• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettis & LaFell

Catalyst

So I just finished watching NFL Films Top-10 on the biggest free agent busts of all time and one player got me thinking about our current WR situation.

The Bucs signed former Cowboy Alvin Harper in 1995 and he was awful for them. This I knew already, but the point they made was that in Dallas he was a #2 playing opposite a hall of famer in Michael Irvin. When asked to step up into a #1 WR role, he struggled.

This made me think of our WR situation as it relates to Gettis & LaFell is/when Smitty is traded, which I believe he will be. Both had solid rookie seasons to be sure and with awful QB play to boot. This is very encouraging, but at the same time, they also both had the benefit of playing opposite Smitty and not against the other team's top cover guy.

My concern is less about how they'll turn out as WR's as I do believe we've found at the very least two solid contributors, but more for Cam's development. The last thing we need is for him to be forced to throw to guys who are overwhelmed without a top target in Smitty to draw attention away from them.

I like Pilares as much as anyone here, but he's a slot guy and Armanti Edwards is a complete mystery at this point. The problem is: what are our options right now? Do we take a chance and go with the two youngsters and hope that it all works out with a rookie QB in need of help or do we sign or trade for a starter and risk having an extremely crowded depth chart and little to no chances for some of our young talent to develop?

LaFell and Gettis had normal rookie seasons considering the opportunities both had. Normally rookie wide outs get limited playing time and still put up the numbers the two of them did.

Everyone is quick to blame the QBs for the poor passing game, but the reality is our wide receivers under performed as well. Gettis had one monster game, but other than that you could count the highlights with your fingers and toes for the both of them.

They of course showed moments, but they also showed rookie moments. Do not be naive enough to think that Moore, Clausen and St Pierre were the only reasons our season sucked last year.

Based on last year, both would need ample practice time and experience before even coming close to being a #1 guy and more than likely should be #3/#4 on the roster.

You also mention how this might impact Cam's development. Interesting. If he needs more support to develop, then based on that theory Clausen was stunted because of them as well...?

All the cam heads are worried about his development. Yet they have double standards for Clausen. Ridiculous.

Gettis and LaFell would do fine. With this new offense the TE would be used efficiently in the passing game. Dante and Shockey are both competent TEs. If we trade smith for whatever, there won't be a problem with those two and the TEs to pick up the 'slack'. Brady has no legitimate #1. Yes, I realize its Brady. But if you want a more down to earth comparison, look at Bradford. With his meek WR core he still managed to win 7 games. As long as, who ever is under center, buys in to the new system. They will be fine. I'm not worried about Gettis and LaFell. If anything with smith being gone, this will help their development tremendously. Even Cam as well. Creating chemistry with future WR than someone that will only be here for one more year is higher on the priority list in my book.

I think the notion that the WR's were the problem last year is off the mark. We know Smitty can produce and he put up stats right there with the two rookies. In the one game all season where we had half-decent QB play (49ers) Gettis & LaFell both looked very good.

Now, I'm not saying they were outstanding. Both made their share of rookie mistakes, but the bigger issues with the passing game were the 1950's scheme Fox/Davidson were running, the injuries and poor play along the OL, and a QB in Clausen who seemed almost afraid to throw the ball downfield.

My concern is that, with Smith gone, a game like the 49ers game would be a different situation where Gettis & LaFell wouldn't benefit from having the defense focusing more attention on Smith in the passing game.

I'm glad we got Shockey as he gives us one proven veteran target and I think Pilares will be a very effective slot receiver, but it wouldn't hurt to bring in a short-term option. Someone like Mark Clayton or T.J. Houshmandzadeh - a guy who has been around for a few years, has starting ability, but isn't someone we'd have to break the bank for or be 'forced' to keep around for 3-5 years due to their contract.

Plus, I think we'll be looking hard at a WR in the 1st round next year. Perhaps Alshon Jeffrey to give us that elite target, but at the same time we have to figure out a stop-gap to give ourselves some insurance in case LaFell and/OR Gettis get a case of the Keary Colberts.

The trick lies in not necessarily having a #1. Having a smart QB who has a group of clones out there is the trick. Having and oddball like Smith who you sometimes give the benefit of the doubt to because he is special just makes it harder on a passer, especially a rookie one. Gettis and Lafell will be fine.

I do not hope Smitty leaves but if he does it makes sense to me that he would since his abilities are better suited now more than ever for him to be with a more experienced QB. To go a bit further I think our QB situation is better off if we do not have "special" WR out there as number one demanding the ball and always drawing double coverage. Especially as we notice that he seems to get open less and less and although very strong with the ball once he gets it has developed a slight case of the dropsies.

Not a Smitty hater although some will flame this anyway. I just think the two situations (Panthers and Smith) are going different directions. It looks like he may be thinking the same thing.

If Smitty leaves he will absolutely need to be replaced. Both WR's showed promise, but as there's normally a drop off for WR's in their 2nd year and neither are anywhere near proven #2's much less #1's, we can't afford to have no main target.

My number one fear on the offense is that we trade Smitty and it turns out both Gettis and Lafell profile as number two or three guys. I think too many people got way too excited about good rookie seasons where there literally wasn't anybody else to catch those passes. I hope they are both are great and become the next pair of complimentary Panthers receivers like Smitty and Moose, but I don't think either is a sure thing yet.

He will need to be replaced for sure but with what, something like him?

A "main" target is easier to defend than multiple targets. I hate the showstopper, playmaker mentality. As long as we give our young QB's solid WR's who run decent routes we will have options for them to throw to.

Archived