• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking the 15th ranked player with the #1 overall pick doesn't make much sense...

Darth Urious

That's true, but it depends on how much they are willing to give up for Luck. I personally would be willing to give up two entire drafts for him, as he is an athletic version of Peyton Manning. Yes he is a gamble, but he is more than worth it. Plus, if I build my defense to be the best (and Rivera is more than capable of doing that), that will help in Luck's room for error.

that would be absurd....

also, Peyton played in the SEC and wasn't deemed a "lock" when he came out. Luck should not be considered a lock b/c of 1 season in the Pac10.

Andrew Luck is probably the most overrated person associates w/ the game of football right now.

He had the least significant of shoulder surgeries to repair his injury and the surgery often leads to having a stronger arm afterwards. Moore is already throwing, and you bet that the team is aware of how well he is looking doing it, one way or another.

You don't put all your eggs in any basket at this point... Regardless of who you draft.

The key thing is this: Is Cam Newton going to develop into the quarterback you want to build around or not?

If you think he is, you probably want to draft him. If he isn't, you probably don't. Where the Panthers fit? We don't know.

I have heard that one before.....;)

I have heard that one before.....;)

haha, yeah - but I don't think Jake's problem is physical, I think it's mental... Sure he occasionally had bad games before Arizona, but man, something just snapped in him that game and he never looked the same again :(

that would be absurd....

also, Peyton played in the SEC and wasn't deemed a "lock" when he came out. Luck should not be considered a lock b/c of 1 season in the Pac10.

Andrew Luck is probably the most overrated person associates w/ the game of football right now.

Of course I wouldn't trade away two entire drafts without a plan going in. Yet, let's see what Luck does this season. We have to remember that Elway played for the same team, and led the Broncos to five superbowl appearences. Elway actually put the Broncos on the map for being a great franchise. (Of course Elway played in a different time)

Of course I wouldn't trade away two entire drafts without a plan going in. Yet, let's see what Luck does this season. We have to remember that Elway played for the same team, and led the Broncos to five superbowl appearences. Elway actually put the Broncos on the map for being a great franchise. (Of course Elway played in a different time)

so Carolina should tread water to "wait and see" if Luck has another impressive year......and then wait and see if they even could land the guy in the draft.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world.....but that doesn't seem smart.

On an unrelated note, John Elways is vastly overrated.

so Carolina should tread water to "wait and see" if Luck has another impressive year......and then wait and see if they even could land the guy in the draft.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world.....but that doesn't seem smart.

On an unrelated note, John Elways is vastly overrated.

JR was very distraught when Luck went back to college. It was clear he wanted Luck. It's not the same with Newton. So if we did pass up Newton, I don't think our owner would be disappointed. We know Luck will be the first overall pick no matter what happens in college (unless he has an unbelievably bad season, he would have to try his hardest not to be the number overall), so I think Jerry would be in favor of hatching a plan to get him.

Andrew Luck may not come out next year either. Should we just continue to try to suck until the great Luck comes out.

What if he is is Jeff George who was the most hyped QB to come out in years?? That would suck to waste all those seasons for Jeff George wouldn't it?

Let me preface this with the clearly stated opinion that I don't want to draft a QB at all... Andrew Luck probably wouldn't change that either, so I have no bias against any player... if anything it is a bias against drafting a QB...

That said... How can you justify taking Newton ahead of someone like Dareus, who is often ranked at least 8 or so players ahead of him in most scouts eyes?

I get that some people believe QB is a dire need... I get that some people want to roll the dice on Cam if for no other reason to bring some excitement to the field and hope that the risk translates into rewards...

But, in all seriousness, how do you justify such a roll of the dice when there are players figured to be better at their positions (some of which we could use more than a little help with) across the collective boards?

Most scouts have Dareus, Peterson, Green, and Miller all rated at the top of the draft, yet some people are so set on the Panthers and Newton being a match that I just don't get it completely...

The easy justification is that he is the highest ranked QB at a position of need. Every year quarterbacks are not the highest rated players but they are chosen first. Look at Bradford last year, he wasn't the highest ranked player in the draft but the highest ranked quarterback and was chosen first.

Go back over the past 10 drafts and you will see a similar pattern. A QB is rarely the best player in the draft but usually goes first or second. Not because they are the BPA but are the best QB in the draft.

JR was very distraught when Luck went back to college. It was clear he wanted Luck. It's not the same with Newton. So if we did pass up Newton, I don't think our owner would be disappointed. We know Luck will be the first overall pick no matter what happens in college (unless he has an unbelievably bad season, he would have to try his hardest not to be the number overall), so I think Jerry would be in favor of hatching a plan to get him.

We don't know that......the list of guys who are projected X and a year later are Y is countless.

If Luck has a down year then he will just be a Pac10 QB who had a good sophomore year......then you have an entire draft class that will make there own name/placement.

If Luck turns out to be the projected #1 and awesome.....odds wouldn't be great Carolina would be able to land him

Andrew Luck may not come out next year either. Should we just continue to try to suck until the great Luck comes out.

What if he is is Jeff George who was the most hyped QB to come out in years?? That would suck to waste all those seasons for Jeff George wouldn't it?

And yet what if Luck turns out to be the greatest QB to ever strap up? I think the odds are more in favor of this happening then anything else. Even if it doesn't happen, he will still be a great QB.

I do wonder however, why no teams are willing to trade up for Cam Newton, yet if Luck was in the draft, I'm sure many teams would have Carolina's phones off the hooks.

We don't know that......the list of guys who are projected X and a year later are Y is countless.

If Luck has a down year then he will just be a Pac10 QB who had a good sophomore year......then you have an entire draft class that will make there own name/placement.

If Luck turns out to be the projected #1 and awesome.....odds wouldn't be great Carolina would be able to land him

Even for two entire drafts? (Which I do agree probably wouldn't be enough, but that is a historic trade offer)

And yet what if Luck turns out to be the greatest QB to ever strap up? I think the odds are more in favor of this happening then anything else. Even if it doesn't happen, he will still be a great QB.

I do wonder however, why no teams are willing to trade up for Cam Newton, yet if Luck was in the draft, I'm sure many teams would have Carolina's phones off the hooks.

What if Cam becomes the greatest QB ever to strap up?? We can go around in circles all day on this.

BTW Luck has a lot of things to work on before I can say that he has favorable odds to be the greatest QB of all time.

Archived