• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton one of NFC's most Overrated Players

Ricky Spanish

him along with Nnamdi, Tony Gonzalez, Brandon Browner, Michael Bush, Deangelo Hall, and David Akers. Here's the Excerpt on Newton:

Newton's backers would defend his Pro Bowl nomination last year by quoting that Newton set a single-season record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (14) and became the first player to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a season.

Those are impressive marks on their face but they are quantity-based and occurred after a lockout-truncated offseason. As I mentioned in my fantasy football draft guide, the lockout hurt defenses' ability to practice blitzes, which was a primary factor in why passing offenses were so explosive early on.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

These defensive adjustments are a main reason why Newton came up short in the areas of vertical yards per attempt (10.5, tied for 21st) and stretch vertical yards per attempt (12.6, tied for 17th). (Note: vertical passes are aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield; stretch vertical passes are thrown 20 or more yards)

Newton also came up well short in ESPN's Total QBR metric (56.6, ranked 16th) and he posted a 4.2 percent bad decision rate (BDR) that was the fifth-highest mark in that category last season. (Note: BDR measures how often a quarterback makes a mental error that leads either to a turnover or a near-turnover such as a dropped interception)

There is little doubt Newton's incredible drive will, when combined with his talent, make him a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback in the future, but he isn't quite there yet.

It's an insider article so I can't link it.

discuss.

It's all true, he does not have the touch on his passes. His running ability keeps defenses in check and he has the skills to make the throw on the run but if I were him I would think about tomorrow instead of today. What I mean by that is take everything from Vick's game that he can and practice becoming a polished passer instead of a guy with a big arm who can run past and over you.

Not a chance. All homerism aside, he still had one of the best rookie seasons ever. If he comes out this year and blows, and then he still gets the attention, then yeah. Right now as it stands, he is considered a top 10 and in some cases a top 5 qb. You are also supposed to get better with experience, so there is no way anyone could think he is over rated. /thread

"Those are impressive marks on their face but they are quantity-based and occurred after a lockout-truncated offseason. As I mentioned in my fantasy football draft guide, the lockout hurt defenses' ability to practice blitzes, which was a primary factor in why passing offenses were so explosive early on."

Considering Cam was a rookie with the lockout and anyone with a brain knows who had the biggest disadvantage pretty much makes this article poop.

It's all true, he does not have the touch on his passes. His running ability keeps defenses in check and he has the skills to make the throw on the run but if I were him I would think about tomorrow instead of today. What I mean by that is take everything from Vick's game that he can and practice becoming a polished passer instead of a guy with a big arm who can run past and over you.

You clearly didn't watch any of the games. Squid

these are legitimate criticisms, though i don't know if you can extrapolate newton being one of the NFC's most overrated players because of them.

this will be his first actual offseason and training camp. rivera has come out and stated that the team looks worlds away from last August... i'm sure that's as much on cam's improvement as anyone else's.

he'll be fine.

i'm sure a 6'6" quarterback that runs a 4.9 40 with a cannon for an arm and possesses an obsessive work ethic would have struggled any other season.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

oh look, it's this old chestnut again.

first four games: 163 passes attempted, avg. 40.75 attempts/game

last six: 152 passes attempted, avg. 25.3333 attempts/game

15 less pass attempts on average using the parameters the author pointed out. i'd call it a change in offensive philosophy rather than defenses "catching up".

Archived