• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reactions after the pick

Ricky Spanish

I was drinking all night and when the pick came around, I was not all that happy, but you all knew I wouldn't be. however, there were a few good things I grasped from the whole thing:

1: Cam Newton is not Jimmy clausen. He is therefore, a better QB based on name alone.

2: I LOVED that when suzy asked Cam what was next for him he said he was going to go to work. I can't stress how good it was to hear that from him, especially with all the questions surrounding him. perfect answer.

3: Cam looked damn good in panther blue didn't he?

4: I can't remember the last Time I saw an image of a Panther being selected in the first round that actually attended the draft and got to hold the jersey next to the commish. that was cool.

I'm trying to be optimistic here guys. I really am. I hope Cam works out for us. At the beginning of the draft process, I said that if there is a QB in the draft that you feel is franchise QB worthy, then you take him regardless of where he is projected. The Panthers did just that in selecting Newton. I may not be thrilled at the moment, but I hope I will be in the near future.

Welcome to Carolina Cam, bring us the Lombardi.

Is it group hug time?

Have you seen some of the guys that post here? :eek:

Posted a full set of reactions elsewhere, but a little more here.

I was helping a friend coach a kid's flag football time when the whole thing happened, and then wound up staying late at his place to talk about that and other stuff. In the process, an old Cowboys fan friend of mine called to give me heck about the pick. Told him it wasn't mu choice but I would hope for the best (and will).

I was back and forth all day, but I told my boss that i just hope he lives up to the potential if we pick him. Well, we picked him, and I was kind of glad that we did!

When I saw him on the phone, I was guardedly optimistic. I smiled a little bit (perhaps more out of seeing his happiness/relief). I am not going to get too high on the guy before I get to see him show some real promise under center. But, I wouldn't have been doing a fist shake for anybody (not named A.J. Green). All-in-all, I am optimistic that he will be a top 10 kinda dude, because I trust that Hurney and Rivera (Chud, etc.) have to know what they're doing after looking into everything except Cam's jock.

I was drinking all night and when the pick came around, I was not all that happy, but you all knew I wouldn't be. however, there were a few good things I grasped from the whole thing:

4: I can't remember the last Time I saw an image of a Panther being selected in the first round that actually attended the draft and got to hold the jersey next to the commish. that was cool.

Last time was this guy JuliusPeppers.jpg

I'm excited. This could end up being a turning point in our franchise history. It might end up blowing up in our faces. But right now I'm proud to be a Panther, I'm excited for Cameron J. Newton to do "work" and put this city on the map.

1: Cam Newton is not Jimmy clausen. He is therefore, a better QB based on name alone.

2: I LOVED that when suzy asked Cam what was next for him he said he was going to go to work. I can't stress how good it was to hear that from him, especially with all the questions surrounding him. perfect answer.

I'm trying to be optimistic here guys. I really am. I hope Cam works out for us. At the beginning of the draft process, I said that if there is a QB in the draft that you feel is franchise QB worthy, then you take him regardless of where he is projected. The Panthers did just that in selecting Newton. I may not be thrilled at the moment, but I hope I will be in the near future.

First, I felt a little sick. Then I prayed he would be the best quarterback since Manning elder. Then I thought, "If he busts, I wonder who our next coach will be", then I got sick again. I'm going to support him as much as I support Beason, Deangelo, et al, but he better be worth it.

Though it wasn't my choice, he's a Panther now. All we can do is watch and hope... and I'm honestly excited for the preseason reports...

Have you seen some of the guys that post here? :eek:

Posted a full set of reactions elsewhere, but a little more here.

I was helping a friend coach a kid's flag football time when the whole thing happened, and then wound up staying late at his place to talk about that and other stuff. In the process, an old Cowboys fan friend of mine called to give me heck about the pick. Told him it wasn't mu choice but I would hope for the best (and will).

Way to suck it up guys... Wish everyone was the same.

I was back and forth all day, but I told my boss that i just hope he lives up to the potential if we pick him. Well, we picked him, and I was kind of glad that we did!

When I saw him on the phone, I was guardedly optimistic. I smiled a little bit (perhaps more out of seeing his happiness/relief). I am not going to get too high on the guy before I get to see him show some real promise under center. But, I wouldn't have been doing a fist shake for anybody (not named A.J. Green). All-in-all, I am optimistic that he will be a top 10 kinda dude, because I trust that Hurney and Rivera (Chud, etc.) have to know what they're doing after looking into everything except Cam's jock.

I feel the same. I said before the draft that whoever Hurney chose I would be happy with. I have always supported Cam but also knew we had other needs. For Hurney to select cam it shows me that he has the tools and work ethic to be great in this lead. Hurney has always been money round one and I think this time will be no exception.

I guess the best word to describe the whole situation would be "Surreal".

It was surreal to see us picking first, to see us take a QB, and to see that QB being Cam Newton.

Just watched the press conference with Hurney and Rivera and after hearing what they had to say about all the work and time they put into everyone, Cam Came out ahead time and time again. That says a lot about the kid, especially considering how we need help in other areas. Just tells me that they think he is a really really special kid that they believe in, so I'm going to try to as well.

Still not buying his jersey until he earns my money though.

Archived