• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone else pissed???

unicar15

Is anyone else out there pissed off that the Panthers have the #1 pick in arguably one of the worst drafts in recent memory?? Other than that Jamarcus Russell draft I can't remember one that has been much worse. I mean Nick Fairley and DaQuan Bowers as the best overall prospects? Those of you predicting Fairley to be the next Warren Sapp and Bowers to be the next Mario Williams need to go back and watch some film and also look at the size of these two guys.

How much better of a player is Bowers than Gaines Adams was when he came out? How much better is Fairley than Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis?? These were guys drafted really recently at the top that have essentially turned out to be decent players but not anything special.

If you are drafting #1 overall the you better get a player that is going to change your franchise. You better either get a QB that is a franchise player or a player at a different position that is going to change the game for your team and win you games. IMO neither Fairley nor Bowers are of that caliber. AJ Green is the only player that IMO you could look back on in a few years and wonder how he didn't go #1. I'm not saying that is a reason to draft him....but IMO he is the only can't miss eventual superstar player at the top of the draft.

The problem with this is that you can't truly judge a draft until a few years after it happens. If we are looking at just the number one pick, there are some pretty obvious failures over the last ten years. David Carr, Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell. Might have to add Stafford to that list if he can't stay healthy. And of the other 6, its hard to say that many of them were franchise changing picks. Mario Williams was a better pick than Bush or Young, but its hard to say he changed the Texans franchise since they still can't make the playoffs. Same with Jake Long and Carson Palmer. Jury is still out on Bradford. The only franchise changers selected with the number one pick in the last ten years have been Manning and Vick. Vick certainly changed atlanta's franchise, but left them with a sour taste in their mouth, while Manning helped New York get to a Superbowl, but probably wasn't the best QB in the draft.

So the odds of us getting a true franchise changing player is probably 50/50 or less. But we will not know for certain until a couple of years have passed.

And when Did size make any of the top DT good? You have no clue what your talking about. Dorsey is not bad. He is a 3-4 defensive end. He must play gap control. He would be better in a 4-3. I wish people on this game were around the true game as I was. You talk BS. You just think you the nxt mel kiper jr. You are soooooooo stupid if you think bowers or fairley wont be good. Fairly has 10.5 sacks and Dorsey had 7.5? BTW a little attitude would be nice. You should get over A.j green and andrew luck. Cant wait till fairley is a pro bowler.

I'm giving you notice of my intent to request, in writing, a return of the 30 seconds of my life and 15 IQ points I lost while reading this.

I'm not sure it's a weak draft. Weak at QB, perhaps. Even in the 2007 draft, it wasnt as weak as people think. A superstar WR, OT, RB, MLB, and CB were available in the first round, and I know for sure that many talent evaluators were sure that Russell was not a good prospect. In 4-5 years they will say the same about this year, only hopefully some other team took the bust, and our people did their homework and took a solid prospect.

I agree, Calvin Johnson should have been the #1 pick that year. What difference does position matter? I know there have only been 2 #1 picks that are WRs in recent history, but Green is the closest to a sure thing that there is in the draft. I'm sure there are plenty of other drafts where a QB bust went before a WR #1 overall, but I don't really feel like looking it up. I'm afraid that Fairly is as much of a bust risk as Newton is. If your gonna take the gamble, then draft Newton. If your gonna pay someone $50 mil guaranteed then draft the sure thing.

I look at it this way.

If it's a bad draft, then it's bad for everyone.

Being the team that picks first means you may not get the best player of all time, but getting the best guys in a bad crop still means you're getting better players than the other teams are getting.

Be nice if it were a better pool , but whadyagonnado?

C'est la vie

I agree, Calvin Johnson should have been the #1 pick that year. What difference does position matter? I know there have only been 2 #1 picks that are WRs in recent history, but Green is the closest to a sure thing that there is in the draft. I'm sure there are plenty of other drafts where a QB bust went before a WR #1 overall, but I don't really feel like looking it up. I'm afraid that Fairly is as much of a bust risk as Newton is. If your gonna take the gamble, then draft Newton. If your gonna pay someone $50 mil guaranteed then draft the sure thing.

That's the thing, its not just Calvin. The Raiders could have taken Joe Thomas (Pro bowler every year so far), Peterson (best RB in the league?) or even Revis/Willis (best at their position?) even though those positions arent usually top 3 picks. I just feel like in the end you just have to blame the Raiders (again) for blowing their pick. In the next 15 picks, arguably 4 players were available who would be the best at their position by year 4.

Even in 2005, considered a terrible class, there were 10 of the 32 picks have already made a pro bowl. The players are always there....you just have to find them.

We cannot change the draft no matter what we say. Going to come down to what value we can justify for that number one pick versus what we could get for it. I know Jerry Richardson has said we will use the number one pick but we need to be drafting at number one overall with a certainty that our pick will make a difference. No use in paying too much for someone that will not.

And to think, people believed they were supporting the team by hoping for the #1 pick

Oh come on. That was when Luck was considered almost certain to come out after the year he had.

If Luck would have came out, this thread wouldn't even exist. Instead we would be talking about either taking Luck or trading down for picks.

No one would be pissed about this draft then.

Archived