• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FA QB Upgrades

Proudiddy

boller scares me. he isn't exactly screaming stable either (think back to late '05 when he was told he should be seeing a sports psychologist because of his inability to handle the pressure of being under center).

can we find a QB without emotional stability issues?

His name is Jake Del... wait...

i'm a highly favor matt moore fan but if i had to choose it would definably be byron first......saying jake is better is a far fetched story.hell boller,losman,and orlasky would have been good picks ups if we were looking for a qb.

i definably like byron over all the fa qb's,but orlksy is 6'5 and show some damn good signs on a 0-16 team.i mean when your 6'5 you basically can see everything everywhere.

none of you guys are thinking more than mediocre replacements for jake.

if you are going to make a change (and any change would be dramatic considering jake's standing with the team, like it or not) make it a very positive. cutler was kind of an extreme one with no real chance of happening but this talk of leftwich (what NFL team seriously wants him? none), boller (all time career leader in passing yards for the ravens and they have been trying to move away from him for years because....?), orvlovsky (nothing more than a backup...that is all he will be. couldn't even land the starting gig in detroit during the worst season in NFL history and he is a texan backup now anyway. doesn't matter) is crazy.

leftwich, if he had any value, would have a job somewhere.

he will get a backup gig somewhere really cheap for some team that isn't interested in having a replacement for their starting QB.

saying that jake isn't better than leftwich is a stretch.

You sure Jake is better Rayzor? I have always considered myself one of the most fair-minded fans when it came to Jake. When he's sucked, I called it. When he was good, I gave him his props. I always recognized him for his abilities regardless of his week to week performances.

That being said, I think Leftwich still has upside and is more naturally talented than Jake. Jake brings intangibles and good arm strength but his accuracy was even more suspect than usual last year. I've watched Leftwich and he's a really talented guy, and has yet to work with a receiver of the likes of Smitty. I think he could really utilize Jarrett too. Whether Jake is a starter or not, Leftwich is a guy I would like to have on our roster.

Leftwich has always had tons of talent. But his fundamentals are incredibly bad and he gets hurt and stays hurt.

Agree with the post directly above mine. If it's an "upgrade", make it someone who's legitimately better. There's tons of former first round guys out there that could easily be good enough or be busts (again).

Leftwich scares me, he was abysmal in Jacksonville. It's one thing to come off the bench, it's another thing to be the starter week in and week out. Nobody is calling Leftwich because nobody feels he can be relied upon as a starter.

Vince Young = (expensive) damaged goods, no thanks.

Tyler Thigpen or Brodie Croyle as a backup to Jake... now we're talking. KC is most likely going to part ways with one of these guys. IMO, the jury is still out on Croyle - KC was so horrible that I don't think you can judge him yet.

Leftwich has never been a good quarterback. He has had good games and good stretches but he is injury prone, holds the ball too long and has sucked in more places than he has shone.

His career passer rating is a dismal 80, he has never started all 16 games, and in the last 3 years has only played in 14 games. He has never completed over 60% of his passes in any season.

How he is an upgrade for anyone mystifies me.

There's not a guy in this thread that I'd talk over Matt Moore or Josh McCown, much less Delhomme.

The deficiencies Leftwich has are well documented.

Vince Young? Tell me you're kidding.

Jason Brown told the media that Kyle Boller has essentially become David Carr Part II (shellshocked, damaged) and honestly he was never that good to begin with.

Tyler Thigpen is an awful idea unless you want to change the style of offense we run.

Face facts guys. In this year's free agency, there aren't any "upgrades" available. The free agent QB class sucks.

DRAFT.

If we're going to have an average QB run the show, let Jake do it. There's no reason to let anyone mentioned (Moore and Josh included) take over for Jake. Let's draft for our future and let Jake take it another year then bring in another average joe until the Draftee is ready. Then again, I don't think the draft class is all the great this year to begin with.

Alright, if there is a consensus that the future QB is not in FA. Does anyone think if the QB depth chart holds steady up to training camp (although I hope we still take Pat White), will Fox let McCown challenge Jake for the starting job?

Like I said, I've considered myself one of the bigger Jake supporters on the board since day one, but I've been fair. Do you think he gives McCown the opportunity?

I do.

the opportunity will be there but, if it is the same as other years, jake is the leader of the team. you see it every day in TC. You hear his voice almost as much as the coaches.

it is jake's job to lose and unless he totally sucks it up at OTAs and TC and the players stop responding to him (which isn't likely), he isn't going to be losing the job.

what happens next season is anyone's guess but i bet he will have the job solidly through next season as well.

I still think Moore's the guy. Just my opinion. Jaws was high on him, Dallas hated that they lost him and he played pretty well when he got his chance with us.

I loved what I saw of him in his limited time playing for us too. I wish we would've played him a lot earlier than we did that year. I also remember Jaws was big on him too up through the draft. That being said, I think he was extremely accurate but his lack of arm strength was surprising.

I suggested if Fox would give McCown the nod b/c he and Hurney talked about how high they were on him since he came in the league. He's fast/mobile and has a huge arm. In many respects, he reminds me of Jake a little bit in that he is obviously talented and has been given glimpses of opportunities but no team completely believed in him. It was the same for Jake before we signed him, he just needed his chance where he was the man and there wasn't any politics.

Jake was sitting behind Aaron F*cking Brooks?!?! lol And he was out of the league about a year or so after Jake signed with us. Shows how much New Orleans FO knew... McCown might just need what Jake got with us - to be given the keys and told the ride is his.

the opportunity will be there but, if it is the same as other years, jake is the leader of the team. you see it every day in TC. You hear his voice almost as much as the coaches.

it is jake's job to lose and unless he totally sucks it up at OTAs and TC and the players stop responding to him (which isn't likely), he isn't going to be losing the job.

what happens next season is anyone's guess but i bet he will have the job solidly through next season as well.

You're right, I just hope he comes back with a vengeance and gets his confidence back. I wanna see the Jake of '03-'04 at the least.

like i said i'm all about moore,but if i HAD too some of these guys would be decent pick ups

btw saying none of these teams want byron is not true unless your a adam sheftler type agent then i wouldn't expect you to know.not trying to bash you though.

i like orlosky,he did good in detriot saying he couldn't win the starting job is another story since they though they could bring in a veteran qb.his size kinda draws me in.

i can't really say jake is average anymore,a good defensive coor. could easily expose him.stack the box and make jake make intermediate and long passes and he's done.

Archived