• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best/Worst Case Scenario Taking a QB #1 Overall

Ricky Spanish

Newton has never taken a beating remotely close the one that Moore and Clausen took this past season. Why believe he could not only endure it, but thrive in it?

well, his skill set simply is going to let him not take the beating of a Clausen. I don't know if he thrive but he is huge and can run.....that makes a big difference. He can see more action behind the OL, it takes more to bring him down and he isn't going to panic scramble.....he would scramble for yards.

What I believe is that he wouldn't be taking some of those hits in the first place. The guy runs a 4.5 40 and he's got about 30+ lbs on Moore and Clausen.

Durability is durability.. either a guy has it or he doesn't. His size wouldn't have mattered much. Palmer , for example, is 6 ft 5 in, 235+ Lbs. I wouldn't say he's a real durable qb.

Clausen, was durable as hell. I didn't think he'd be able to get up from some of the hits he took last year.

Besides, if Newton was on the Panthers last year, do you believe Fox and Davidson would have let him run at his own free will, every play? They wouldn't even change up their play style when it looked like every single defense knew exactly what plays they were going to dial up.

Stop making dumb statements and I'll stop quoting them.

So you actually don't believe that Cam could make more plays than Jimmy? Seriously? Do you have eyes and a brain?

You can talk about footwork and reading defenses until you're blue in the face, but there is just no substitute for physical ability. If a guy has that, the rest can be taught.

Durability is durability.. either a guy has it or he doesn't. His size wouldn't have mattered much. Palmer , for example, is 6 ft 5 in, 235+ Lbs. I wouldn't say he's a real durable qb.

Clausen, was durable as hell. I didn't think he'd be able to get up from some of the hits he took last year.

Besides, if Newton was on the Panthers last year, do you believe Fox and Davidson would have let him run at his own free will, every play? They wouldn't even change up their play style when it looked like every single defense knew exactly what plays they were going to dial up.

didn't Clausen do his painfully slow scramble left to nowhere just about every play?? they didn't stop him from doing that....so why would they stop productive running?

didn't Clausen do his painfully slow scramble left to nowhere just about every play?? they didn't stop him from doing that....so why would they stop productive running?

There is no reason to argue those statements, they are irrelevant. It's not like a coach is going to tell a qb not to scramble. The whole point is that on many plays there was so much pressure, even a player with the athletic ability such as Cams wouldn't have mattered.

I think if any qb is to be taken first, it would have to be Cam.

Making an elementary assumption that the 2011 CBA gets done soon AFTER the draft.

Best Case: Draft Cam Newton, no hold outs, rookie contract not to exceed 30 million guaranteed. Finalized CBA allows him to report according to a traditional NFL offseason training schedule. He demonstrates a willingness and capability to learn plus leadership behaviors to compliment the physical skills we think he has now. Either Jimmy Clausen or Tony Pike steps up and presents a legitimate and exciting competition at the position. All thee Quarterbacks are so good, that we design an unbeatable play where we play all three quarterbacks behind center and the ball is long snapped to one of the three. We have an undefeated season, go to the Superbowl and win 100 to nothing versus New England.

Worst Case: Take Cam first overall, and an undesirable CBA that is unfavorable to owners doesn't get done until September. Cam, like all rookies could not enter a locked out NFL facility for training, so he shows up overweight, and holds out because the franchise refuses to pay him anything near what Matthew Stafford or Sam Bradford got. Rather than cut him loose, we finally sign a bitter player to an expensive contract that is still slightly less than what he expects( ala Dwayne Jarette). The night his contract is signed, he gives an underaged girl some roofies and fugs her in the ass until it bleeds while she is unconscious. Internet scandal video shows him wearing a Panthers hat. He gets a 6 game suspension from Gooddell, comes back and wins just enough games to deny us the Luck pick next year.

Worst case is actually we take a QB, they hold out, they blow when they play, Clausen blows when he plays, we've wasted 2 high picks on a QB, then we get #1 next year and pass on Luck because of it, but are too stupid to trade down so we take an offensive lineman who breaks his leg and retires before he even takes a snap to go into acting.

...also, that won't happen, but I also don't think we're going to take a QB #1. Still plenty of time for one of them to shine but if it's mostly game film they're interested in, they probably won't be going after a QB.

Worst case:

The browns situation with Derek anderson and Brady Quinn... yikes...

This really isn't the worst case scenario. Think about being in that situation AND because we just spend the #1 overall on who-ever-the-f**k-scrub QB in 2011 we automatically pass on Luck and Matt Barkley in 2012.

That's my biggest problem taking a QB in this draft. No matter who we take at #1 we're not winning the super bowl next season. It's going to be a process to get us back into contention and next years QB class looks much better.

Think longterm not just "i hate jimmay gimme a new qb like NOW!!!"

This really isn't the worst case scenario. Think about being in that situation AND because we just spend the #1 overall on who-ever-the-f**k-scrub QB in 2011 we automatically pass on Luck and Matt Barkley in 2012.

That's my biggest problem taking a QB in this draft. No matter who we take at #1 we're not winning the super bowl next season. It's going to be a process to get us back into contention and next years QB class looks much better.

Think longterm not just "i hate jimmay gimme a new qb like NOW!!!"

So in other words lets just throw this season again in the hopes that Luck is as good as hes hyped to be. As it stands now we would need the #1 again to get Luck (personally I think he just lost himself a ton of money, hes losing his coach as well as the majority of his oline and he is playing for Stanford. Luck=Locker 2.0).

As I have stated Newton is definitely worth the #1 overall pick if and only if you are convinced he will have a Manning/Ryan type work ethic and will put in the time (in the Gym, Practive, film room, etc) to get better. If not pick your next BPA that fits that mould. I think work ethic is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pritorty when picking this high. Anyone in top 5 contention has a ton of talent its that work ethic that sets a Peyton Manning apart from the Leafs of the world.

So in other words lets just throw this season again in the hopes that Luck is as good as hes hyped to be. As it stands now we would need the #1 again to get Luck (personally I think he just lost himself a ton of money, hes losing his coach as well as the majority of his oline and he is playing for Stanford. Luck=Locker 2.0).

As I have stated Newton is definitely worth the #1 overall pick if and only if you are convinced he will have a Manning/Ryan type work ethic and will put in the time (in the Gym, Practive, film room, etc) to get better. If not pick your next BPA that fits that mould. I think work ethic is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pritorty when picking this high. Anyone in top 5 contention has a ton of talent its that work ethic that sets a Peyton Manning apart from the Leafs of the world.

Yeah THAT'S what I said :rolleyes:

No that is not what you said cause i agree completely with what you actually said. We need to look at the bigger picture and draft BPA that fits and not worry so much about the nightmare of a season we had on offense. A rookie QB is not gonna be an instant fix.

Archived