• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just one more reason we have the league's best owner

NanceUSMC

I knew when I wrote it that people would criticize me for pointing out the past. Don't get me wrong, it is great he was considerate of the guy and he has done other things in the community and for Wofford and the list goes on. I don't dispute he is philanthropic and can be very considerate. But there are two sides to JR. One side is the guy who makes time to go to a funeral, the other side is the business guy firing his own sons. I just don't think that makes him the best owner in the league.

His sons weren't getting the job done, and he realized he was going to have to move on. Would you want a team owner who stuck with things that weren't working for the sake of peoples' feelings? It's not as if he is Al Davis firing everyone the year after they are hired and then wondering why he can't find anyone worth a damn. He's made mistakes but he's done a lot more good than bad as a team owner, and don't even get me started on what he's done for the league itself.

Funny how quickly every one forgest the 2-14 debaucle that clearly was JR's creation. And frankly he was dead wrong. He blew up the team expecting a long holdout well into the 2011 season which never happened. While all that is ancient history, he is surely not the best owner in the league and a few nice moments doesn't erase the way he gutted the team. We are still feeling the effects as we speak.

You are dead wrong, frankly.

p55 is actually right calling jr the best in the league is like a kid thinking their dad is the bestest in the whole world...

as a person he is class but from a fan's poiny of view there are owners that dont put buisness before the team.

The team has a bright future because of those very decisions. He's not infallible but he surely knows how to run any franchise better than any of the armchair self made owners of nfl teams that post here.

Most owners take some time out to do kind-hearted gestures, or anything considered charitable or humanitarian. Richardson isn't the first owner to go out of his way. If anybody in here is saying this is why Richardson is the best owner in the NFL, it's just ad hoc reasoning for their bias given the fact that he owns the team they personally hold near and dear to themselves.

2010 was just so bad. I was pissed off at JR all season. From seeing Ravens fans overtake our stadium to watching Pickles flounder around the field, that was the worst football season I can ever remember.

The team has a bright future because of those very decisions. He's not infallible but he surely knows how to run any franchise better than any of the armchair self made owners of nfl teams that post here.

THe team has a bright future because he salvaged his huge mistakes and made some great decisions like hiring Rivera and drafting Cam to go along with the boneheaded ones like not canning Fox a year earlier and hiring Rivera sooner and gutting the team and going on the cheap which then cost him ten of millions more than it would have to when he had to pay big bucks to entice players to want to play for a team that was so awful. He doesn't know how to run a franchise better than at least a half dozen owners than I could name off the top of my head starting with New England and New York and continuing with Pittsburgh and the list goes on.

Trruth is he didn't do all that much for the league as Goodell wants to blow smoke about. Richardson was playing the hardass-don't give in to the players, which was getting them nowhere. Guys like Kraft and Jones came in who actually wanted to get a deal done and worked hard to make it a win win. JR wanted to break the union not work with them. If it was up to him we still would be in a lockout. He played right into the union strategy which they would have won if it had been played out in court. He was wrong all the way around. Getting it right now hardly forgives the multitude of screw ups.

THe team has a bright future because he salvaged his huge mistakes and made some great decisions like hiring Rivera and drafting Cam to go along with the boneheaded ones like not canning Fox a year earlier and hiring Rivera sooner and gutting the team and going on the cheap which then cost him ten of millions more than it would have to when he had to pay big bucks to entice players to want to play for a team that was so awful. He doesn't know how to run a franchise better than at least a half dozen owners than I could name off the top of my head starting with New England and New York and continuing with Pittsburgh and the list goes on.

Trruth is he didn't do all that much for the league as Goodell wants to blow smoke about. Richardson was playing the hardass-don't give in to the players, which was getting them nowhere. Guys like Kraft and Jones came in who actually wanted to get a deal done and worked hard to make it a win win. JR wanted to break the union not work with them. If it was up to him we still would be in a lockout. He played right into the union strategy which they would have won if it had been played out in court. He was wrong all the way around. Getting it right now hardly forgives the multitude of screw ups.

Good info for the new Carolina/Cam fans. I think all fans should really know this, the reasoning behind the most tragic, uncalled for, unessecary and flat out embarrising times in this franchise's history was almost soley because of JR, a buisness minded owner and his whole lockout bullshit. When JR goes he should be remembered as a classy buisnessmen, a money man, a personal man maybe, but not a owner that was for the team if it isn't obvious already with the giant NFL symbol on the field. Everyone called him a genius for planning for the innevitable before the lockout yet nothing to hear when the result turns out wrong and his stubborness is only further exemplified.

I guess its hard to see how things went wrong and where they were going when a couple great moves are turning around the franchise, but I won't forget.

Well at least he sends out apology letters.

Must be nice to be infallible....

Like anyone, he makes mistakes. What he does when he realizes the mistake, and the effect his actions have in changing it for the future define him as a good owner. I'm not saying he's the best... I'm saying I like him as an owner. I've given my reasons, you can argue what you will, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have JR than more than half the owners in this league.

Like him or leave him, you can't deny that attending a funeral.. taking the time out of what is most likely a busier schedule than any of us here may have, is a class act. It's the little things that make him a great owner of the franchise we all love so much. He didn't have to stop by for Toys for tots, he could have sent a flunky to show the organization supported the huddle's work and gain PR, but he didn't. He went himself, from what I've been told, and talked to the fans... good business yes, but also, it shows he does appreciate the support we give him and the team.

Archived