• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chud's New Playbook

redbuddha

I was very intrigued at how may times Bill Polian mentioned the Wishbone and the Wing-Bone (everything that's old is new again) since the Tolbert addition during the SiriusXM Training Camp special. When division teams have to spend extra time installing special defenses to counter Cam and the Hydra running game, you know you got the division by the short and curly. We can gash you with the run and when you finally commit to 9 in the box, we'll kill you with the pass. I CANT WAIT!!

PS- Dirty Birds, you are BONED!! LOLZ!

It's really all about being explosive. Putting points on the board.

Panthers can do that.

The benefits of having a better run game, is keeping the ball out of the hands of the opposing offenses, and making our offense even more difficult to defend.

If last year was any indicator. We can't win straight out shootouts. The Defense needs to do something. That or the Special Teams needs to step up as well.

one thing to consider for the more one dimensional passing game approach that teams are having. sure, the game is making it easy for the passing game to blow up so teams are going heavy in that direction, but what is going to happen is that defenses are going to catch up. it's bound to happen and pretty much unavoidable. it's already starting to happen. when that happens all offenses that have been trying to focus on the passing game will lose the competitive edge they had at one time or were trying to achieve.

what is going to happen is that the defenses that are spending their energies trying to learn how to stop the big time passing attacks and who have focused their personnel decisions on trying to stop them will have made themselves just as one dimensional as the offenses have and will become vulnerable to power run games and run heavy schemes.

the game is cyclical in it's trends and phases. the best thing to do is to have a team that is balanced...an elite passing game and elite running game. and it's not just having the talent to do it, but the determination to do both consistently.

we won't see less running. we shouldn't. i don't care what other offenses are doing. they aren't built like this one. they don't have the personnel this one does. it would be foolish to try and emulate what other teams are doing who are built so differently.

was not this offense one of the best offenses in the league last year? why don't we try and build on what we did last year? why copy someone else when this offense, even with running the ball "too much", was one of the best offenses in the league? it makes no sense whatsoever.

The running game still has its function in the NFL but it's not something you have to feature anymore. Also having more talent in passing and running doesn't make play selection easier, because when you're in two minute drill, or down by two possessions with 5 minutes left in the game, you're not going to be handing it off a whole lot to your 89 million dollar backfield, and these situations happen frequently when you're facing teams with other bona fide QBs.

When Cam matures, most of those points will be coming from his arm. With the added threat to run (after a play breaks down) Cam can really be unstoppable by himself.

If last year was any indicator. We can't win straight out shootouts. The Defense needs to do something. That or the Special Teams needs to step up as well.

i never said anything about shootouts.

that's a mighty big leap you made, blindly.

the op talked about the offense. excuse me if i stayed on topic.

i never said anything about shootouts.

that's a mighty big leap you made, blindly.

the op talked about the offense. excuse me if i stayed on topic.

Was replying to your quote about the panther being explosive. We all know they can, just pointing out that you can't win all the shootouts. Last year was definitely a example of that. Lions, Packers, Saints* games were shootouts. Just saying the defense or special teams could have contributed a little and that L would be a W.

Having not seen what Chud will do this year? Based on what we saw last year, do we have too much running game?

Most of the elite teams those deep in the playoffs, had very little run game. New England was ranked 20th in rushing, and the Giants were ranked 32nd.

Green Bay who finished 15-1 was ranked 27th and Detroit was 29th.

2011 D. Will = 1 game > 100 yds Rushing.. Really hoping we can improve on that a bit this season.

Having not seen what Chud will do this year? Based on what we saw last year, do we have too much running game?

Most of the elite teams those deep in the playoffs, had very little run game. New England was ranked 20th in rushing, and the Giants were ranked 32nd.

Green Bay who finished 15-1 was ranked 27th and Detroit was 29th.

Balance like Rivera said last year, "We need to be able to run when we need to run, and throw when we need to throw." Although I think it's clear that our run game and pass game are equally threatening these days.

Archived