• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams stays in Carolina 5 years 43 mil 21 guaranteed

The Saltman

We had the worst offense in football last year, mainly because of QB play, so we addressed it with the #1 overall pick being a QB. A rookie QB's best friend is a good o-line and a great running game, so we franchised our pro-bowl Center and re-signed a top-tier RB that also happens to be one of the best team players anybody could ever ask for. Plus we still have plenty of $$ to make more moves. It may not be the 100% ideal contract, but I like what the FO is doing.

Reality is none of us message board nerds know what any players value actually is. To say we do is ignorant... right on board with the fan base. Leave the GM duties to a professional. We can all throw our worthless 2 pennies around here tho.

Not that I agree with the deal, just to hear people suggest they know the value of another person when you're not in the industry, just further proves our ignorance.

True all I am referencing are past contracts, Injury history, age, position strength/weakness, ability to find replacements based on the current success of players not drafted highly.

I'll just post this (aka my opinions)

Who did everyone want us to go out and get? Nnamdi, Joseph, Mebane, or Cofield?

Davis, Anderson, Johnson, and Williams were at the top of the FA class themselves. If we would have said fug our own guys and go get a CB and DT would that have helped in anyway but hide holes?

I would love for us to get Joseph and Mebane but our guys were and should have been top priorities. Along with that we were the worst team in the league meaning we had to overpay. I myself consider this offseason a success already.

We got our franchise DE back

We got our franchise RB back (to go with 1 very good and 1 good RB to form a 3 headed monster hopefully)

We got a big run stuffing DT

We got an upgrade at TE

We got 2-3 of the top undrafted guys who have a shot to make the team

We still have cap room to get Anderson and a vet CB

Only thing left I see is extend Beason and Kahlil and we'll be good. Maybe go after a CB but get our guys locked up long term so in the future we can focus on other FAs and not our own.

Oh and Cam needs to get his ass signed.

The reality is we just paid MJD money for a guy who will touch the ball 1/2 as much as MJD. He finished 2 seasons on IR. Is 28 years old. I love the guy but I guess being a fan of the Panthers winning should be second fiddle to my favorite players.

He missed the last 3 games the season before last and he had a "sprained foot" last year. There was no reason for him to come and risk further injury when we had Stew and were in a lame duck season. He could've came back, but it wasn't necessary.

As long as we get Joseph, I don't give a F what we spend on our own guys.

I will be shocked if they even make an offer. Nnamdi is gonna set the market high most likely.....Joseph obviously won't get that money but he will influence the money for Joseph.

True all I am referencing are past contracts, Injury history, age, position strength/weakness, ability to find replacements based on the current success of players not drafted highly.

The past is with the old CBA. We kinda need to see what else goes on and see how they work with the new deal. The players are now getting more of revenue, so we will see higher deals go to vets and smaller deals to rookies. It evens itself out I believe.

I dont put DWill in the top 5 of rb's but easily the top 10. I do know they have plans for both him and Stew, so his value may actually be that. If he gets 5 catches a game and 15-20 productive carries and we win, it will be worth it.

Too much money for a RB that fugging splits carries.

Splits carries and still manages a 1,000 yd season. So did Stewart.

Granted, he was hurt last year but I still suspect that it was not as bad and we were tanked early so he was given a bit of a rest.

I think we are gonna come out of the chute, both (if not all 3) barrels blazing....

We had the worst offense in football last year, mainly because of QB play, so we addressed it with the #1 overall pick being a QB. A rookie QB's best friend is a good o-line and a great running game, so we franchised our pro-bowl Center and re-signed a top-tier RB that also happens to be one of the best team players anybody could ever ask for. Plus we still have plenty of $$ to make more moves. It may not be the 100% ideal contract, but I like what the FO is doing.

That is a big part of it.....but we are also a running team in a passing league. So our offense out of the gate is behind the curve.

Archived