• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A QB Comparison

blackcatgrowl

Jimmy Clausen Week 3 Preseason

vs. Titans Win 15-7

Completions - 4

Attempts - 5

Completion rate - 80

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 0

2009 Preseason Stats

Completions - 21

Attempts - 42

Completion rate - 50

Int - 2

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 4

Jimmy Clausen Week 3 Preseason

vs. Titans Win 15-7

Completions - 4

Attempts - 5

Completion rate - 80

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 0

2009 Preseason Stats

Completions - 21

Attempts - 42

Completion rate - 50

Int - 2

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 4

This exactly proves my point. Cam is actually being smarter with the football, and still having about the same play for preseason rookie football as any other QB who has been a starter in our division.

People need to calm the fug down. He's a rookie. It's the preseason. We need to wait until we see at least a half dozen regular season games to see what he's made of and even begin to worry.

And even at that, he's a rookie, with a rookie Head Coach, who had a super shortened Off-season due to a labor dispute.

Some of you are missing the point.

Some of the lesser members of this board are using his stats from yesterday to say he is already a bust. Here is the proof they are overreacting.

Cat'sGrowl I usually think your posts are great but to say someone is lesser because they don't agree with you is wrong. No matter how terrible he looked yesterday he should still start, he is our best chance of winning a few games this year. That being said I in no way think that the QB that is going to lead us to our first superbowl win is currently on our roster. If that makes me lesser of a fan or a member here then so be it.

Cam Newton - Rookie debut 2011 - Week 3 -

Vs. CIN - Loss 13-24

Completions - 6

Attempts - 19

Completion rate - 31.6

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 2

Preseason Stats through week 3

Completions - 22

Attempts - 52

Completion rate - 42.3

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 4

Josh Freeman - Rookie debut 2009 - Week 3 -

Vs. MIA - Loss 6-10

Completions - 6

Attempts - 16

Completion rate - 37.5

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 1

2009 Preseason Stats

Completions - 22

Attempts - 49

Completion rate - 44.9

Int - 3

TDs - 1

Sacks taken - 2

So basically, Newton is getting more pressure (twice as many sacks in one less game), is making less mistakes (no ints) but still playing comparatively to a rookie performance of a guy who is now an established starter in our division,

Can we calm down now?

I hate comparisons like this. For what its worth, the 1st rookie QB to win his first 2 games since John Elway was Ryan Leaf. Failures and successes can't be determined by comparing a few stats.

"Hey Guys! Cam Should start!! Look how this great QB did in his preseason game!"

Josh Freeman didn't start the regular season. The way he played in the preseason, it was determined he wasn't ready. He's not a bust, but he's not ready either. Is he the best QB on the roster? Perhaps, but I'd rather risk someone like DA or JC than Cam.

"Hey Guys! Cam Should start!! Look how this great QB did in his preseason game!"

Josh Freeman didn't start the regular season. The way he played in the preseason, it was determined he wasn't ready. He's not a bust, but he's not ready either. Is he the best QB on the roster? Perhaps, but I'd rather risk someone like DA or JC than Cam.

If you read my other replies, you'll see I am not pushing for him to start.

I've said it all preseason I don't care if he starts game 1 or not.

I'm simply pointing out that a rough rookie preseason is not evidence of a bust, despite people like TuRD going crazy over these few games.

meh overreaction is what fans do. They'll calm down once Cam settles down. Right now I think he should sit and learn in the regular season, but I suspect he'll be starting.

edit: plus, it's not his stats, but his trouble throwing the ball that have people worried.

preseason is nice and all but the stats from it don't mean anything, it's how the guy is playing the game.

Freeman showed HELLA FLASHES his rookie year when everybody was sayin he was gonna suck. He was always making a nice play in between his bad ones throughout the season and the bucs pretty much won those 3 games because of him. Nobody was high on him until he finally got the chance to play in the regular season, i know because i would often go over to the tampa bay boards to see what they were talkin about. They THOUGHT he was a bust until he played in the regular season. His numbers did not tell the story of his potential and neither will Cams.

Cat'sGrowl I usually think your posts are great but to say someone is lesser because they don't agree with you is wrong. No matter how terrible he looked yesterday he should still start, he is our best chance of winning a few games this year. That being said I in no way think that the QB that is going to lead us to our first superbowl win is currently on our roster. If that makes me lesser of a fan or a member here then so be it.

Pay attention boys, this is how you gripe!

Captain+Miller.jpg

How did Freeman's rookie campaign go? Hmm seems it was the second year he improved in... so why rush Cam?

This is no argument for him starting this year, plus Cam was picked #1 and Freeman #17. You don't draft projects at #1.

Sweet. So we should bench Cam so that he can have a marginally better first year next year instead of going through the growing pains now. Thanks Urrymonster, I no longer think Cam should be the starter now. Who wants to be on the cusp of the playoffs next year when we could be on the cusp of the playoffs TWO years from now!

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Archived