• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we HAVE to take Newton?

Awesomeness!!

Has the potential, talent and is media savvy enough to be that type of sports figure Cam does have that star power ala a LeBron James. The attention is just the icing on the cake if he does in fact put in the work to be the best QB Cam Newton can be lol.

Honestly, we don't HAVE to do anything. Once again I find it a bad decision making model in general just to gamble with these cold odds. This is the draft, it's a recruitment process, so first and foremost you only draft him if you like him.

This. Drafting him for attention is dumb. Winning gets attention. If they think he can help us win long term then draft him. If not then don't.

As an Alabama fan, I don't necessarily like Cam Newton to be honest. I don't think he is as evil as some on this board try to make believe. Hes probably a decent dude. I just don't think he is that awesome of a QB. He has talent, but so did half of this board at one time. Talent can only get you so far. I want to know about his work ethic to be honest. A pooty combine is irrelevant if hes willing to work to get better. I'm hoping he is. I think he'll be great if thats the case.

However, with that being said, look at our team. No, look at our franchise. We are nobodys in this league. We're right there with the Jags, and if we pass on Cam, we become the Bills (The Jags at least win every now and then). Jimmy Clausen is a bum. That can't be debated. He sucks. Take the L on him, and move on. Cam offers something that no player in this draft offers. Attention. Media attention can be good. We become a noticeable fanbase, FAs come here to play, we get more than one MNF game every 8 years etc. Vick wasn't that great of a QB (at first) but he turned Atlanta into the ATL. The Falcons finally mattered, and they won. We're at a crossroads.

We can either take the steps to become a team that matters, or continue becoming two steps ahead of the Jags. Drafting Cam Newton might be a must. He is the biggest boom or bust in any draft I can remember, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. If he is good, we're relevant. Charlotte becomes the CRT. Ok maybe not, but you get the point. If he sucks, after a year or two he realize he sucks, and we draft another QB. If we can, trade down, and pick him up. If not, draft him number 1. This franchise needs it.

Pretty sure every #1 pick brings attention, won't matter who we draft.

We honestly just need Ws, that's all

Yep. I agree with your points so far....and I think its blatantly obvious Rivera wants to find his own hand picked QB to take us to the promised land. So it just baffles me why people are trying to convince themselves we are in no way taking a QB in this draft on top of the fact that it is our biggest need and the most important position on an NFL offense (and we happened to be one of the worst offenses in NFL history last year)

I want wins, we all do, and we desperately need a QB. Why the hell not? Its totally worth the risk. If not, so be it, the search is still on.

I'd rather risk finding a stud that can really catapult this franchise rather than going anywhere from 5-11 to 8-8 with some 35 year old vet for a few years. I just don't see the appeal of the Vet QB scenario at all anymore. It will only make sense if we additionally draft a pick, not have a John Fox era Clausen who has shown nothing learn from a slightly above avg Bulger, McNabb, or Volek. Rivera wants and needs his own guy...not a filtered Fox product when Chud is completely revamping this offense probably in a similar style of the early 00s Miami super-juggernaut. Ryan, Flacco, Big Ben, etc. were all thrown in their first seasons, why the hell not try it ourselves. It can work wonders.

Being perpetually average is worse than perpetual suck?

If you need a QB it is. We all know Cam and Gab have questions. If we are stuck picking 11-20 every year you are in a situation where the QB's available have more questions or less upside than Mr. Icon or yo gabba gabba.

I didn't say we would suck without him. I said he would remain 2 steps ahead of the Jags.....barley. We need our Mike Vick. Our MJ. Our Lebron. Why do we always get stuck with Jason Kidd?

I wish Charlotte had a Jason Kidd ... I think you mean, why do we always get stuck with Glen Rice

My guess is Rivera wants to find the future QB now. My guess also is that his homework on this will make Hurney look slack. 3rd guess is....if a QB is drafted...there will be a vet on the team that Rivera hopes to start at least a year. Cam is an awesome athlete....it would be great if he looked like the guy. But, respect that Rivera is much more QB friendly than Fox....so will trust him with that decision. Just hate that the draft is so far away.

Why? Just curious :coolgleamA:

Because have you seen the QBs in the draft this year? They aren't very good and to draft one just because we need a QB when in normal years they are bottom of round 1 or top of round 2 guys at best is silly. We could draft a better overall player on either offense or defense to make an impact sooner.

Remove Clausen and Davidson from the offense and add Chud and it's immediately better, probably at least up to #20. If you get some guys healthy again that were injured last year, you can expect to move up a little from there. So with the same exact roster but some "starters" moved around and one added impact player on either offense or defense, I expect the whole team to be better and the offense to be much improved.

If you choose to add a "better" QB through FA or trade, it could improve the offense even more, depending on what you really think of the guys we have now.

You take Green, PP, or MD at this point and the team gets an immediate improvement. You take a QB and nothing changes.

I don't know how to stress enough that just because you need a QB you don't take one if they aren't good enough.

If you wanted to buy a 3D TV for 5K and you went to Best Buy with 5k and they said "Well we are all out of 3D TV's but we have this used 19 inch from 1998 and it will still cost you 5k" you don't say "fug well I do need a TV so I guess I will take it" you get the fug outta there and try and buy a nicer couch or some poo with your money, not some shitty TV

Archived