• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sporting News...6 Playoff Teams Who Won't Be Back

rayzor

When picking the teams that will make the playoffs in a given year, the so-called experts (as opposed to the so-called idiots, of which I proudly am one) typically play it safe.

They look at the dozen franchises that made it a year ago, and they replace maybe the bottom team in each conference's playoff field with a team that was close to qualifying.

But the reality is that, typically, half of the teams that played in the postseason last year won't be back the next time around.

In 2008, more than half of the 2007 playoff teams didn't return for an encore.

Seven of the 12 franchises didn't qualify again. In the AFC, only two of the six from the year before were bounced; in the NFC, the turnover rate was 83.3 percent as five of the six teams that qualified in 2007 were left holding a big bag of nothing in '08.

For present purposes, we'll assume that six of the teams will make it back and six won't.

Today's challenge? Identifying the six teams that will play only 16 games that count this season.

(link)

Here it is....

1. Miami Dolphins
  2. Tennessee Titans
  3. San Diego Chargers
  4. New York Giants
  5. Minnesota Vikings
    and....

6. Arizona Cardinals

i could live with this.

I really don't like that list. Tennessee has a good chance of missing it since their division keeps getting tougher and Haynesworth was a huge loss. Miami was blessed with a fairly weak opposing schedule and the injury of Tom Brady, now their future is a lot less certain. SD and Arizona will make it back into the playoffs based solely on the fact that the rest of their divisions are crap. NYG should make it back since their division won't be as tough as it was last year, WAS/DAL will be mediocre and Philly should win the division but that leaves enough room for a good Giants team to make it in. I agree on the Vikings though, Percy Harvin won't be the answer they're looking for and the defense will be tested a lot harder, also the Lions won't be an easy win anymore.

I do expect several teams to step up and make it into the playoffs. The Texans are consistently getting better and this year they should make it over the hump, finishing 9-7 and grabbing a wildcard spot. The Packers defense will be much improved when healthy and Rodgers is one of the best QB's in the NFL right now, which definitely improves their odds as the rest of the division was at a standstill. Depending on how things work out, the 49ers have a great shot at making a run for the playoffs but that depends heavily on how Shaun Hill does.

I don't know how they see the Giants not making it, what did they loose to think that?

I agree...the Giants did not do anything but get better in the offseason....as for Arizona I could see this happening; almost all teams have a 'Superbowl hangover' and I see Seattle coming back strong.

agree, giants is the one that surprises me. They lose players or something? Even if Philly or Dal somehow wins the division I would bet on a WC

No Burris and no more Ward... I think that's all they lost, technically. and don't they get Osi back from his injuries this season?

seattle has a huge upgrade in WR, hass is healthy, the defense has improved, oline has improved a bit. no reason they shouldn't compete.

san fran was also improving a good bit after singletary got in. they did pretty well in the draft getting crabtree. 1st training camp with singletary running the ship.they could possibly make a push.

it's still a crapshoot...cards lost their DC and OC and might be losing boldin. warner's old.

re: giants, the article said that the reasoning was because of the drop off at WR. Nicks is good but he won't be demanding the same respect. the Dline is killer but they are going to have the eagles pushing at them. i think the eagles are all around better. if only one from the NFCE is going i bet it's the eagles.

I would be shocked if the Chargers don't make it back.

The Giants will be one of those teams that will be on the bubble IMO. But those are the two teams that I have a problem with on this list.

Tenn should still be good, but they had some fluke wins last season, and people will now focus on stopping their ground game, and make Kerry beat them.

That said Indy is always steady, and the Texans are getting better, so Tenn may not be able to coast in a again.

Here it is....

1. Miami Dolphins
  2. Tennessee Titans
  3. San Diego Chargers
  4. New York Giants
  5. Minnesota Vikings
    and....

6. Arizona Cardinals

i could live with this.

I can see Arizona, Minnesota, and the Miami Dolphins not making it back.

But the Chargers not making it back? who's gonna stop them KC? um no, Denver? um no again, and the Raiders??? seriously the Raiders?

The Titans are another one, I would say they wouldn't make it but we don't know how well the Colts are going to be they're entire Coaching staff has just been replace and there is going to be some pains because of that.

And of course the New York Giants, I'm not aware of anything happening that should cause them to lose they're Crown of the NFCE and not even be a wild card team for that matter.

seattle has a huge upgrade in WR, hass is healthy, the defense has improved, oline has improved a bit. no reason they shouldn't compete.

san fran was also improving a good bit after singletary got in. they did pretty well in the draft getting crabtree. 1st training camp with singletary running the ship.they could possibly make a push.

it's still a crapshoot...cards lost their DC and OC and might be losing boldin. warner's old.

you think san fran can make a push so soon..IDK...

you think san fran can make a push so soon..IDK...
like i said...it's going to be a crap shoot there. until the cards got into the playoffs hardly anyone gave them credit for being a good team but things came together at just the right time for them but i don't see that as being something that they can sustain.

it could happen but they are going to have as much or more things going against them this year than for them.

Archived