• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you believe QBs need to sit in order to be successful, you're basically a retard.

SmootsDaddy89

Depends on the QB and the staff around him. Do you now trust the staff around "Cam" to start and get better?

One thing hasn't changed....

the personel in Carolina makes it an ideal place for a rookie to start. Good OL when healthy, top notch backfield, and decent D.

the only way to get experience and learn is by starting...not saying they have to be on the field week 1 but i don't think they need to sit an entire season...it all comes down to how well they know the playbook...if they know the plays they need to be on the field getting that experience

:iagree:

Many will point to Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers as examples of successful QBs who sat early in their careers. The problem with this line of reasoning is Rivers and Rodgers had established QBs ahead of them on the depth chart - Brees and Favre, respectively. The Panthers don't have that luxury, unless Moore or another FA shows they're capable of manning the position until Clausen or perhaps Cam Newton are ready. And the current labor situation notwithstanding, the crop of FA QBs leave much to be desired. It's no guarantee that bringing in a FA would be any more successful than developing our own in the long term.

FYI most consider Clausen as a starting rookie, even though he didn't even start the whole year...

The same things this argument for letting Cam or Gabbert start immediately can be applied to Clausen...

...growing pains and all...

So, my argument against drafting a QB for these same reasons stand... Give Clausen a fair shot...

QBs are going to learn a lot more out on the field then they will with a clipboard..you just have to hope what they learn is the right thing and not bad habits. Sitting on the bench might give them a slight grasp on how the QB position needs to be played..but until they see the speed of the game for themselves they won't truly become what they can be.

He'll probably sit some games though getting to know the playbook and the audibles(which are the only thing you really learn by not playing) etc ..unless he shows he's head and shoulders above the rest in preseason/training camp.

One thing hasn't changed....

the personel in Carolina makes it an ideal place for a rookie to start. Good OL when healthy, top notch backfield, and decent D.

Our OL was horrible last year and Otah hurts himself just by breathing...

DWill might be out of the picture, and Mike Goodson is basically Deshaun Foster... I love J Stew, but with his style he only really has about 3-4 good years left...

Our D couldn't handle anybody last year...

What about Brady? He came right in and won a Superbowl...

And he had similar stats to what Jake Delhomme had in 2003. Yes, he won a Super Bowl, but he also got insanely lucky on a call we all know very well and was helped by a great supporting cast in New England. There's no question that he struggled greatly during his first season as a starter

He had 145 yards and 1 TD in that Super Bowl. Compare that with what Aaron Rodgers did against a defense that was just as good.

QBs are going to learn a lot more out on the field then they will with a clipboard..you just have to hope what they learn is the right thing and not bad habits. Sitting on the bench might give them a slight grasp on how the QB position needs to be played..but until they see the speed of the game for themselves they won't truly become what they can be.

He'll probably sit some games though getting to know the playbook and the audibles(which are the only thing you really learn by not playing) etc ..unless he shows he's head and shoulders above the rest in preseason/training camp.

QB's need to learn the offense and how to read defenses before you put them out on the field, or they are doomed to fail. Cam hasn't been asked to read defenses much and has never had to read NFL defenses, so it would be unfair to him (and foolish) to throw him to the wolves... the only thing he'll learn is how to get hit in the back of the head and throw picks (see David Carr).

Our OL was horrible last year and Otah hurts himself just by breathing...

DWill might be out of the picture, and Mike Goodson is basically Deshaun Foster... I love J Stew, but with his style he only really has about 3-4 good years left...

Our D couldn't handle anybody last year...

i disagree with your last point. our D kept us in quite a few games... until they got tired because the offense wasn't doing shit.

Considering you're one of the most consistently useless posters on this forum, I'll take that as a compliment.

And yes, I evidently can't count. But Rivers sitting for two seasons and still having two mediocre to above-average seasons afterwards just further proves my point that QBs are going to struggle at first whether they sit or not.

And I don't care what the Chargers' record was in 2006. It's a team sport. LT set records that year and they had a top 10 defense. But sure, Rivers did it all by himself. HE WAS SO GOOD!!!!

And you clearly weren't lurking San Diego's message boards before our game against them in 2008. There were a number of people who considered that to be his "make or break" year.

Feel free to go visit Fukushima in swim trunks now.

Should I feel ashamed that I am not a useful poster on an NFL message board?

Yup, Rivers struggled horribly in his first two seasons, throwing for only 6500+ yards, with 43 TDs and a horrible 24 INT's.

Didn't say that Rivers was great, nor that it was him that was carrying the Chargers. What I did say is that he was a good QB in his first year starting, as was Rodgers, and I think that both of them benefited from sitting.

Oh poo, I forgot that owners, GM's, and NFL players post on message boards, and that the most rational fans are on there too. Using message boards as a means of evaluating players is new to the scenes, and from now on will be used by GM's to figure out teams rosters.

Archived