• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Projections

MadHatter

I wouldn't re-sign Otah even if he does have a breakout year. Once he gets paid he's going to pull the same poo he has the past two years.

It is stupidity like this that dumbfounds me, Otah is not lazy he has never been out of shape, and he wanted to play last year instead of going on IR.

So do you mind telling me what exactly he would be pulling? (besides ligaments in his knees)

Completely disagree.

If he gets his knee straight, he is fine.

He had injuries the past two seasons that were nagging. He was not out of shape or overweight.

Are you saying that he is going to have knee issues again if we pay him? Makes no sense.

Beat me too it! rep+

I figured you would disagree upon my post once I saw you quoted me; or anyone, it's usually your thing.

He's not reliable. I hope this makes sense to you: he'll could very well have a great year because his contract expires after this year; therefore he's inclined to work as hard as he can and will continue to play through injury (he saidi he could've played this year IIRC). Once he gets a new contract he will not be extrinsically motivated since he already has his money.

tl;dr: Otah is wasted money if he sits on the sideline half of the time.

All i said is that I disagree with you...there was no snarky remark nor insult....nor was one intended.

I just don't agree that his issues have been around playing hard or motivation.....which is usually the fear with a player slacking off after they got a big contract. He has continuously stayed in shape and worked hard during his rehab...have heard this through several channels.

His knee has been a nagging injury for nearly 2 years. If that continues, then let him walk. If he gets the knee cleared up and plays well, I think letting him walk woudl be a big mistake.

He never missed games at Pitt and did not have a reputation of an under achieving or lazy player. Maybe he is....but I have not seen it. Not to mention that he WANTED to play last year and the coaching staff put him on IR to give more time to heal.

Again, I completely understand your position on how he has not been reliable....and 100% agree. Where our opinion differs is around why he has been out.

If Silatolu lives up to expectations then RT will be the biggest weakness on our o-line. I subscribed to the nfl rewind package and have been looking at individual performances and through the Chicago game our best offensive linemen in order were

1.Gross

2.Kalil

3.Hangartner

4. Wharton

5.Otah/Bell

The first 3 did well in all phases while Wharton and Otah/ Bell struggled in pass protection. Wharton especially struggled in the first 2 games against AZ and Green Bay(both 3-4 defenses)as he looked lost on some plays and didn't get his hands on anyone on several plays.

On the off-chance that Otah plays well all year, I hope we are smart enough not to give him a big money deal.

On the bright side, it's going to be fun watching Amini.

It makes me laugh every time that people say he's going to play a full season. He hasn't in who knows how long. I realize he has potential and is a monster when he's on the field, but he's NEVER on the field. If they do sign him, it better be with a clause like TD. I'm glad they got that UDFA Reynolds and traded for Campbell. At least they have someone to take his spot. If he plays lights out, good.

It is stupidity like this that dumbfounds me

How condescending. I give an opinion and my argument for not re-signing Otah is considered stupid. Would you renew a contract in which the purpose hasn't fulfilled what he is supposed to do?

Otah is not lazy he has never been out of shape, and he wanted to play last year instead of going on IR.

I didn't realize I pointed out he was lazy or out of shape. The fact of the matter is he did not play a single down. EDIT: 2010; 2011 he couldn't stay throughout the entire year.

So do you mind telling me what exactly he would be pulling? (besides ligaments in his knees)

Let me rephrase that for you - the things he has not been able to do. That is staying healthy.

All i said is that I disagree with you...there was no snarky remark nor insult....nor was one intended.

I just stated the observable. Usually when people quote it's to disagree, not agree which is pretty usual on internet forums.

I just don't agree that his issues have been around playing hard or motivation.....which is usually the fear with a player slacking off after they got a big contract. He has continuously stayed in shape and worked hard during his rehab...have heard this through several channels. His knee has been a nagging injury for nearly 2 years. If that continues, then let him walk. If he gets the knee cleared up and plays well, I think letting him walk woudl be a big mistake. He never missed games at Pitt and did not have a reputation of an under achieving or lazy player. Maybe he is....but I have not seen it. Not to mention that he WANTED to play last year and the coaching staff put him on IR to give more time to heal. Again, I completely understand your position on how he has not been reliable....and 100% agree. Where our opinion differs is around why he has been out.

I acknowledge that he wanted to play, but unfortunately the coaching staff disagreed. I love seeing Otah maul people down, he's a wrecking ball out there. I just want consistent play from someone whether it be Otah, Bell, or Campbell.

I'm a bigger fan of Bell than Otah at this point just because of durability concerns. I can't envision a scenario where Otah earns a big contract here. I LOVE him as a player and as a RT, but he just can't stay on the field.

I think Bell will be MUCH better this season after last season's experience and a full off season to work on technique.

I'm pulling for Otah, just like TD...and just like I used to do for Dan Morgan.

How condescending. I give an opinion and my argument for not re-signing Otah is considered stupid. Would you renew a contract in which the purpose hasn't fulfilled what he is supposed to do?

I didn't realize I pointed out he was lazy or out of shape. The fact of the matter is he did not play a single down. EDIT: 2010; 2011 he couldn't stay throughout the entire year.

Let me rephrase that for you - the things he has not been able to do. That is staying healthy.

Your post Inferred that Otah would stay healthy all of the upcoming season, given that pretense it would be unwise not to give him a contract extension seeing as when he is healthy he is a dominate force, an incentive laden contract would be a must somthing similar to what Thomas Davis received.

I'm betting you are one of the people calling for him to be cut a few weeks ago. (In spite of the fact that his contract this season is negligible)

Archived