• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams stays in Carolina 5 years 43 mil 21 guaranteed

The Saltman

I think that DWill is an outstanding back. My only issue with this is that I considered him more of a luxury at a position where we had significant depth.

If we are able to solve the DT, CB QB (yes we need a vet QB that can start this season), and maybe even #2 WR....then yipee for having DWill.

I would rather have spent the money on the above positions and let DWill walk....and bring in a back-up like Ronnie Brown, Ced Benson, Clinton Portin, Willis McGahee, etc. for significantly less money.

D-lo may have gotten an excessive contract, but please don't compare this to Jake Delhommes Pay2Suck contract. None of Hurney's Blunders (at least recent) compare to that.

Williams is at his peak/prime and the contract actually came a year too late. He's worth the contract.

I'm guessing most of the griping is that most of us hope that these contracts don't take away from actually signing a 'good' free agent.

Resigning is cool and all, but the team still has holes.

the comparison comes b/c older Panthers (which Williams is b/c of position).....have been treaded VERY WELL.....and it hasn't worked out well often. That isn't just a Jake Delhomme thing......

This deal is as much about DWill as a man as it is about DWill as a player imo... he's just the kind of guy you want on your team. Did they overpay, maybe, is he worth it, I think so.

Agreed, the Charlotte community needs more athletes like him. He's also damn good.

I'm not really mad at all that he's been re-signed, especially since he's very productive when healthy and never gets in trouble or causes problems. But I and other posters are justified in concerns in overpaying for the position with the presence of Stewart. It's pretty obvious by comments like, "I just bought his jersey.....he's my favorite player....I don't care how much we paid him, I want him to retire as a Panther...." That many people have other reasons for wanting Williams back wehter or not itd make financial sense which is kind of scary.

Also, just because some question the size of this contract doesnt mean they are the same posters who criticise the franchise for being cheap. I'm sure they're more concerned with this affecting the ability of us to sign other players at other positions that need upgrading and not some personal dislike for Williams.

yes he is

not in a passing league when you have Stewart and two decent backups on your roster.

keep in mind you don't have to attempt to make Stewart and back the next "Double Trouble". Stewart can get the bulk...you normally draft a RB that high to carry the load anyways

You absolutely need a productive running game. Even in a "Pass Happy" league. Especially with the QB situation we have at the moment. It slows the game down by reducing the number of plays. It enables you to contol the tempo of the game. Also, nothing kills a D like running productively.

Sure you need a QB that can complete throws. But with a poductive running game you do not have to throw as much. A great running game, and a good D, goes a long way to making your team competitive.

So I say, I am happy to have D-Will back. And I do not think we overpaid him. He got a pretty fair contract for a Top-Teir RB.

I am not going to pout because D-Will got a good contract. I am going to be happy he is back. I am not going to whine and complain because some of you THINK he is not worth it. I am going to smile every time someone bashes this move. It is funny that the average fan BELIEVE they are the only ones who know what should be done, and exactly how to do it.

I love this place. And GOOOOOOO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived