• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TSN blurb on what's next for Peppers

NanceUSMC

I don't think anyone is happy with 7-9 seasons. Still if you take out the catastrophic injury seasons- Jake went down in 2007 and we had 13 starters on IR in 2004, Fox has had 1 losing season which was a 6 game improvement over 2001.

I know where you're coming from and it does make a good argument, but at the same time, you can't just delete these seasons he's had like they were an illusion; they account into his whole body of work nonetheless.

He had awful circumstances to work with in 2004. But in 2007, I believe the choices the team made in years prior helped attribute to the meltdown that was the QB position. With no surefire project with talent to work with, and only a guy with an awkward delivery who'd been shell-shocked in Houston and had yet to become totally comfortable with the playbook here, where did we think we were going to go without Delhomme? That's why for so long people have been venting about how we need to finally improving the quality of the position behind Delhomme.

can't speak for RB or anyone about what they think is good enough but putting at least two winning seasons in a row would be a start. putting us back into the playoffs and not having us be one and done in them again would be a good second step.

he has had plenty of time for us to see what he can do. if he can't get us back in the playoffs again next year then we will have seen what his ceiling is and it will be time for another one to come in.

hurney's job is to make sure that we have the right coaching staff and players to get us a winning team. i think he has been doing a good job of getting the right players. does he have a coaching staff in place that will get us over the hump? we'll find out. fox's job is to take the players we have and make them into a consistently winning team. asking for 2 years in a row with a winning record and two trips into the playoffs isn't too much to ask.

i have no loyalty to anyone player or coach. if they can't get the job done, get someone who can. his contract runs out after this next year. it's do or die.

I know where you're coming from and it does make a good argument, but at the same time, you can't just delete these seasons he's had like they were an illusion; they account into his whole body of work nonetheless.

He had awful circumstances to work with in 2004. But in 2007, I believe the choices the team made in years prior helped attribute to the meltdown that was the QB position. With no surefire project with talent to work with, and only a guy with an awkward delivery who'd been shell-shocked in Houston and had yet to become totally comfortable with the playbook here, where did we think we were going to go without Delhomme? That's why for so long people have been venting about how we need to finally improving the quality of the position behind Delhomme.

For as many of us who were saying that Carr would be a disaster, there were just as many who said he would unseat Jake as starter. I don't think you can fault Hurney or Fox for trying to get him. After all he was a former number 1 pick and no one could foresee Jake going down. After all until 2007, how many games did Jake miss in his whole career?

I would agree that we have not had much in the way of backups but that is largely because we keep replacing the old guy with someone new before they can learn the playbook. That is why I would rather keep Moore and develop him rather than keep revolving the door with the latest can't miss product like Pat White.

For as many of us who were saying that Carr would be a disaster, there were just as many who said he would unseat Jake as starter. I don't think you can fault Hurney or Fox for trying to get him. After all he was a former number 1 pick and no one could foresee Jake going down. After all until 2007, how many games did Jake miss in his whole career?

I would agree that we have not had much in the way of backups but that is largely because we keep replacing the old guy with someone new before they can learn the playbook. That is why I would rather keep Moore and develop him rather than keep revolving the door with the latest can't miss product like Pat White.

I hope our new QB coach can help Moore. He seemed to regress last year.

No one was willing to negotiate for Peppers BEFORE the draft, and Carolina probably would have traded Peppers for a 1st and 3rd this year, and he would have been worth it in a mediocre draft (nothing spectacular) this year.

If no one was willing to part with 1 (ONE) 1st round draft pick for JP this year, there is NO WAY anyone will throw 2 mandatory 1st round picks - 2010 AND 2011 - to get him now!

No, what's next for Julius Peppers is that he gets his big butt to Charlotte, signs the Franchise paperwork, then gets ready to play football. Think of this as the last year in a contract - an 'audition' year! If he holds out, he $crews himself. If he plays and just goes through the motions, he $crews himself! No one will want him either way! He has to come to Charlotte, and he has to play...unless he is done with football and/or doesn't care about getting another big payday in his NFL career!

In Peppers' mind what has changed between the time he announced he would demand a trade if Franchise tagged and now?

If he comes in and signs the Franchise paperwork then he knows the Panthers can trade him wherever they want as the Patriots did with Matt Cassel. Maybe the Panthers decide 17 mill in cap relief and the Raiders 1st in 2010 is enough if Al is crazy enough to trade for Pep.

Is anything really going to change next offseason as opposed to this one if Pep does play for the Panthers under the Tag this year. Nothing except his contract goes to 20 pluis million if tagged in a potentially uncapped year in 2010.

Peppers wants control of where he goes and when. He better get his ass in gear and sign a long term deal. Be it in Carolina or somewhere else after his wonderful agent negotiates a contract and/or trade with someone.

I hope our new QB coach can help Moore. He seemed to regress last year.

I suspect that his mistakes last year were due to him trying to press and do too much. After his 2007 debut he likely felt pressure to play well. After all the 2008 traing camp and preseason were the first with the Panthers. Hopefully he comes out this year and stays within himself and doesn't try to do more than he can. It would be nice for him to have a good preseason and give us all hope that he can eventually replace Jake if needed.

Most of us said Carr needed to sit a year because he was so screwed up from playing in Houston. Just wait til my next cant miss QB (Bradford) I am putting all my chips on the table for him. :lol:

But honestly Hurney's job should not be in jeopardy every season he has gotten players for Fox and filled the holes.

Fox to me the only way he gets fired this off season is if the team has a complete meltdown and goes 3-15 or less. But I dont see that happening.

I was one of the people who said he could in the long term, potentially. Still others said that we should immediately bench Jake and put Carr in to start from the get go. Then somehow me and a lot of other people who said Carr could start given some time to sit and collect a bit got looped together with the people who were sick of Delhomme then, by people who just wanted to shun the thought.

2007 is an omen. Jake is an almost best case scenario when it comes to UDFA QBs, and for every Delhomme there is about 150 scrubs who never amount to anything. ...you can bring in UDFA after UDFA QB and let them play preseason and not play well, or you can apply yourself and get a talented QB. See, Fox is trying to do it the cheap way but the truth is, unless you've got a damn good QB coach you're very unlikely to turn a John Doe QB into a bona fide signal caller. When Jake retires it might be every year we are bringing these journeymen QBs in to share a 16 game load with 1 or 2 other guys.

When the Cowboys developed Romo, they gradually brought him along. ...he eventually took strides in development, and by 2006, in preseason play, he toasted the Seahawks secondary. Then that year he helped them to a late-season surge into an ill-fated playoff run. Whether it was preseason or not the fact of the matter is you saw Romo's progress had skyrocketed. Moore needs to be able to show that same progress in order to be considered any kind of future QB for Carolina. ...and he didn't show much last preseason. Hopefully he's made strides since then.

And it doesn't matter what kind of system you run. We can run to daylight, and we'll be successful, but the time always comes when somebody halts your running game and forces you to beat them with your arm. In Arizona we saw that, and Jake wasn't up to the challenge. In football you've got to cover all bases, make sure there's a plan b, c, d, ...z. And leave no stone unturned.

I could tell you this much it wouldn't be good enough for a lot of other NFL cities/states in the country.

That is not true. Not true at all.

Here is a list of teams that would literally kill for our most recent seven years...

Detroit

49ers

Bills

Bengals

Browns

Texans

Jags

Chiefs

Dolphins

Jets

Raiders

Cards

Falcons

Saints

Rams

Why would they kill for it? Because they have been the leagues lowest, have achieved one or two playoffs, had one season of joy followed by nothing. The fact is VERY few teams get into 3 playoff berths in a 7 year span. The only fans who would complain would be the Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Colts. The rest we are about on par with.

During that seven year span there have only been four superbowl winners! So I reckon that minus those 4 and then subtract the teams that have visited the playoffs more often and every single other team would want to have the kind of success we have had during Fox's tenure.

Everyone wants to win a superbowl, but the fact is, once playoffs hit in it is almost a lottery. The best team does not always win and often it is simply the team that stayed the healthiest. That is why it is great to judge franchises by superbowl wins, but you certainly can not judge a seven year span by superbowl rings.

Archived