• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Redskins looking to trade back -- not up.

teeray

First a preview of Smileys: The Movie presented by The Smileys:

new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif :willy_nilly: drooling.gifviolent.gifpimp.gif

And now the main feature:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/28610589

There have been some reports that the Washington Redskins are looking to trade up to draft a quarterback.

I hear it's the exact opposite.

According to a league source, the Redskins are looking to trade down in the first round with the idea they will draft either Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder or TCU quarterback Andy Dalton.

The Redskins, who pick 10th overall, would like to get a second-round pick from a team in exchange for moving back to their spot in the first round. They could then use their two second-round picks to bolster the defense.

For a team that doesn't have a third-round pick, this scenario makes a lot more sense than trying to trade up.

The X-factor here would be if Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert were to fall to them at the 10th spot. The Redskins would likely take him there, rather than trading back.

One team that is said to be eyeing the 10th spot is the New England Patriots, who have two first-round picks and two second-round picks. The Patriots might have their eye on an edge rusher -- like Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue -- or a receiver like Julio Jones of Alabama.

No matter if they trade down or not, the Redskins have to get a quarterback in this draft. Donovan McNabb is on his way out and Rex Grossman isn't the answer and he's a free agent.

The only quarterback on the roster is John Beck. Not a chance he's the opening-day starter, which is why a trade back in th first round makes sense.

I think the Panthers will at least get some inquiries, but Washington never made sense to me.

The only way they (Wash) are ever going to get headed on the right track is to use the draft as their primary way of acquiring their core. They are a good example of a team that thought they could just add a couple of good FA's, sprinkle in some trades using draft picks as currency, and quickly get to the promised land.

Instead, they just find themselves in a deeper hole every year. Trading down makes much more sense for them.

lol the confirmation bias of some of the people on this board is so unabashedly blatant it's ridiculous

"I don't agree with the premise of this link so I seriously question if not debase it completely"

"I agree with the premise of this link, so I will not question it at all, in fact, I may even pie the OP or add to the discussion"

Both stories have been floating around.

Possible rationales could be 1) the Redskins are smokescreening heavily 2) some other team is circulating stuff for their own reasons or 3) the Redskins have no clue what they're doing.

Option 3 is probably a pretty safe choice.

Nobody worth trading up for.

I'd agree, but the Redskins might not.

There's a school of thought that evaluations and decision making are tougher in down years. I tend to agree with that, and I also agree that - at least as far as the quarterback spot goes - this is a down year.

Archived