• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Simple View on Draft Priorities

SCPantherFan90

Atleast in my opinion...

How do you win a football game?

You outscore the opponent by a combination of gaining points with your offense and stopping the other team from gaining points with your defense.

Lets take a look at the Panthers' current ranks for Total Points on both sides...

Total Points Allowed League Rank: 24th

Total Points Scored League Rank: 32nd

Note: Not only is our offense last in scoring points, its WAY last. As in, we're 58 points behind Minnesota who is 31st.

I know our defense has areas of weakness, but for the love of all things holy, HOW can you argue that our offense doesn't need more help right now?

I know this is a rant (and I don't post a lot), and I like The Huddle so I can keep up with the Panthers, but I swear, I'm going to have a brain hemorrhage if I see another "OMG! FAIRLEY/DAREUS/PETERSON/Etc. FTW!!!" thread.

Whew! Rant over :D

That doesn't mean we draft a QB if Luck is not there. We need DTs desperately. DW was hurt most of the year, Otah the whole year. Wharton missed a lot. Next year, our Rookies will not be rookies. You don't use the draft to solve statistical problems caused by youth and injuries.

DT is a train wreck. Pressure from the middle will bring out the best in our secondary, DEs, and keep OL off the LBs.

On offense, we need the peices to be in place and depth. If not Luck, we need a veteran.

That doesn't mean we draft a QB if Luck is not there. We need DTs desperately. DW was hurt most of the year, Otah the whole year. Wharton missed a lot. Next year, our Rookies will not be rookies. You don't use the draft to solve statistical problems caused by youth and injuries.

DT is a train wreck. Pressure from the middle will bring out the best in our secondary, DEs, and keep OL off the LBs.

On offense, we need the peices to be in place and depth. If not Luck, we need a veteran.

Very good point, but I'm not saying we have to draft a QB. If Luck isn't there, I don't see any reason why we SHOULDN'T trade down, but I think even a healthy panther offense, is still more in need than our defense right now.

If we're neighbor's it would be very bad day for you

Its called sarcasm. Thanks for the scary internet threat though. lol

Obviously, all of this is going to depend on the new coach.

If Luck comes out, he is the #1 pick because he becomes the coach's "guy" and is the best talent in the draft by far at the most important position.

If Luck doesn't come out, there is a number of scenarios that could happen:

1) If Gamble or Marshall are gone, I think Patrick Peterson will be the pick. He is a top tier/elite corner that will be shutdown in the NFL. He also provides a special teams boost as a returner.

2) If the coach thinks we are set at CB, I think DT Nick Fairley will be the pick based out of need and overall talent. He has been pretty dominant on a top team in the nation.

3) Trade down to accumulate more picks.

I think Bowers is out because Hurney already picked Everette Brown (with technically a 1st round pick), and AJ Green is out because he picked Lafell and Edwards already with a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Hurney is too smart to spend the first overall pick on DE and WR when he has already spent valuable draft picks in the past addressing these positions. Hurney obviously has a plan in place, and I don't think Bowers and Green are such unbelievable talents that it would warrant taking them as BPA.

Hidden

Very good point, but I'm not saying we have to draft a QB. If Luck isn't there, I don't see any reason why we SHOULDN'T trade down, but I think even a healthy panther offense, is still more in need than our defense right now.

Its called sarcasm. Thanks for the scary internet threat though. lol

i was just playing right along with you. dont be so sensitive

Archived