• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missouri Fans perspective on Gabbert

unicar15

How both highly rated player that came on that last year in school.

Morrison wasn't rated in the top 20 until his senior season then became a top 5 pick. Same as Gabbert. Why is it such a bad argument.

...Have you looked at Gabbert's stats at all through his career? I don't expect you to know his history or know much about him, but if you're going to compare him to someone you should at least look into him a bit. He isn't a one year wonder by any definition of the word and he isn't a senior who only had one good season... he isn't even a senior.

Gabbert has been a highly touted player since he was a recruit coming into the Big 12 from high school. Last year he was one of the top underclassmen, just like this year, and he had a good year last year, too.

...Have you looked at Gabbert's stats at all through his career? I don't expect you to know his history or know much about him, but if you're going to compare him to someone you should at least look into him a bit. He isn't a one year wonder by any definition of the word and he isn't a senior who only had one good season... he isn't even a senior.

Gabbert has been a highly touted player since he was a recruit coming into the Big 12 from high school. Last year he was one of the top underclassmen, just like this year, and he had a good year last year, too.

Mav I usely agree with you but before Mcshay. Show me what other scouting services had him at last year.

Mav I usely agree with you but before Mcshay. Show me what other scouting services had him at last year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1818

He was one of the top recruits in 2008. That at least shows that he didn't just come out of nowhere, but obviously that doesn't predict his pro potential in the least.

In 2009 he threw for 3600 yards and 24 TDs. He won some Big 12 offensive awards. He's no one-year wonder; last year, in his first year starting, he put up awesome numbers despite an injury. This year he built on that success and worked on his technique and mechanics, which is probably why his stock climbed quite a bit as the season went on.

I can't find anything old enough to show you where he was ranked last year, but he was on a few people's radars especially if they were looking at rating underclassmen quarterbacks. Quite a few quarterback rankings say "since Gabbert isn't coming out I didn't bother looking into him." He wasn't even on a mock as far as I could tell, nobody thought he'd come out.

As the season went along, he gained some notoriety among QB junkies and Big 12 fans because he really started the season strong. When Missouri started out the season undefeated (they went 7-0 until they hit Nebraska) I heard him talked about some on ESPN. My dad is a Mizzou alumni so I look out for them on occasion, but I had no idea he was even contemplating coming out. Nobody was expecting him to come out this year as far as I can tell but he received a top 20 review by the group that gives out evals to potential draft picks I heard. No idea how true that is but yeah.

So, to answer your question, I can't find you a direct link to what scouts thought of him heading into this season. Nobody expected him to declare this year so he wasn't getting the same level of ranking and rating. But to say nobody had heard of him isn't true, just as it is not true at all that he was a one year wonder.

I am not totally against the Panthers getting Gabbert in the draft.

I just don't see them doing it.

I can't imagine us taking him, either. I don't know that he's worth the #1 (though if he is worth a #3 he is), but I don't know how sold the FO is on giving Clausen time (which is a legitimate question)... and there are other good prospects there that also address needs.

How both highly rated player that came on that last year in school.

Morrison wasn't rated in the top 20 until his senior season then became a top 5 pick. Same as Gabbert. Why is it such a bad argument.

First of all Gabbert is not in his senior season, he is a JUNIOR, secondly you cant compare football to basketball. NBA drafts players on pure potential only, they dont have to have great stats to be drafted high ie: Ed Davis

Next time you want to argue make a good argument and do some research, thanks

Some of you people are going to be real butt hurt when he is drafted in the 3rd round and not by us.

I'd be very, very surprised, but I won't care all that much. But for him to fall to the third round, something major would have to happen.

I never saw him as being a Panther anyway, I just make stupid nicknames and signatures up for fun.

haha

fact of the matter is the kid is 1st round talent, whether it be this year, last year, or next year.

Im not sitting here trying to defend the fact that we need to take him, I just think its worth a long look considering we need a qb to build around and if the FO decides to take him then im cool with it

that's far from being a fact.

now they should look at him just to cover all their bases, but i really don't see him as being impressive enough to do the job here. i don't doubt that someone will bite early for this guy, but all of these draftniks you read talking him up have made tons of boneheaded projections before and this will just be another one.

there are just too many negatives that people are overlooking out of desperation to have a top rated QB. only reason that he is ranked so high is because people have had more time to pick apart the other QBs in the class.

many people are liking this guy just because of what a couple draftniks have said and many of them say the exact same things about him, like they are all reading from the same script. very few people are making up their own minds about him, but this isn't much of anything new. many times draftniks and wannabe draftniks will end up jumping on players bandwagons mainly going on what other have said about him.

some people just liked the guys potential coming into college (just like they did clausen) and that hype stayed with him to an extent. they were willing to overlook his inadequacies as a passer. they saw what they wanted to see and when he said he was going to enter the draft they just stayed right on his bandwagon. for some reason they saw his bowl game as being impressive. i didn't, but whatever. they have blamed the team and the system for his shortcomings, much like clausen fans are doing now.

the size and system he is coming from may be different from clausen, but i really feel the results will be the same. he isn't confident in the pocket...at the college level. he can't handle the pressure and allows it to cause him to make very bad mistakes. this isn't going to get any easier in the pros and it isn't something that can be coached into him. he's going to get rattled and he is going to make bad mistakes. he is also just way too limited. not just playing in a spread, but his blinders for the right side of the field....of course this has all been said over and over.

you can buy the undeserved hype this guy has surrounding him. i don't care. i just hope the panthers don't bite because they will be regretting it.

Yeah because they get paid 2 do that job.

I'm not coming 2 you for heart surgery. I'll go to a doctor who gets paid and went 2 school for that trade.

Some of you really need too quit with this I'm better then football scouts thing. These people get paid 2 do what they do all year around and give their opinion. You don't!!!! Do they make mistakes somtimes and miss out on some player? Yes!!! But so does the guy who makes my burger and puts mustard on it when I didn't want any. Do you not screw up at your job somtimes?

Why is it that you feel you know better then them? Do whatever job you do and let them do what they do.

Plain and simple if I like 2 go with a scouts opinion more then yours.

Anyone can develop in to a football scout if you grind it out a few years. You watch tape after tape, and do interviews. Its not a hard job when you know what you are looking for. Anyone can be a scout on their own level.

And if you give me onions again when I asked that you hold them, Im a take a stop sign to your dome.

One thing I really like about Gabbert and the reason I like Newton, is size. I'm tired of watching Panther QB's crumble like a rag doll under pressure. I want somebody who is hard to sack even when the O-line sh*ts the bed. You don't even have to have perfect mechanics or be the best at reading defenses if you can extend the plays, because there are very few CB's that can cover for more than 3-4 seconds.

biggest knock on gabbert to me is his pocket awareness. it is HORRIBLE from the film on him that I have seen. he has no feel for the rush and bails easily, just like #2 on our team (I am no longer going to call clausen by his name, but by his number because he doesn't deserve name recognition from me).

Can you teach a feel for pressure?

what other QBs coming out of college had questions about their pocket awareness and ended up doing very well in the NFL? this is not a hypothetical question, i am legitimately interested to see if that is a big factor in determining success at the next level.

Hidden

biggest knock on gabbert to me is his pocket awareness. it is HORRIBLE from the film on him that I have seen. he has no feel for the rush and bails easily, just like #2 on our team (I am no longer going to call clausen by his name, but by his number because he doesn't deserve name recognition from me).

lol

Archived