• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Traveling to NYC - need advice!

Chaos

Okay fellow Huddlers, I'm heading up to NY on business and I've never been before. I'm a little stressed out over all the transit logistics, and was hoping that someone here with Big Apple experience can share some wisdom.

My itinerary is I fly into LGA Monday and will need to get up to White Plains. I know there is a van service I found for about $50, so I will probably try that. I'm in White Plains all day Tuesday, and then it gets tricky.

I need to get down to a hotel in Jersey on the waterfront across from Manhattan, as I will be meeting in Jersey City for half-day Wednesday. What's the most practical, and more important, safest way for me to do this? Remember, I will have my luggage with me. I know there are rail, taxi, and bus options, with different connections. I just want to make the fewest transitions I can, and avoid the worst areas of town, all while keeping costs in mind.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Taxis are going to be expensive. It would be cheaper to rent a car rather than taxi.

That said, the rail system up there is pretty good, but I am not sure about to and from White Plains.

Every time I go up for more than a few days I always rent a compact. Just remember to pack your Garmin, and don't rent one from them.

Okay fellow Huddlers, I'm heading up to NY on business and I've never been before. I'm a little stressed out over all the transit logistics, and was hoping that someone here with Big Apple experience can share some wisdom.

My itinerary is I fly into LGA Monday and will need to get up to White Plains. I know there is a van service I found for about $50, so I will probably try that. I'm in White Plains all day Tuesday, and then it gets tricky.

I need to get down to a hotel in Jersey on the waterfront across from Manhattan, as I will be meeting in Jersey City for half-day Wednesday. What's the most practical, and more important, safest way for me to do this? Remember, I will have my luggage with me. I know there are rail, taxi, and bus options, with different connections. I just want to make the fewest transitions I can, and avoid the worst areas of town, all while keeping costs in mind.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Yeah i have had to get from NYC to north jersey with luggage a couple of times and have always just hired a car. Its $100 from midtown Manhattan to Morristown NJ last time I did it. just too much of a pain to deal with other transit when you have bags.

the best advice is dont go, fug that place.

Bitness trip, didn't have much choice. Plus, I don't want to miss an opportunity to see NYC on the company's dime. Plus, we get an enhanced per diem up there - something tells me $40 per day won't get it done.

i was blown away with how efficient the subway system in NYC is. has to be the best in the country, so getting around town is easy. and the city is very safe, especially in manhattan and around the touristy spots.

as for getting to jersey, depending on where you are you can take a NJ transit train out of Penn Station and catch a cab at Secaucus Junction or one of the other stops up in north jersey.

Taxis are going to be expensive. It would be cheaper to rent a car rather than taxi.

That said, the rail system up there is pretty good, but I am not sure about to and from White Plains.

Every time I go up for more than a few days I always rent a compact. Just remember to pack your Garmin, and don't rent one from them.

renting a car and driving is cool in most places but I wouldn't recommend doing it in NYC. Too difficult of drive for a NY newb

I don't know a lot about traveling from white plains to jersey city... Did a little research and it appears to be a bit of mutherf*cker. You could drive, but I wouldn't recommend it. Driving in NYC is fun as hell unless you are actually trying to get somewhere and the NJ interstates are almost impossible to decipher. If you have a gps things get a whole lot easier. You won't get lost, you might get stuck.

As far as public transport, there is no one-shot way to get where you're going.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=white+plains,+NY&daddr=Jersey+City,+NJ&hl=en&geocode=FQIhcgIdonea-ynZNaPiIpTCiTFs_FsaEAQUVA%3BFV12bQIdNqqV-yndr78l0lDCiTHZJc2iE_BJAg&mra=ltm&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=05%2F08%2F11&time=7:13pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&sll=40.893435,-73.92403&sspn=0.398114,0.840454&ie=UTF8&ll=40.767802,-73.89267&spn=0.199435,0.420227&z=12&start=0

check this out. this will give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

If it's on the company dime I'd recommend taking the train into the city then taking a cab out to jersey city. Not sure how much that would cost though.

If you're more concerned about cost, I'd follow the directions above and catch a cab at Journal Square to wherever you're going.

It seems intimidating but it's not that bad. If you don't know, ASK. New Yorkers seem like assholes but they aren't.

Archived