• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2009 NFL Draft

Rags

Hurney has a history of doing well in the 1st round. He also has a history of doing terribly after the 1st round.

There was a lot of talk that Hurney was trying to trade up last year to take Clausen. Could you imagine if he'd managed to do it and given up what would've went on to be the #1 overall pick to get a complete scrub? Good Lord...

Yea, 09 is easily our worst draft ever. Not a single starter, one guy that should be the #1 backup at best (Martin), one guy that should really be nothing more than a STer (Munnerlyn) and another solid backup that probably won't be back next year cuz we don't use his position enough to warrant 3 and/or our current coaching staff just doesn't seem to like him (Goodson).

On Hurney's 1st round history, only unforeseeable injuries have left any kind of blemish on his record. Neither Otah nor Davis had a serious injury history concern to my recollection, so can't really hold that against Hurney how it turned out. Brown was a 2nd round pick, regardless of what we gave up for him. Hurney definitely has his issues with drafting, but I'd put him solidly in the middle of the pack league wide. Great in the 1st, poor in the 2nd, above average in the 3rd, average after that. At least he's not as bad as Belichick, multiple 1st round picks cut because they suck (Merriweather and Maroney off the top of my head).

Hurney has a history of doing well in the 1st round. He also has a history of doing terribly after the 1st round.

There was a lot of talk that Hurney was trying to trade up last year to take Clausen. Could you imagine if he'd managed to do it and given up what would've went on to be the #1 overall pick to get a complete scrub? Good Lord...

All that talk of him trying to trade up was baseless speculation. I have yet to see any semi-credible evidence that Hurney ever tried to give our '11 1st to move up for Clausen. The closest to credible I've heard was that he tried to trade up but the asking price was too much, which I take to mean that if it were true the team probably wanted our 1st and Hurney didn't want to give it up. But even that rumor is far from confirmed.

Exactly. I made a detailed post about our recent drafts and they look pretty weak. Which is why I think it's silly when people say Hurney drafts well.

People in the organization like to hang their hats on Hurney having such a high number of draftees starting on game day. In reality, that is nearly meaningless. Unless those starters are quality players, it is not necessarily a good thing that they are starting.

You cannot gloss over the fact that the last 3 drafts have produced 1 above average starter. One. That is pathetic any way you look at it.

Cam is exceptional, and MH should get credit for selecting him, but he is the only really good player Marty has drafted in 3 years.

Talk about injuries all you want. Poor drafting is a big part of the reason why our defense has so many holes right now.

I'd say Hardy is an above average starter, even though many here would disagree. Not saying he's great by any measure, but at the very least he's average and getting an average starter in the 6th is nice. There's also Lafell and Gettis, who I'd consider at the very worst average starters (hoping that Gettis recovers from his injury).

But the point is sound, the last 3 years Hurney's drafting has really sucked. Maybe Fox was more involved early on and better at drafting than Hurney, or maybe Fox was more involved later. Who knows. Hopefully RR will get more say and is better at it, but we DO have a high number of above average starters that we drafted. They just all come from '08 and earlier drafts.

I'd say Hardy is an above average starter, even though many here would disagree. Not saying he's great by any measure, but at the very least he's average and getting an average starter in the 6th is nice. There's also Lafell and Gettis, who I'd consider at the very worst average starters (hoping that Gettis recovers from his injury).

But the point is sound, the last 3 years Hurney's drafting has really sucked. Maybe Fox was more involved early on and better at drafting than Hurney, or maybe Fox was more involved later. Who knows. Hopefully RR will get more say and is better at it, but we DO have a high number of above average starters that we drafted. They just all come from '08 and earlier drafts.

I would agree that Hardy, LaFell, and Gettis may turn out to be above average starters, but an objective person would likely not put them in that class based on the results so far.

And you never know, the two DT's, Pilares, and Hogan may all turn out to be all-pro's some day.

Every team can speculate that recently drafted players are just waiting to break out, but it is speculation, nothing more.

My complaint with Hurney is he always seems to be looking for the hidden gem, hitting the home run, knocking it clean out of the park (examples Hogan, Armanti), but we need some players that can get on the field and produce now.

Based off of draft position and how early they've had success. I'd say that Lafell and Gettis were pretty damn good picks. Hogan played really well when he hit the field, it wasn't a home run swing. The kid fell from being a borderline first round talent into the 4th round, of course you take him.

Still won't change the fact that he will be the starter here next year. Like it or not he wasn't our biggest problem this year.

when the coach says he wanted to vomit after watching a play you were invloved in is not a sign of an endorsment. he has struggled all year, something will be done about it.

Archived