• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte is the worst sports town in the galaxy

SCP

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

I never got that you need to have ties to a city to be a fan of a team. I totally get that people in their 30's and 40's are Steeler, Cowboy, Laker, Celtic fans because I am in my late 30's and growing up as a kid that is who everyone saw on TV every weekend regardless of where you lived so people chose sides. Many people chose sides and stuck with those teams no matter where they live and have passed their love of the teams onto their kids. I dunno....it just doesn't bother me like it does some, I am just on the side of you can cheer for whoever the fug you want and for any reason you want. Besides, many of those people are usually easy to make look like a fool when debating sports.

what? i'm talking about the reach of the dallas cowboys fanbase being similar to the reach of the lakers', not necessarily LA's quality as a sports town.

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

Fwiw, I was being somewhat facetious with my first post. I don't really think that LA is a bad sports city, nor do I think that Charlotte is a bad sports city. Charlotte is just a lot smaller than most of the cities it is being compared to.

When I was growing up in NC, there was every bit as much fanatcism about sports as I saw in other areas when I got older and moved away. The difference was what sports they were fanatics about. I rarely if ever heard any conversations about the pro sports league. Everything was Duke/UNC/Wake/NCSU first, then NASCAR, occassionally college football, and then the pro sports.

Since Charlotte is a much smaller city than LA or NY or Philly, the Panthers have to draw fans from all over North and South Carolina. And since the fans in these states are nowhere near as devoted to the Panthers as they are to UNC or Clemson in South Carolina, they are not going to drive 2-3 hours to see a team that is as bad as we have been since 2008. The larger cities have several million people that can ride a subway to see their teams, so even if the teams suck, they still have a decent shot at filling up the stadium. And not only the stadiums, but the bars surrounding the stadiums.

But if UNC played basketball in the Bobcats arena, they would likely sellout just about ACC game. And if any fans of opposing teams showed up, they would likely have to pay significantly more for the tickets than they would going to a Panthers game.

That might make Charlotte a bad NFL town, but it doesn't make it a bad sports town.

Trust me when I say Tampa is actually worse. Not going to diss on the die-hards, because the ones at the stadium are actually quite good at being fans and knowing how to impose home-field advantage, but their problem is, the majority of the folks here are completely apathetic when it comes to any sport.

It's an unusual occurrence when the game doesn't get blacked out, rather than the other way around.

Archived