• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers are a One Man Show

King Taharqa

Can't really see the point in this thread either, KT. In general, I feel that people paint you with a brush dipped in stereotypes and preconceived notions, but, I dare say, this thread seems like a classic troll thread.

Cam is discussed here, rightly or wrongly, because he is at the center of the perfect storm. We don't know whether he plays the main part in our demise on offense, or whether it's Chud, Rivera, or all three. Or, perhaps it's the FO who failed to inject purposeful players into a purposeful plan on offense in order to maximize Cam's potential. Who Knows? But Cam is the focal point, as well he should be, in my opinion. QBs can go a long way to make a sucky team appear average (or even great on occasion), but a bad and/or inexperienced HC and OC can bankrupt most QBs' potential for success, and thereby the entire team's success. But, at the same time, if the QB can't actually execute the plays, then he can make a great HC or OC look like poo. This is the puzzle that Panthers fans are trying to figure out, because this is the situation that we are in---a situation that is exacerbated by the overall newness of the staff and young players at key positions who may have been thrust onto the field before they were really ready. Moreover, this same situation has been magnified by what some considered marginal and unexpected "success" last year, that apparently was not a harbinger of success this year. So we are just trying to figure it all out, which is natural.

BTW, the national media has proven time again that they don't know poo about Panthers, so of course they are going to mostly discuss the face of the franchise, the "entertainer and icon" wannabe, after the aforementioned "success" of his rookie season.

Be serious! What else are they going to talk about? But, on the Huddle, there are many other discussions as proven by the poo loads of threads that appear every week, including threads about Kuechly, Johnson, Hardy, Norman, Smitty, Olsen, etc. The Huddle is never ever a one-trick pony, which is why it's so much better than the national media.

Panthers are basically Cam and backup singers. I wouldnt get too emotinally attached to anyone on this roster not named Cam.

I never once said "why are people talking about our QB so much", I said who else is worth discussing? Apparently no one, as Zod nor anyone else has answered that question.

I'd wager Luke Kuechly will be on this team longer than Cam will at this point. I'd wager Luke Kuechly is light years better at his position than Cam Newton is at his. I'd also wager that no one talks about Luke Kuechly because he quietly gets his job done every single week without being polarizing to opposing teams and media.

He is very much worth discussing. Why doesn't he get discussed on here? Because threads about him start with him kicking ass and end with him kicking ass. There is no argument. Same goes for Thomas Davis. There is no argument. It used to be an argument against paying him with 3 robo knees but now you can see that talk has died down because he is producing at an extremely high level.

Listen, I like Cam. I like him a lot. As soon as we picked him I bought the most expensive authentic Cam jersey from the Panthers official site, though I'd only bought the mid-tier ones for every player up to that point. I like Cam so much that I flew to Arizona last year specifically so I could say I was at Cam's first NFL game. My mom does amateur photography and lives in Glendale and she came with me and I asked her specifically to take pictures of Cam's first NFL snap, which she subsequently had turned into a mousepad for my office so I'd have it all the time. So I don't want to hear any racist bullshit coming from you about Cam, so don't even go down that road with me.

The fact is Cam destroyed the world last year, but this year he has regressed. Yes the scheme sucks. Yes, the offensive line is terrible. Yes, the receivers aren't always getting open. But CAM fuging NEWTON has regressed in his play as well. I hope to god it's just a slump, and I think it truly is and he'll come back guns blazing over the next few years. But he has gotten worse instead of better this year, and that you can't argue.

Cam gets talked about so much on here because he is polarizing and he is the QB. Nothing more. Certainly not because he is the only one worth talking about. And the fact that you force people into positions where they find themselves rooting against Cam as fans just so they can stick it to you, means you are the problem, not everyone else.

wow KT you are reaching. threads are usually made about guys who either suck or are really good, rarely marginal. Cam is not good right now. You do the math.

There were plenty threads of all the other QB's the ended up sucking so don't be so butthurt about everything anyone says negative about Cam, it is quite childish.

I'd wager Luke Kuechly will be on this team longer than Cam will at this point. I'd wager Luke Kuechly is light years better at his position than Cam Newton is at his. I'd also wager that no one talks about Luke Kuechly because he quietly gets his job done every single week without being polarizing to opposing teams and media.

He is very much worth discussing. Why doesn't he get discussed on here? Because threads about him start with him kicking ass and end with him kicking ass. There is no argument. Same goes for Thomas Davis. There is no argument. It used to be an argument against paying him with 3 robo knees but now you can see that talk has died down because he is producing at an extremely high level.

Listen, I like Cam. I like him a lot. As soon as we picked him I bought the most expensive authentic Cam jersey from the Panthers official site, though I'd only bought the mid-tier ones for every player up to that point. I like Cam so much that I flew to Arizona last year specifically so I could say I was at Cam's first NFL game. My mom does amateur photography and lives in Glendale and she came with me and I asked her specifically to take pictures of Cam's first NFL snap, which she subsequently had turned into a mousepad for my office so I'd have it all the time. So I don't want to hear any racist bullshit coming from you about Cam, so don't even go down that road with me.

The fact is Cam destroyed the world last year, but this year he has regressed. Yes the scheme sucks. Yes, the offensive line is terrible. Yes, the receivers aren't always getting open. But CAM fuging NEWTON has regressed in his play as well. I hope to god it's just a slump, and I think it truly is and he'll come back guns blazing over the next few years. But he has gotten worse instead of better this year, and that you can't argue.

Cam gets talked about so much on here because he is polarizing and he is the QB. Nothing more. Certainly not because he is the only one worth talking about. And the fact that you force people into positions where they find themselves rooting against Cam as fans just so they can stick it to you, means you are the problem, not everyone else.

If anything, our record and level of play disproves KT's "point": it seems to me that there isn't a leader on the team worth a damn. The d-line, linebackers, and running backs are the closest we've gotten to consistent performers (when the backs are actually used competently), but Newton is overthinking plays too much. Olsen's blocking has improved, but he's still the guy who struggles to get separation from coverage. Lafell has yet to have a good game against a top-tier secondary, and the motley crew behind him has done so little that they don't even really deserve to be noticed. The offensive line...Jesus. Hangartner has to go, Byers is irrelevant, and I keep pondering Campbell at LT and Gross at RT, with Bell at RG (next season, when Kalil returns, (if Kalil returns at the level he was at, but that's also saying our medical staff won't botch him like they have so many others.)

It's been a suggestion I've seen before, but I'm ready for the offense and secondary to rebel, and just start calling their own plays. At least then we'd know they'd care enough to try to save their jobs.

As to Cam himself: I didn't want him when we drafted him. I worried it was too much like Sanchez when you had far too much of a small college sample size to definitively decide if he could play at the next level, but there just wasn't a whole lot available where our pick was. I know the rage nowadays is to play young quarterbacks early and often, and Cam did do unprecedented things last year, but I wonder if having Anderson play for at least the early part of last year would've helped Newton with what we're seeing now. It seems to me he's never dealt with significant adversity before, and he clearly can't handle it. The talk of a mind coach and Mr. Mopeyhead and all of that is frankly embarrassing: I think this offseason is going to be where it's make it or break it for Cam. If he's ever going to be able to get over sulking after turnovers and blown leads and all of that, it's gotta happen sooner or later. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of drafting yet another quarterback so soon after Clausen and Newton (and I didn't want Clausen, either), but if Cam can't make the mental adjustment sooner rather than later, then we have to go in another direction.

Lastly, I frankly enjoy watching the defense currently, because they're largely more competent than the offense. Luke and Thomas are quietly becoming two of my favorite players (though Davis always was, it just re-ignites that for me), and I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sherrod Martin picking up his game. The Norman kid has his moments, and it's nice to see the defensive line making an impact.

he is the main player not living up to expectations, so i guess thats why he is worth talking about. i would hate to know how he feels about his personal goals he needs to reach, since no other man can even imagine his own expectations, he isn't remotely living up to the average fans expectations. maybe he should have more reasonable, team-oriented goals.

what are your specific criticisms of cam this year?

On the field of play, he's been locking on to receivers too many times. Too hesitant to scramble when nothing is there (may be being coached not to). Overall, its hard to gauge him because our scheme and O line is hurting his production.

My main criticism of him is he's letting too many of his teammates off the hook every week taking all the blame for their lack of production and complacency with losing. I would like to see Cam point out his O line has to block better for him and his receivers need to get open more. Just saying "its all on me, everybody else is fine" might be want the homers on this board want to hear so they can still view scrubs as stars and good players, but it doesnt make us a better ballclub. It just makes him a more convenient scapegoat.

I hope our new GM and coaching staff truly allow Cam to lead, and hold him accountable for holding others accountable. Right now we want him to be the workhouse, but dont want him having any authority or power over the line and wideouts. We left too many of Fox's guys and Jake's guys on this team 2 years ago, and its still hurting us.

My main criticism of him is he's letting too many of his teammates off the hook every week taking all the blame for their lack of production and complacency with losing. I would like to see Cam point out his O line has to block better for him and his receivers need to get open more. Just saying "its all on me, everybody else is fine" might be want the homers on this board want to hear so they can still view scrubs as stars and good players, but it doesnt make us a better ballclub. It just makes him a more convenient scapegoat.

i disagree 100%. whether or not they deserve it, it's extremely poor leadership to throw your teammates under the bus. contrary to what you've stated, i think the fact that cam HASN'T come out and criticized those guys publicly is the number one sign that he's a maturing young man and a leader of men. a lesser quarterback would have snapped and pointed fingers by now, and cam has done the opposite of that.

if you want to be angry, focus your rage on the management that's surrounded him with poor talent and the inept coaching staff. cam is a tremendous asset and it shouldn't take more than an average coaching staff to find ways to win with him, which says a lot about the staff we have.

i do think hurney being gone will spell the end of plugging scrubs into key positions and pretending we're crafty drafters because we got production out of JAGs, which is going to make cam look a whole lot better and enable him to do his job.

i disagree 100%. whether or not they deserve it, it's extremely poor leadership to throw your teammates under the bus. contrary to what you've stated, i think the fact that cam HASN'T come out and criticized those guys publicly is the number one sign that he's a maturing young man and a leader of men. a lesser quarterback would have snapped and pointed fingers by now, and cam has done the opposite of that.

Well, Steve Smith has been throwing guys under the bus for years and most people on this board will tell you he's a leader and the heart & soul of this team. When he called Jarrett out PUBLICLY a couple of years ago, dude got tremendous praise on this very board for it. And Cam has been protecting guys all year, taking blame for them, only so Zod and some of the homers can tell us emphatically HE'S NOT A LEADER or has alot of immaturity. LOL. I say Newton needs to take a page from Peyton and Brady's book and let guys know they have to do better PUBLICLY. Taking the blame for them, hasnt gotten them to play better or made people think he's a leader.

Archived