• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down why our defense is bad

Snake

So as everyone saw last night our defense looked like a wet noodle. We gave up yards on the ground and in the air. Nothing worked and every drive led to a score. So I want to review why I think some of McDermotts plays have failed and why.

Lets take a look a this picture

post-156-0-83919000-1348248183_thumb.jpg

Here we see a cover 1 defense out of the 4-3 with Godfrey dropping into the box.

The advantage of this is that we have very good run support in between the tackles and can blitz out of this package.

Now lets look at some of the disadvantages.

post-156-0-92820900-1348248400_thumb.jpg

With all of our CBs playing man and Naka playing deep zone it allowed Brees and Manning to use slant routes and RB screens to seal off the edge and make the CB make the play if they were not blocked. We did not adjust to this until the second half of the Saints game and never really adjusted to it with the Giants.

Here is another version of it in the Nickel.

post-156-0-00335400-1348248716_thumb.jpg

and here is what we used on the Giants all game long last night.

post-156-0-78014900-1348249079_thumb.jpg

We used different coverages but from what I saw we kept our Safetys deep and both our LBs and CBs in zone coverage with this package.

This is why the Giants had so much success on us because we did not change our gameplan on defense from the Saints to the Giants. What they saw on tape was what they got that night and it allowed them to shred us in the open areas the zones left. When we did go man we used cover one and it allowed them to just use slant routes on us. They knew what they had because we did not try to mask or hide what we did. To make matters worse we used the same stunts and four man rush we used on the Saint. Almost the same damn game plan. If you want to know why our defense crumbled under Backups this is why. They knew what we were going to do and they gameplaned for it.

I really say shame on Rivera and McDermott for not changing things up and not adding more blitz packages in there. Its going to be a long season if we dont change our game plan from week to week cause other teams will.

I would also like to add one more pic to show you how much they ask of our Rookie CB Norman

post-156-0-01520000-1348249839_thumb.jpg

He is only a few way the OC can attack this defense with 3 WRs and really its not even fair for Norman.

Why he plays so deep is he is asked to not give up the big play yet is also asked to stop the short route. He has to make the decision if the WR is going to go inside or out and then react. Not a very easy job for a 5th round rookie in the NFL. One things for sure though, this kid is going to be good because you dont see many rookies being put on a island like that.

So as everyone saw last night our defense looked like a wet noodle. We gave up yards on the ground and in the air. Nothing worked and every drive led to a score. So I want to review why I think some of McDermotts plays have failed and why.

Lets take a look a this picture

post-156-0-83919000-1348248183_thumb.jpg

Here we see a cover 1 defense out of the 4-3 with Godfrey dropping into the box.

The advantage of this is that we have very good run support in between the tackles and can blitz out of this package.

Now lets look at some of the disadvantages.

post-156-0-92820900-1348248400_thumb.jpg

With all of our CBs playing man and Naka playing deep zone it allowed Brees and Manning to use slant routes and RB screens to seal off the edge and make the CB make the play if they were not blocked. We did not adjust to this until the second half of the Saints game and never really adjusted to it with the Giants.

Here is another version of it in the Nickel.

post-156-0-00335400-1348248716_thumb.jpg

and here is what we used on the Giants all game long last night.

post-156-0-78014900-1348249079_thumb.jpg

We used different coverages but from what I saw we kept our Safetys deep and both our LBs and CBs in zone coverage with this package.

This is why the Giants had so much success on us because we did not change our gameplan on defense from the Saints to the Giants. What they saw on tape was what they got that night and it allowed them to shred us in the open areas the zones left. When we did go man we used cover one and it allowed them to just use slant routes on us. They knew what they had because we did not try to mask or hide what we did. To make matters worse we used the same stunts and four man rush we used on the Saint. Almost the same damn game plan. If you want to know why our defense crumbled under Backups this is why. They knew what we were going to do and they gameplaned for it.

I really say shame on Rivera and McDermott for not changing things up and not adding more blitz packages in there. Its going to be a long season if we dont change our game plan from week to week cause other teams will.

I told everyone when we hired him to keep a close eye on McDermott. He was a child of JJ, but never really figured out how to run that scheme.

I think that this job may still be too big for him.

I told everyone when we hired him to keep a close eye on McDermott. He was a child of JJ, but never really figured out how to run that scheme.

I think that this job may still be too big for him.

McD isn't running that scheme here.....he is running what Ron wants.

Comes down to talent. We don't have the right pieces or enough pieces for our defense to be clicking on all cylinders. A lot has to go right for our defense to succeed.

Thats not really true. The scheme is supposed to get the players in the right position so they can make plays. If your not in the right position and the offense knows whats coming then I dont care if you have the 85 Bears D, its not going to work.

Thats not really true. The scheme is supposed to get the players in the right position so they can make plays. If your not in the right position and the offense knows whats coming then I dont care if you have the 85 Bears D, its not going to work.

Schemes don't work at this level without the talent.

You think the Giants can run their scheme with our defensive roster?

There isn't a scheme we can install to work around being weak at both DL and the secondary....

McD isn't running that scheme here.....he is running what Ron wants.

Maybe, I have no way to know.

All I know is I was excited to see him in his first year in Philly....bust.

Excited to see him here, but he has big problems disguising his schemes and generating pressure without biltzing.

Same issues that he had in Philly.

I'd agree. The scheme was horrible last night. Our defensive line is very sub par. Honestly I feel that all of our d line guys are average except Johnson who is slightly above average. As a whole that's pretty poor. I'd suspect that until we are able to upgrade that area or stop expecting a four man rush to be sufficient we will get a lot of the same results as last night.

Schemes don't work at this level without the talent.

You think the Giants can run their scheme with our defensive roster?

There isn't a scheme we can install to work around being weak at both DL and the secondary....

I agree.

Hurney has managed to ignore two of the top 3 positions on a good D.

DT, CB, DE. Those are premium positions, and we are hoping that a rookie and scrub DT's can take us to the promise land.

IF we lost Gamble for a few weeks....good lord it would be ugly.

Maybe, I have no way to know.

All I know is I was excited to see him in his first year in Philly....bust.

Excited to see him here, but he has big problems disguising his schemes and generating pressure without biltzing.

Same issues that he had in Philly.

I think Rivera has implied that more than once....

And in Philly....his last year his D generated 34 turnovers which was 3rd best in the NFL. He wasn't JJ.....and he didn't have much talent vs prior years. But he was flat out scapgoated. Reid had to find something.

3rd in takeaways is what you want in this league. Who wouldn't take that. His Philly tenure wasn't what his firing suggested. problem with McD....he only knows the JJ approach. Never implemented that here. We don't run it.

It can work the other way around too, and I think it does more often.

Talent compensates for scheme more often than a scheme can compensate for talent.

Archived