• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton to have "private meeting" with J.R.

Catalyst

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I never said it's impossible to find flaws without going to race. I said all the negative comparisons are of Vince Young & Jamarcus Russell and that, when you really get down to it, Newton isn't similar to those guys - at least no more or less than half the white QB's in the NFL.

To me, the fact that the first two names out of everyone's mouth are VY & Russell tells me that race does play some part in the comparison. Not all, but some.

JaMarcus Russell is the chief "boogeyman" for personnel men right now because he's the most recent colossal bust. Pretty much anytime someone gets scared, you'll hear them invoke Russell, regardless of whether there's any similarity or not. The same was true of Ryan Leaf for a long time. Eventually, it'll be someone else.

As far as the Vince Young thing, I think the "icon" bit reminds people of Young's premature "Hall of Fame" speech. Plus, there are some similarities in style.

On the flipside, I've seen people compare Newton to Warren Moon. Outside of race, those two have little to nothing in common as quarterbacks.

I really hope we don't it just seems like he's going to be to much of a project especially after seeing what we saw today (not saying he wont be a good awhile from now) but i'd rather go into next season with clausen/moore/veteran and see if clausen can grow so it's not like we are wasting last years 2nd round pick. give him more weapons a freak like aj green or even julio jones or buff up the defense with bowers or P.P. fairly seems like he could be a potential bust we just need to not waste this pick

fixed

I really hope we don't it just seems like he's going to be to much of a project especially after seeing what we saw today (not saying he wont be a good awhile from now) but i'd rather go into next season with clausen/moore/veteran and see if clausen can grow so it's not like we are wasting last years and this year's 2nd round pick. give him more weapons a freak like aj green or even julio jones or buff up the defense with bowers or P.P. fairly seems like he could be a potential bust we just need to not waste this pick

but in seriousness, even if we do end up with a different QB as our starter I wouldn't look at Clausen as a wasted pick. I think he's gonna be a suitable 2nd stringer. He's gonna sit on the bench and be brought along slowly and eventually be a more than adequate backup and maybe (ideally) trade bait. A 2nd round pick for a solid backup QB isn't a waste, IMO. Obviously there's also a good chance he doesn't even amount to that, but I think he will. He's a smart kid and he has talent, he just got David Carr'd this past year.

If we draft Cam, Clausen will still get his shot this season. I don't think they'll want to start Cam at all. Clausen would head into camp as the #1 QB and stay there as long as he doesn't do anything to lose the job. Even then, I expect they'll bring in someone else who can be the backup.

What I'm saying is: redshirt Cam, start Clausen, but have a backup QB between them in case Jimmy struggles. Who knows, we might just be able to get a solid draft pick out of Clausen when it's all said and done?

If we draft Cam, Clausen will still get his shot this season. I don't think they'll want to start Cam at all. Clausen would head into camp as the #1 QB and stay there as long as he doesn't do anything to lose the job. Even then, I expect they'll bring in someone else who can be the backup.

What I'm saying is: redshirt Cam, start Clausen, but have a backup QB between them in case Jimmy struggles. Who knows, we might just be able to get a solid draft pick out of Clausen when it's all said and done?

Yes but it isn't often that we have the #1 overall pick. Why waste it on someone that is going to not even be playing? It just seems like we could have a very good defense or add more weapons on offense to help Clausen.

Yes but it isn't often that we have the #1 overall pick. Why waste it on someone that is going to not even be playing? It just seems like we could have a very good defense or add more weapons on offense to help Clausen.

He won't play as a rookie; he will play. And to answer your question: because Cam Newton has the potential to be insanely good.

Archived