• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Rice: Accuracy, not race, the issue with Cam Newton

mav1234

“I think the NFL is so much further now,” Rice said. “I don’t think race is a factor.”

Rice said he has met Newton and came away impressed, both with Newton’s attitude and with what an imposing physical specimen Newton is. But Rice said that there are legitimate questions about whether Newton has the tools to be a pro-style passer.

“It’s going to boil down to accuracy,” Rice said. “He’s going to have to be able to drop back, plant himself and deliver that football. During his workouts the ball was a little high, all over the place.”

Ultimately, that’s the only question that matters about Newton: Whether he can transition from a great spread-offense quarterback in college to a great pro-style quarterback in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/21/jerry-rice-accuracy-not-race-the-issue-with-cam-newton/

seems like maybe some of us who had football-related questions about him weren't crazy after all. Not saying those questions will keep him from being drafted, but...

Glad to hear there is an ex-player with common sense. As I have said before, if there was a purple alien QB that showed up to practice in a flying saucer that was going to be the next Peyton Manning - he would go #1.

Glad to hear there is an ex-player with common sense. As I have said before, if there was a purple alien QB that showed up to practice in a flying saucer that was going to be the next Peyton Manning - he would go #1.

Have you actually said that before? If so, it's kinda funny. Truth is, an alien would never make it through government agencies to play football. Ya know, unless he had legal immigration papers, which seems unlikely!

Of course he's not the finished product like many of us Cam believers have been saying he will have to put in the work to get better. Race becomes a factor IMO for those that believe he'll get his money,an might get lazy (look to the Russell comparisons).

I'll take the word of a guy like Warren Moon who's actually played QB in the NFL and lived thru the experience vs. a guy like Jerry Rice who never played with one in the NFL. Respect his opinion, but he's in a dream world if he doesnt think the identity of a QB doesnt play into his perception. The QB position is basically the tool the NFL uses to market the game to certain fans. Change that dynamic, and the NFL is basically the NBA.

I'll take the word of a guy like Warren Moon who's actually played QB in the NFL and lived thru the experience vs. a guy like Jerry Rice who never played with one in the NFL. Respect his opinion, but he's in a dream world if he doesnt think the identity of a QB doesnt play into his perception. The QB position is basically the tool the NFL uses to market the game to certain fans. Change that dynamic, and the NFL is basically the NBA.

bullsh|t

pure bullsh|t

..as usual

As they pointed out in the combine though, he was late getting out from under center which threw off the rhythm of his drop back, plant, and throw... Because his feet were off, he tried to compensate with his arm and the throws were off. With coaching, this should be easily fixable - his delivery itself isn't an issue, and game film shows he's really accurate throwing it deep for the most part - which is what we need.

I don't think the workouts were determinant of his ability to become a great pro. He shows up on gamedays.

Archived