• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Mallet Scenario

Stroupe-a-loop

It seems like a lot of the talk on the board has shifted, a bit, to the discussion of Cam Newton. I think it's obvious that the front office wants another quarterback on the roster, and the two consensus picks have been discussed to death. However, I think there is a chance that the team will trade down, look to pick up a second and get a Green/Fairley/Quinn, and then package the second and other picks to move back up and grab Ryan Mallet.

I think this scenario makes sense on a number of levels. This draft doesn't have a clear cut top pick, but it doesn't have a number of blue chip guys with massive upside and who may make an impact right away, and we desperately need another option at quarterback. This move gives us the best of both worlds (kinda) at a minimum cost. I'm not high on Mallet, but he might be the best fit for the vertical offense with his ability to push it downfield.

I think the obvious and most likely scenario is to stay put and take somebody at one. There may just not be a trade available to us. However, I think Hurney fancies himself a wheeler and dealer, and if this scenario made itself available, I think he would probably pull the trigger on it.

If there is any truth at all to cocaine use then Mallet has zero chance to be a Panther. Personally that makes me happy, I would rather have Newton behind center then Mallet anyway. Mallet is going to be a huge HUGE bust. He absolutely folds when pressure gets close to him, think a slower, bigger version of Pickles in the pocket. Mallet just has the huge arm that people are enamored by....

There is no way we would draft Mallet. I could see us trading fown and getting a Dalton before we would take a chance on Mallett. Frankly I don't know why we are bringing him in for a workout. Cllausen makes a better face of the franchise than Mallett would, and that is saying something.

I still haven't seen anything remotely resembling evidence that he has ever used cocaine or any sort of illegal drug. As to the character issues, he doesn't seem any more cocky than a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees. And I don't mean the "I've accomplished something so I can be cocky" I mean the kind of cocky that was ingrained in their personalities before they ever accomplished anything. I would be quite ok with picking up Dareus or Green and then Mallett near the top of the 2nd. If there are legitimate questions about his character, they won't draft him anyway. If they do draft him, I'd trust he's about as squeaky clean as a prospect could be. Rivera, Hurney and Richardson won't draft him if there's even a small chance of the cocaine rumors being true.

I don't know now likely it is that this scenario plays out, but I wouldn't mind at all if it did. Actually, depending on what we gave up for the pick we got Mallett with, I'd prefer it.

I don't get the hate for Mallett. He's 10 times the QB that Gabbert is.

Archived