• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An interesting quote (Re: the effort question)

Mr. Scot

Hes just such a huge freaking physical specimen that people think he should sack a quarterback every play. Watching a lot of plays, JP is always in or around the tackle. Runs that go 10-15 yards downfield I see number 90 there like 90% of the time.

I just don't think he is built emotionally to get that extra 5-10 percent that some players can buy hyping themselves up. That being said, 75% Julius Peppers > 90% Kampman (no one goes 100% everyplay). NFL is a buisness. Quit putting emotions into your thinking. Its obvious that JP even at whatever percentage you think hes playing is still top 5 in the league defensive end. TOP FIVE DE's do not come along everyday.

Hes 283 pounds, 6'7" with long arms and runs a 4.5. A ************ 4.5!!!!!!!! Suck up the emotions and pray on your Carolina Panther Shrine that it somehow works out that he stays. Or at least someone gives up a 2 first round picks for him.

While we are discussing 75% of Peppers versus 100% of someone else lets throw in the money. We are paying him more than any other DE in the league and offered him even more. I realize it may not motivate him but the question remains whether he is worth it or not. I don't hear people say he is the best DE in the game yet he is being paid that way. If he is top 5 then he should be getting paid around 8-9 million a year. For that price it would be appropriate. Yet he wants to be paid the most of anyone without the production or stats.

As Parcells has said in the past, a player really is as good as his numbers says he is. Right now Peppers has averaged 10 sacks per year over his career. That is what he is worth. Is he worth 17 million this year. Not even close. Hurney needs to trade him because the money is ridiculous for a guy that if we keep him, everyone wonders if he will play hard or disappear this year. You can't pay that much money for a guy who has a motivational issue.

I wonder how many teams are going to pony up as well. Peppers may find that not everyone is dying to get him contrary to his opinion of himself.

Hes 283 pounds, 6'7" with long arms and runs a 4.5. A ************ 4.5!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you're really not quoting workout numbers from the combine from 7 years ago. If those numbers meant anything Mike Mamula would be in the Hall of Fame. Those numbers don't keep him from being blocked by Wayne Gandy.

The 40 yard time is the most hilarious of all stats. All it means it that they someone can run fast in a straight line without pads on. Vernon Davis and Vernon Gholston ran fast 40 times too for their respective positions. How's that working out for them?

Um..the reason Peppers is even a discussion is that he is a monster (when he wants to be). He is one of the few defensive ends in the league that has to be game planned for. Yeah he isn't double teamed as much because people just throw the ball quickly since we play zone all the tie. But he almost always chipped (except for certain players guarding him).

I'm quoting his last measurable statistics. Mamula, Davis, and Ghoulston haven't done anything. Julius Peppers has (whether you want to argue that he could have done more is moot). He is coming off the pro-bowl. He is coming off the most sacks of his career and tied for most forced fumbles of his career. What else do we want a DE to do? I repeat, he is a top 5 DE. Top 5 DE's don't grow on trees.

I'm saying that everyone here seems to want him gone because he hurt their feelings. Suck it up. Like Marty Hurney we should just be worried about what is best for the panthers. Julius Peppers playing for panthers under a long term contract should be option A. Everything else is option B. NFL contracts are made to not last forever. Players are cut/dropped all the time. If he signs and doesn't perform, then we deal with it. Saying he might not play as hard is a cop out.

I'm saying that everyone here seems to want him gone because he hurt their feelings.

Not me, I want him gone because I don' think he is worth what the Panthers are willing to pay. He's on the back edge of his peak, physically he isn't going to get any better, and IMO he's shown the lack of mentality to be the highest paid defencive player in the league.

He isn't directly replaceable, but a first a third and roughly 17 million in spending money is more valuable at this point than Pep.

You don't pay a guy who plays "good" like a guy who plays "great", even if that guy could play "great" if he tried a little harder.

I think plenty of people would be in favor of keeping Peppers at a salary that was in line with his production, but making him the highest paid defender in the league when he's arguably not a sgood as he could be? That's where people have an issue.

I don't have a problem with the players salaries. At one time, I use to. Not anymore.

The year to year market for the position is what drives the prices for the top free agents ~ which becomes which team that is also an attractive landing place, can offer the most money.

With Julius ~ he's going to get paid no matter what. While many say they'd rather see another team pay him then, I know our defense will be much weaker without Julius.

I don't have a problem with the players salaries. At one time, I use to. Not anymore.

The year to year market for the position is what drives the prices for the top free agents ~ which becomes which team that is also an attractive landing place, can offer the most money.

With Julius ~ he's going to get paid no matter what. While many say they'd rather see another team pay him then, I know our defense will be much weaker without Julius.

It's not a problem with the money, it's what it does to the teams available cap payroll. It's about getting the most bang for your buck.... See New England.

If you overpay for any position you weaken the team, if you grossly overpay players by 3 or 4 million per year your backing up into a deep hole.... See Washington.

Another interesting realistic scenerio (that may have been mentioed in the 2,903 different threads on here) is what if Peppers agrees to sign the tag IF the FO agrees not to franchise him again this time next year? Very possible. Do you take the trade and draft picks this year and lose him. Or do you get one more full year hoping he can play like it was a contract year again (and perhaps be more consistent) and also hope that he changes his tune & agrees to a long term deal after the season but also risk losing him with no compensation?

I say take the latter. At his age, we would have him for one more year during his peak production time on a team that has shown it can win three out of every four games.

I am all for building for the future but you need to strike while the iron is hot and I think that our O will be the best ever under the Fox era next year and our D will be better with a few free agent teaks and the draft. Plus Pep would want to play lights out to show future teams (or us perhaps) that he is still worth a big contract even though the 20's are behind him.

Archived