus.

Final thought, Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck together in Carolina. He is an offensive guy with some good defensive roots as well but I am sure Luck's maturation and growth would be quicker with Harbaugh coaching him. Plus Harbaugh would know how to recruit the free agents to our wonderful Carolinas.

meh... there's only so much blame you can place on him, Ohio.

Moore was able to score TDs, why can't Clausen score?

I'm not even expecting wins, just... something...

I could not agree more...the job of any QB is to get the ball in the endzone:rolleyes:, something Clausen has failed to do except once on broken coverage :yesnod:

I hope for all you Luck guys, he plays under the same Jeff Davidson system we've been running for 3 years and see how much you like Luck then. Jimmy gets a bad name for Davidsons idiocy.

While I do agree that Davidson's system sucks and is extremely predictable...its not all on him. Clausen just doesn't get it right now. Maybe he will get it in the future but for now he has led us to a record that has put us in a great position to replace him. There is no way in hell we pass on Andrew Luck because we drafted Clausen last year. Its just not going to happen. All I can say is April 2011 cannot get here soon enough...

Sorry but the last thing this team needs right now is to get younger in the passing game. They got 2 rookie recievers and a rookie qb and you want to go and draft another qb so they will have another rookie qb next year too? You need someone with some experience under center for next year. They dont have to be great but they at least need to be able to read coverage and make audibles at the line. We dont have anyone on the team that can do that right now.

Sorry but the last thing this team needs right now is to get younger in the passing game. They got 2 rookie recievers and a rookie qb and you want to go and draft another qb so they will have another rookie qb next year too? You need someone with some experience under center for next year. They dont have to be great but they at least need to be able to read coverage and make audibles at the line. We dont have anyone on the team that can do that right now.

I'm so fuging tired of our QB ceiling being "serviceable". I'd really enjoy having some small amount of talent there.

I'm so fuging tired of our QB ceiling being "serviceable". I'd really enjoy having some small amount of talent there.
amen. mediocrity rules around here, i suppose.

Why would anyone be against the team getting better at a position? Especially one as important as QB. If Luck is available, the Panthers will take him.
it's baffling. too much time as a fan of the panthers maybe. we've gone so long without a real QB that we figure we don't need one or feel that there is something wrong with having one.

amen. mediocrity rules around here, i suppose.

it's baffling. too much time as a fan of the panthers maybe. we've gone so long without a real QB that we figure we don't need one or feel that there is something wrong with having one.

So why even draft Jimmy, or Pike for that matter? Was it yet another organizational mistake?

it happens. the organization makes mistakes....but drafting him wouldn't necessarily be called a mistake. they picked a guy they thought would be good and then another guy comes along the next year who would be better. they would just be simply taking advantege of an opportunity that fell into their lap. nothing wrong with that.

it was only a 2nd round pick that they gave up for clausen and only on the hook for $2.5mil. not really something that should keep you from drafting a much better prospect the next year, esp. when he has given no reason for you not to draft the top guy the following year.

clausen was a low risk, high reward pick for a QB. of the options that were available it looked like the best one. had they known that someone like luck would be available to them the next year, they probably wouldn't have drafted him at all. they didn't know luck was going to fall into their lap. none of that is good enough reason to pass up on him.

when you have access to the best QB prospect to come out in years and don't have much on the roster that would be ahead of him, you take him. clausen, pike, moore, or half of the QBs in the league aren't really worth passing up on luck for.

panthers are fortunate that they don't have much invested in clausen. the biggest mistake they could make would be passing up on luck when they don't really have an answer at QB right now.

Why does everyone thing Luck is going to be so great. He has looked good in college but so did Jimmy Calusen. His last year at ND he had 28 TD's and 4 int. This year Luck has 28 TD and 7 int. And they both ran a pro style offense. This team does not need another rookie quarterback to start next season. I am not saying Jimmy is the guy, far from it. But if this team wants to get better and not struggle and hope to get to .500 for the next 2 or 3 years they need a QB that has started and had some success in the NFL. Not another rookie to throw to rookie recievers (or 2nd year recievers next year). We will be staring down the 1st pick in next years draft at this time if we do that.

numbers aren't what separates them, bababoey. Check out some of Luck's scouting reports.

Clausen's glowing comparison was to Aaron Rodgers from what I read, which at the time I thought was pretty nice.

Drafting Luck is not giving up on Clausen, just taking the best player available.

Archived