• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

If you want to say the Panthers should have not drafted someone then fine. You can't say "we drafted this guy instead of this guy" unless it's in the first round. Carl Nicks was passed on 163 times. He was passed on several time by the team that drafted him. You can't hold that against Hurney. It was a good move by the Saints*, not a bad move by the Panthers.

Someone go break down the other 31 GMs in the league and compare them to Hurney.

When you do you'll realize fan bases have no effing clue how to run a team and that the failure rate for a good GM is pretty damn high. Why?

The average NFL career is four years. There aren't that many good players that stay good for a long time.

Hurney is far and away one of the best GMs in the business, period.

Someone go break down the other 31 GMs in the league and compare them to Hurney.

When you do you'll realize fan bases have no effing clue how to run a team and that the failure rate for a good GM is pretty damn high. Why?

The average NFL career is four years. There aren't that many good players that stay good for a long time.

pie (if I could)

I think Bill Pollian said Hurney was a top 10 GM. Coming from him, that's a compliment. Can't remember where I read/heard that.

You won't see extensions at the running back position much anymore. Jstew won't think about about his contract situation until he's close to being a free agent. He needs competition for him to drive his market value up. Running back is becoming a position that is losing it's value and most susceptible to injury losses. In order to make the most money he can while he can, he has to test the free agent market in order for someone to attempt to overpay to get him or to keep him. The fact that he hasn't signed an extension isn't on Hurney, it's on the Agent. It's a good strategy. Just so you guys know, DWill did the same thing.

Also Jstew has always been injured but he's the only one of our injured players who has played through his injuries year in and year out. It's hard to even call them problems when he continues to play with them at a high level. So yeah, as Marguide said, he's probably more durable than any RB in our Team's history.

As for the OP, I also disagree with a lot of the free agent hits and misses. Some of those guys are in a grey area where they hit at the beginning and then fell off. Mike Wahle, Ken Lucas, and some others I can't remember were really good Pick-ups during their first 2 years or so and provided the immediate FA impact we were looking for at the time. They certainly fell off later on, but hardly a complete miss. If you look at our FA philosophy as a whole, it has always targeted quick impact players that fill a need. In which case Hurney has done a good job of trying to fill. It's usually only worked out short-term. Most of our FAs are 2-3 year plug and play guys.

You have to also Factor in Market conditions which I don't feel like going into. cuz it's almost 3am.

All in all, Hurney is average. He hits, he misses. But he has a goal in mind when he does things. He doesn't Snyder it up and try to build through big names that may or may not work well together. He has his qualities that make you wonder wtf, and he has his redeeming qualities. Basically, he's not as bad as everyone thinks he is. It's mostly because every decision he makes can only be evaluated in hindsight since you can't know anything about a player until 3-4 years down the road.

I disagree with some of your FA misses. Lucas and Wahle were good here initially and Hartwig never got a fair shot due to injury. Losing Peppers isn't on Hurney, IMO, it's on Pep for wanting to play elsewhere. Marshall did nothing to warrant being kept.

His biggest miss IMO was extending Delhomme when he did and for that amount. Hurney and Fox came here together, now that Fox is gone it'll be easier to judge Hurney.

I don't get why you can't compare players Hurney drafted in the late rounds with players other teams drafted. All you have to do is look at our roster and see that we only play guys who are drafted in the top 3 rounds. Where are the late round picks that are supposed to be able to contribute...because that's how you win championships. I'm not saying that Hurney needs to find one every year but find one every couple of years. So far the only players I can think of off the top of my head are Greg Hardy and Captain Munnerlyn and what positions were we all wanting to upgrade this offseason?? DL and CB.

If you want to compare other teams then that is fair. Here is how some of them do in rounds 4-7:

NY Giants: Brandon Jacobs, David Diehl, Kevin Walter, Gibril Wilson, Barry Coefield, Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Boss - Six very good starters for a superbowl winner.

Pittsburgh Steelers: William Gay, Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu, Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Dennis Dixon

New England Patriots: Jarvis Green, David Givens, Tully Banta-Cain, Dan Koppen, Asante Samuel, Matt Cassel, James Sanders, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez (more recent than other picks but the jury isn't out on him he's a probowler).

Carolina Panthers: Captain Munnerlyn, Mike Goodson, Geoff Hangartner, Kendall Moorehead

Compare the players I just mentioned from the Panthers to the players listed from the other teams. I had to stretch to list players from the Panthers. The Ravens, Steelers, Giants, and Pats have PRO BOWLERS that they are finding in the later rounds and we can't even find guys who can start on a bad team. You don't win championships unless you find guys late. IDK why people are pointing to Hurney's record in the 1st and 2nd rounds as a measure of his ability to run a team. Great GMs find superstars in rounds 1 and 2 and then build the rest of their team in rounds 3-7 and that is where Hurney has sucked. Could it be worse? Yeah. But it could also be a heck of a lot better.

I like Hurney as a person. He's a former Redskin who learned his trade from the great Bobby Beathard. But he's not Bobby Beathard. The thing is, would you hire him to run your billion dollar business with Hurney's track record?

Yes. I think he is a really good GM. Now I know he is not the football mind that Dan Snyder is... (Yes I know he is not the GM, but he might as well be..)

The one thing we don't know is if J Stew really wants to be here. There have been rumors that he wants to leave. He's a west coast kid. If Hurney approached him about an extension last year and he didn't want to play ball then the Deangelo signing makes more sense.

Stewart didnt want to play ball bc he wants to get paid. Big payday is to wait. Stewart will play for who pays him.

Archived