• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the draft doesn't matter for Panther fans

unicar15

If we keep Hurney around you are looking at an improvement of one position....our 1st rounder. The rest of the draft is a wash after that round and there is no hope for a franchise that drafts like that. The ONLY way seasoned panther fans will get excited about the draft this year is if someone other than Hurney is pulling the trigger.

He does get some players from the middle rounds, but he's still terrible. If you want to build through the draft you have to consistently draft quality players in the middle rounds. A lone success here or there doesn't count. We have multiple starters who have no business starting in the NFL because we can't draft and don't spend our money wisely.

Yeah, gonna disagree with you there.

Kalil was a 2nd, Anderson a 3rd, Godfrey a 3rd, CJ a 3rd, Silatolu a 2nd, etc.

The fact that you consider Charles Godfrey a hit in the 3rd round is sad. Of course Hurney is going to hit on "starters" but that doesn't mean that those players are going to be any good. Here is a list of the good players Hurney has drafted after Round 1:

Will Witherspoon (who he let walk for injury-prone Dan Morgan) -02

Ricky Manning (that is a stretch) - 03

Travelle Wharton - 04

Geoff Hangartner - 05

To this point we are average ONE good player after the 1st round per draft. With an average of about 7 players drafted per year that is a 28% success rate. Prettty bad. Lets continue...

Richard Marshall - 06

James Anderson - 06

Ryan Kalil - 07

Charles Johnson - 07

Charles Godfrey (even though I'm pretty sure that if we cut him he wouldn't start anywhere)

Captain Munnerlyn - 09 (another player who I don't know if he would start...he would be a bust if he played for a team with ANY decent corners)

Brandon LaFell - 10

Greg Hardy - 10

Frank Alexander - 12

Amini Silatolu - 12

Brad Nortman - 12

So in his 11 years of being here, Marty Hurney has exactly...13 decent players (punters don't really count) drafted after round 1 who I wouldn't consider busts. That is being generous since I think Godfrey/Munnerlyn are garbage for the amount of playing time they get AND considering Alexander and Silatolu only have 5 games under their belts.

Bottom line is he's terrible. No doubt we'll probably get a great player at an unnecessary position in the 1st round this year but after that its not even worth watching because whoever gets drafted by us after round 1 will more than likely suck.

Archived