• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What on Earth was going through Hurney's and Fox's minds when they drafted Clausen?

Panthersfan704

The kid was highly touted coming out of college. I supported the pick at the time. We had a definite need at QB and he slipped.

If rumors are to be believed, Hurney was trying to trade up to get him. Could you imagine if he'd traded next year's first to move up to get Clausen? We would've been stuck with Clausen and probably watched some other team take Cam Newton #1 overall.

*shudders*

One complaint I had with MH is he seemed to be quick to jump on players that were in free fall compared to their pre-draft placement.

My guess is, they didn't do that much research on Jimmy, just thought he was a steal at that pick.

I think Marty learned his lesson. I sincerely hope so, because Jimmy is ass. There is no other way to put it.

It makes you wonder about guys that are payed very well to evaluate talent. Davis Carr comes to mind in that aspect. True he had no "o"-line at Houston, but you think a guy that's picked #1 overall would have a better career. In the end it's stil a crap-shoot.

Greatest marketing job in sports history is the campaign that convinced coaches and media alike for about six years that Clausen was good.

His high school tape was average at best. Somehow was #1 player in the country.

Wildly overrated at Notre Dame. Still regarded as a Top QB going into the draft.

Undersized physically with a crap arm and mind-numbing pocket awareness. Still went top of the 2nd round.

the pick made sense at the time. I don't think any of the huddle's nostradamuses expected him to turn out even close to this bad.

I very nearly sold my PSLs when this pick was announced.

As a native SoCal guy I was very aware of his HS career and followed him to Notre Dame. He was a dick in HS, a bigger dick when he went to Notre Dame (remember the limo arrival on campus?) and was a temperamental child on the field.

The only reason I didn't sell my PSLs was knowing he would prove to be so incredibly bad that his starting job couldn't possibly last more than 8 games.....

Fox didn't draft Clausen. He was done at that point here. That draft was all Hurney.

This

As far as Hurney learning lessons I don't think so. He is still suffering mentally from the NFC Championship game against Seattle when we ran out of running backs. The formation used most league wide last season had 4 wide recievers in it. The league is moving that direction. Everyone but us. We have 100 million invested in running backs.

Archived