• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes trade Kaberle to the Habs

The Other Colbert

The Carolina Hurricanes have traded defenseman Tomas Kaberle to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for defenseman Jaroslav Spacek, a source told ESPN.com Friday.

Kaberle has two years, $8.5 million left on his contract; Spacek will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Hurricanes have been shopping Kaberle for at least a month, hoping to shed his big contract.

Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/conversations/_/id/7335497/tomas-kaberle-carolina-hurricanes-traded-montreal-canadiens-jaroslav-spacek-source-says

FINALLY! To be able to get rid of his huge contract is great news... I think we got the better of this deal.

I'm not even sure who this Spacek is, (runs to Google) but getting rid of Kaberle alone should vastly improve our defense. I can't believe anybody was willing to take on that contract with the way he has played this year.

:party: :party: :party:

Spacek

GP - G - A - PTS - +/- - PIM - SOG % - TOI/G - PROD

12 -- 0 - 3 --- 3 --- +2 --- 2 ---- 0.0 -----15:29 - 61:58

Kaberle

GP - G - A - PTS - +/- - PIM - SOG % - TOI/G - PROD

29 -- 0 - 9 --- 9 -- -12 --- 2 ---- 0.0 -----19:15 - 62:01

Only playing in 12 games is a little disconcerting, (edit: missed 17 games with 2 separate upper body injuries, but cleared to play now.) but only slightly less points per game, +14 over Kaberle, less TOI but even production and getting rid of that retarded contract?

fug yeah! I'd still like to see another forward added, but this deal makes me :D

Archived