• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Next Head Coach

Mr. Scot

Ray,

I've always thought the original success of the Patriots in this era was attributed to the defense and special teams of Belichick moreso than Weiss's offense. Brady really didn't become a superstar until two years after they won the 2001 season Superbowl.

Your points though are excellent.

the creator of that system? charlie weis. i don't lioke him at all as a HC candidate, but i would consider him as an OC but he's probably going to be sticking around KC the rest of his life or at least for a pretty good while.

absolutely, Weis is the difference maker. That O was with the Jets, and Giants, but not until Weis started playing with it with the Jets did it matter (and when he left, Henning ran it horribly).

It's how it's run, which is the main reason why Henning and Davidson have run the same offense with the same goals, but both have essentially been uncreative and had major issues. Consider Sean Payton runs this offense, Weis runs this offense, Belichick runs this offense, and all of them have come up with good quarterbacking and good passing games. It's a good system, and at times Davidson and Henning have done good things with it. I'd argue Davidson was solid if you exclude this year, because we could do what we came to do - run.

That seems to be what this offense does least well, in its various iterations, and for all that about Henning being held back by Fox, I'm obviously unimpressed with what Miami's doing. I'm surprised Sparano hasn't had more to do with that offense, because he was a very competent play-caller under Parcells after Payton left.

LOL our TE Coach is a former Offensive Coordinator? WTF?

absolutely. Chryst essentially invented statistical analysis of football in the early 90s as well.

In the middle of that, he also played longsnapper for a WLAF team, which almost no one has ever noticed in his bio and that I had a very good conversation with Darin Gantt about: not long after that conversation, Chryst's team bio was changed from "linebacker/longsnapper" to "tight end/longsnapper", which I don't anticipate anyone to find interesting, but I did.

He's an excellent position coach, and with his background with Harbaugh, would make a fine OC, because he'd run a good practice and do all the breakdowns and cerebral stuff while Harbaugh calls plays and gameplans.

Since Harbaugh's OC is a RBs coach, and he employs a 'running game coordinator' (a title I hate personally) that's a line coach, Chryst's versatility as having coached QBs and TEs would fit in perfectly with that structure.

absolutely. Chryst essentially invented statistical analysis of football in the early 90s as well.

In the middle of that, he also played longsnapper for a WLAF team, which almost no one has ever noticed in his bio and that I had a very good conversation with Darin Gantt about: not long after that conversation, Chryst's team bio was changed from "linebacker/longsnapper" to "tight end/longsnapper", which I don't anticipate anyone to find interesting, but I did.

He's an excellent position coach, and with his background with Harbaugh, would make a fine OC, because he'd run a good practice and do all the breakdowns and cerebral stuff while Harbaugh calls plays and gameplans.

Since Harbaugh's OC is a RBs coach, and he employs a 'running game coordinator' (a title I hate personally) that's a line coach, Chryst's versatility as having coached QBs and TEs would fit in perfectly with that structure.

As I recall, you and I were both rooting for Chryst to get the QB coach job before it went to Scherer.

i like fewell a lot, but the only question i have is why didn't the bills hire him long term? he did well with them, imo...as well as anyone could. other than that, he's a really solid choice.

That's an understandable concern.

I guess you could make the argument that the Bills, were, well, being the Bills.

this would make a lot of sense.

we still would need to find a good WR coach.

What's wrong with Tolbert coming back? I think he's doing a really good job with the young guys we have so far. Unless something better is out there, keep him as our WR coach imo.

As for who I'd want for the new HC.... I just don't know who to pick at this point. So many decisions, (glances down at sig), not sure about it... yup, couldn't begin to figure out who I'd like for us next year...

the bills didn't resign fewell cause they racist!

that and they are just a sad sad franchise that makes horrible decisions one after another.

They made it clear they wanted to hire an offensive coach. Gailey has done a great job with them tbf.

Archived