• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Just Watched 6 Games Worth Of Quinton Coples Snaps...

Catalyst

Cox is a defensive tackle, there's difference.

Again you miss the point. It was simply that in 9 of 13 games he had no sacks. But no one is holding that against him so it is ridiculous to hold the fact that Coples got some of his sacks against lesser competition. Cox got no sacks against UAB or Louisiana Tech or Tennesee Martinsville. Is that a problem??? No........

What? You base your opinion off of non-biased footage that happens to be made available on Youtube?

Well fug you man. I watched a few plays on a Youtube vid called "CoPles is da best!!!" and saw him dominate in a meaningless all-star game, plus some scouts who base their opinion on height/weight/athletic ability said he should be picked early. You know, they're never wrong and don't base any opinions based off of anything other than production. Same reason why Dontari Poe is gonna be a top 20 pick cuz he DOMINATED college ball. So you can shut up and listen to me and some BleacherReport mock drafts and realize that Coples is the best!!!

Again you miss the point. It was simply that in 9 of 13 games he had no sacks. But no one is holding that against him so it is ridiculous to hold the fact that Coples got some of his sacks against lesser competition. Cox got no sacks against UAB or Louisiana Tech or Tennesee Martinsville. Is that a problem??? No........

I will preface this with saying I'm not a big fan of Fletcher Cox either.....but right or wrong sacks are the primary measurement of a DE, not a DT.

No it's not a problem when sacks are not a primary measurement of how good a DT is. It's similar to comparing LB's and DB in terms of interceptions.

I will preface this with saying I'm not a big fan of Fletcher Cox either.....but right or wrong sacks are the primary measurement of a DE, not a DT.

No it's not a problem when sacks are not a primary measurement of how good a DT is. It's similar to comparing LB's and DB in terms of interceptions.

But you still haven't addressed the point at all. It wasn't about whether Cox or Coples got more sacks or that sacks were the primary issue which is what you suggest. It was that you can't compare sacks or any stat based on the opponent without considering other facts like player matchups, schemes etc. And that there were games against lesser competition where neither did well. I used sacks because that was what the poster used on Coples.

I appreciate your point and agree that sacks for DTs aren't the primary issue but it is largely extraneous to this discussion. On the other hand if the discussion had been which player would make more of an impact in Rivera's desire to generate a pass rush, it might be germaine.

hard to get sacks when in every game, in every game situation, you are the absolute, no brainer, beyond any shadow of doubt, primary focus of the blocking scheme.

watch the games again... you tube, cathode ray tube, tube top, or viewmaster... it matters not. when you occupy more than one guy, you win.

I think that if Robert Quinn can be drafted at 14 last year by St. Louis we would not hesitate to select Coples at 9 this year as he has much better measurables and a higher upside. I think they take him if they are targeting DE early in this draft. DT and CB are probably a little deeper in this draft.

Quinn thus far looks like he was overdrafted, he hasn't done well at all in the NFL. I believe the Rams had him 4th or 5th on their DE depth chart at one point and they're not exactly overflowing with talent.

I agree with you. But it is that same mindset that gets these guys drafted so high, its the hype. Unfortunately he will be taken in the top 15. I personally hope Cox falls to us and we move on to getting a CB in round 2.

Archived