• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme, no extension?

Murph

Being 10 million under already and with Gamble's 8 and Johnson's 1 and Lucas's 5 that should cover Peppers and Gross. Problem is that it gives us no cap space for free agency. Seems we have to do some cutting or restructuring to do anything this spring. Our slowness to make movesd might suggest we are not really looking to do much in free agency especially early.

Being 10 million under already and with Gamble's 8 and Johnson's 1 and Lucas's 5 that should cover Peppers and Gross. Problem is that it gives us no cap space for free agency. Seems we have to do some cutting or restructuring to do anything this spring. Our slowness to make movesd might suggest we are not really looking to do much in free agency especially early.

In all honesty, I think the needs in free agency are light. All 11 starters are back on offense plus all key backups except Hangman.

The free agent DL class is really weak this year for 4-3 guys and I think Hurney is not going to sign any kind of difference maker DE until the Pep issue is resolved. The draft will have some good DT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with enough talent to relieve Lewis and Kemo on some downs.

The CB free agent class is still decent even though the two best ones re-signed with their existing teams. However, until we see what happens to Lucas, we don't know if one is needed.

In all honesty, I think the needs in free agency are light. All 11 starters are back on offense plus all key backups except Hangman.

The free agent DL class is really weak this year for 4-3 guys and I think Hurney is not going to sign any kind of difference maker DE until the Pep issue is resolved. The draft will have some good DT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with enough talent to relieve Lewis and Kemo on some downs.

The CB free agent class is still decent even though the two best ones re-signed with their existing teams. However, until we see what happens to Lucas, we don't know if one is needed.

Yeah I expect that we will do what we did last year. Get a few D line guys like we did on Offense last year to hopefully find a few gems like we did with Vincent last year. Other than that we are pretty well set in most areas.

I hope Delhomme restructures his deal for two years, the year after next season being an easy-on-the-pocketbooks cut if he stinks it up next year. I don't see any other way around it...either the Panthers draft/sign a QB this offseason as the "heir" to the QB throne in Carolina, or they make it clear that Matt Moore is their guy. Either way, something has to be done at that position. Moore isn't a bad decision. He played well when he was given a chance. McCown isn't a terrible QB either. Not starter quality, but a decent backup. If this isn't Delhomme's swan song year, I'm worried. He'll be 35 after next season...and there just isn't many 35 year old QBs leading their teams to Superbowls...unless your name is Warner and you play in a dome for most of your career. He isn't getting any better/younger....

I hope Delhomme restructures his deal for two years, the year after next season being an easy-on-the-pocketbooks cut if he stinks it up next year. I don't see any other way around it...either the Panthers draft/sign a QB this offseason as the "heir" to the QB throne in Carolina, or they make it clear that Matt Moore is their guy. Either way, something has to be done at that position. Moore isn't a bad decision. He played well when he was given a chance. McCown isn't a terrible QB either. Not starter quality, but a decent backup. If this isn't Delhomme's swan song year, I'm worried. He'll be 35 after next season...and there just isn't many 35 year old QBs leading their teams to Superbowls...unless your name is Warner and you play in a dome for most of your career. He isn't getting any better/younger....

If that's the case, that doesn't bold well for Matt moore. He's 3rd on the depth chart behind Delhomme and McCown. It's Known that fox like McCown a lot.

plain and simple QB is our weakest position on either side of the ball and thats pitiful. We need to start looking at the future and McCown probably isnt gunna get it done. Moore maybe (more than mccown) but for me to repsect delhomme more after the way his season(s) went he needs to restructure.

You know the strategy of not taking money with you so that you won't be tempted to spend it?

That's what this reminds me of.

Post draft, they'll need space to sign rookies. That could come from a restructure. If you did it right now, it might be tempting to use that cap space for something else.

(or they could just be concentrating on other things right now)

either the Panthers draft/sign a QB this offseason as the "heir" to the QB throne in Carolina, or they make it clear that Matt Moore is their guy. Either way, something has to be done at that position. Moore isn't a bad decision.

Making Matt Moore the heir apparent would be an awful decision. He barely has the talent to be a 3rd string QB in the NFL.

Archived