• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roth Ira

The Saltman

I now have a Roth Ira account and need some expertise on what investments I should look into.

Any advice would be appreciated since im a dufus when it comes to stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and so forth.

I understand the concepts but honestly have no clue in what bonds, what funds, and what stocks I should invest in.

Thanks.

that was the plan. Just wanted to see if anybody had anything informative to say.

obviously not ;)

You shouldn't expect anything less.

Normally anyone who does know would work for a brokerage firm, but its also not recommended you give out financial advice to anyone who is not a client/if you don't have your 7/63. They can tell you what the are and the differences, but can't directly advise you to invest in them.

Pstall would probably be your best bet on here I just don't know how much he could help without knowing how much you have, if you want to diversify, etc.

Unless you are going to spend some time learning and researching you can ignore 99% of the market such as :commodities, individual equities, options. You can ask me when to buy and sell oil and I will make you some money.

So you are looking at ETFs, stock funds and maybe bond funds.

The easiest thing to do would be to buy ETFs that mimic the major indices. SPY mimics the S&P 500. So if you buy a share of SPY you are basically investing in the entire S&P 500. You can also do this with the Nasdaq, the Dow.

Similarly every advisor will have a large cap fund or a dividend fund. Many people believe that large stocks with steady dividends are the way to go over the next 5 years.

If you are really lazy you can just stop there and it will not hurt you over the long run.

Next up is to get some exposure to other areas of the world. China, emerging markets, South America. Do some research and decide if you think America is going to grow over the next 2 decades or if someplace like India is a better place in which to invest. There will be a fund for whatever you want.

You can hone in on other segments such as small business, pharma, anything you are interested in.

Is that the the of stuff you wanted?

For specific advice i would want to know the timeframe, how much you will be putting in each year etc.

Archived