• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Look Into 2012

NJPanthers12

Hangartner is not getting it done. I would like to see Otah moved to RG if we draft Kalil, he has got one year left on his deal anyway it would be stupid to get rid of him.

Ive been very impressed with Hangartner. Other then one or two plays I thought he really held his own against Suh. Moving Otah inside to guard would make sense, but he is always hurt.

Now if everything goes to my plan, or what I hope we are looking at the following team.

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

TE: Greg Olsen

WR: Steve Smith

WR: David Gettis

TE: Jeremy Shockey

LT: Jordan Gross

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil

RG: Geoff Hangartner

RT: Matt Kalil

DE: Charles Johnson

NT: Ron Edwards

UT: Terrell McClain

DE: Greg Hardy

OLB: James Anderson

MLB: Jon Beason

OLB: Zac Brown/Thomas Davis

CB: Chris Gamble

SS: Charles Godfrey

FS: Sherrod Martin

CB: Brandon Hogan

Can this team make the playoffs?

No. This is nearly the exact same team that's on pace to be 31st overall with a couple of new draft picks added. You're counting on getting a few players back from injury but at the same time we'll surely have a few new injuries, possibly those same players you're counting on having back. Even getting guys back who knows how effective they'll be coming of major injuries.

I never said he had the capabilities of being the best in the game. I actually did not like him at all coming into this season, but I opened up to him more after he got the big contact because it was obvious he would be here a while. I like what I have seen from him this year.

Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

No. This is nearly the exact same team that's on pace to be 31st overall with a couple of new draft picks added. You're counting on getting a few players back from injury but at the same time we'll surely have a few new injuries, possibly those same players you're counting on having back. Even getting guys back who knows how effective they'll be coming of major injuries.

What can possibly be done then to get us to a playoff caliber team? We have no third round draft pick. We are tight under the salary cap as well. Yeah it is basically the same players but you are counting on Terrell McClain improving, Greg Hardy improving, and so on.

How come we cant???? What makes you think Otah cant become a pretty good guard? He is a way better run blocker than pass blocker and could probably block interior defensive lineman better than the guards we have now without having to worry about speed rushers just out running him off the edge. It could work. You damn sure dont put him on the bench after what we gave up for him and moving your offensive lineman around on the line is not a stupid idea. Travelle Wharton has popped out and played tackle for us too and was pretty good, guess that was a "madden" move too.

we suck and have no third rounder.

Trade down should be our choice as nobody in the top three has the name kalil and that is where we will be picking.

Love to trade down with Cleveland since McCoy does not seem to have it. they currently have like the 11th and 20 pick.

We could get quality CB, OT, and OLB with those picks.

What can possibly be done then to get us to a playoff caliber team? We have no third round draft pick. We are tight under the salary cap as well. Yeah it is basically the same players but you are counting on Terrell McClain improving, Greg Hardy improving, and so on.

Limited draft picks, cap hell and a laundry list of needs. There's no easy solution here but you asked if that was a playoff team and I gave you my opinion that it's not.

What you posted is about what I expect though. We've only pulled off a big trade down once out of 9 drafts with Hurney, not great odds. Unless we end up with the #1 overall and teams line up to throw offers at us I think we'll stick with our pick and probably end up with a good player. I just don't expect much besides that.

Free agency we'll be lucky to resign our own guys. We'll get a few guys back from injuries, that'll help. We'll suffer a few more injuries that'll expose our lack of depth and really hurt. 2nd worst team in the league + one impact player isn't a playoff team.

if all the players you are counting on improving/coming back from injuries do, and if our coaching staff performs a bit better, then that team has a shot at the playoffs. but those are some decent sized ifs at this point.

but yeah, I think that kalil and either a CB or OLB are our best bet with our first two spots...

Limited draft picks, cap hell and a laundry list of needs. There's no easy solution here but you asked if that was a playoff team and I gave you my opinion that it's not.

What you posted is about what I expect though. We've only pulled off a big trade down once out of 9 drafts with Hurney, not great odds. Unless we end up with the #1 overall and teams line up to throw offers at us I think we'll stick with our pick and probably end up with a good player. I just don't expect much besides that.

Free agency we'll be lucky to resign our own guys. We'll get a few guys back from injuries, that'll help. We'll suffer a few more injuries that'll expose our lack of depth and really hurt. 2nd worst team in the league + one impact player isn't a playoff team.

I am not arguing with you or telling you your wrong. I am not mad you don't agree with my opinion. I was just asking you what you think needs to be done and what players should be kept.

I think that the o-line is playing alright this year, if they could just cut out some of the penalties...

I am really impressed with the protection that they (most of the time) have provided for Cam. Not too shabby considering that this o-line was built to be strong in the run-game much more so than for pass protection.

Although there are a few positions that the team is considering for our first round pick, I think that if they are able to pick up a stud OT to groom for the left side, while we put Gross back at RT for the rest of his career, we could have one of the premiere O-lines in the league.

We're in 19th in pass pro.

Archived