• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those of you with a truck

Hawk

That 300 was a damned stump puller. I miss having one.

Yep, we had a '82 Ford F150 at the company I worked for in college in 1993... we beat the hell out of that truck... hauling, towing, racing, and it would just go and go. It had about 300K miles on it when I last drove it, was all beat to hell and ran strong as the first day I got in it.

A few years later I bought a '84 from my FiL with that same motor and it was awesome. That truck would do anything.

I went to a Nissan dealer and the sales dude told me not to consider a Titan....and I was like, WHAT? you sell them and you are telling me not to consider it??? he said, I'll sell you a Maxima or any other car, but I don't like selling the Titans because we have so many problems with them...true story!!!

Interesting opinion on the Dodge...we see alot of them in this area as fleet trucks in the oil biz too...I always thought it was because they were tough...but I never considered the 100,000 mile thing.

I went to a Nissan dealer and the sales dude told me not to consider a Titan....and I was like, WHAT? you sell them and you are telling me not to consider it??? he said, I'll sell you a Maxima or any other car, but I don't like selling the Titans because we have so many problems with them...true story!!!

Interesting opinion on the Dodge...we see alot of them in this area as fleet trucks in the oil biz too...I always thought it was because they were tough...but I never considered the 100,000 mile thing.

I'm over 30,000 miles and haven't had a problem yet. My neighbor has 150K on his and no problems, just routine maintenance.

*knocks on wood*

Well, it can be a positive or a negative, the way you look at it...

Our fleet vehicles are driven by dozens of different people with different driving styles... Some may be extra tough on them... From the way they treat the interior, I'm not surprised some of the cheap body stuff doesn't hold up... Same may be true for the stuff under the hood...

i'll be in the market for a new truck in about six months... my faithful ford ranger that i've had since high school blew up this summer and i've been getting around in a 1987 volvo station wagon that looks like it belongs on a brady bunch set. i'm trying to get into flipping houses as a side project and i can't exactly haul around sheetrock and two-by-fours in what i've got.

anybody here got opinions on toyota tacomas? i'm leaning towards an 03 or 04 model, my parents owned one when i was in high school and from the little bit of driving i did with it it was outstanding.

I'm a Chevy guy, but I absolutely LOVE the new GMC's. Can't go wrong with an F-150 either, and I hate Ford. But, F-150s are just good trucks.

Dime a dozen, really. Find out what rides more comfortably for you and gets you the best mileage (which, I really think that is the GMCs). I hate the Dodge trucks drive, some people love it. I have buddies who hate the way Chevy's drive, but love Dodges. Just a matter of preference.

so why would you recommend the Avalanche over a standard pick up...what are some differences/advantages?

The back seats are roomier than most extended cabs... It is basically like an SUV...

The bed comes with panel covers, and Avalanches have the convenient lockable saddle bag storage areas... The back seats fold down to give you the ability to have a full size bed if you need it...

It also (mine at least) rides quiet and smooth...

It has a high quality engine, and gets good MPG compared to other vehicles its size...

The disadvantages are that it is a bigger truck and won't get the MPG of trucks smaller and lighter than it... It's a big vehicle and it can be a garage/parking space/road hog... I get about 15 MPG on average, but that is a v8 engine...It takes me about $90 to fill up if I let it get less than a quarter tank, and that'll last around 425-500 miles depending on the type of driving you do...

If you fold the back seats down to get the full size bed, they don't lay entirely flat and you've got a cab opening to the outside...

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for... Me personally, I was looking for something sitting higher on the road and a lot of storage space...

i'll be in the market for a new truck in about six months... my faithful ford ranger that i've had since high school blew up this summer and i've been getting around in a 1987 volvo station wagon that looks like it belongs on a brady bunch set. i'm trying to get into flipping houses as a side project and i can't exactly haul around sheetrock and two-by-fours in what i've got.

anybody here got opinions on toyota tacomas? i'm leaning towards an 03 or 04 model, my parents owned one when i was in high school and from the little bit of driving i did with it it was outstanding.

If your main purpose is "handy man" type stuff, you might want to think through bed size on the smaller trucks.

Sheetrock and other items can be a pain in the but to haul with small beds. Once or twice, no biggie, but continually having to compensate for small bed issues can be a hassle

If your main purpose is "handy man" type stuff, you might want to think through bed size on the smaller trucks.

Sheetrock and other items can be a pain in the but to haul with small beds. Once or twice, no biggie, but continually having to compensate for small bed issues can be a hassle

+1

I had two S10s when I was younger, and the smaller bed can be a headache when you are looking to do big things like flipping a house would require.

Archived