• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Cam a QB coach worth a damn

Awesomeness!!

This is a very important point. I remember watching Cam in pre-season and early this season, and thinking he was playing "tight", probably due to thinking too much about the offseason coaching points.

i remember that when mccoy was fired for basically doing nothing with jake we brought in rip scherer to try and make him more technically efficient and all that happened was jake's brain was cluttered with TMI and couldn't play instinctively like he used to and at that point he had more than enough problems. they tried scaling back the "coaching" and tried to let him play looser, but i think it was too little too late. jake was a naturally talented player. it wasn't pretty, but it worked a lot. bret favre was the same way and you could go through a whole lot of QBs who were good, but weren't technicians and were, in fact, just ugly.

cam is a very natural player as well and he's done a lot of improving technically, which is good, but i don't want to push it or force the issue because i don't want to change who cam is.

i remember that when mccoy was fired for basically doing nothing with jake we brought in rip scherer to try and make him more technically efficient and all that happened was jake's brain was cluttered with TMI and couldn't play instinctively like he used to and at that point he had more than enough problems. they tried scaling back the "coaching" and tried to let him play looser, but i think it was too little too late. jake was a naturally talented player. it wasn't pretty, but it worked a lot. bret favre was the same way and you could go through a whole lot of QBs who were good, but weren't technicians and were, in fact, just ugly.

cam is a very natural player as well and he's done a lot of improving technically, which is good, but i don't want to push it or force the issue because i don't want to change who cam is.

Yep, Delhomme was a gambling gunslinger....was kind of silly to "fix" him with the QB coach change. Those type guys don't need to over think

To a degree, you gotta let Cam play playground ball

I don't want just a playmaker at QB, I want a surgeon. I want Cam to be a play-making surgeon. So yes, he needs to work on his footwork, and learn to throw with anticipation. He needs to know where all his guys are on the field, and manipulate defenses. Then and only then will Cam be the best QB in the league. A bigger and faster version of Aaron Rodgers.

I don't want just a playmaker at QB, I want a surgeon. I want Cam to be a play-making surgeon. So yes, he needs to work on his footwork, and learn to throw with anticipation. He needs to know where all his guys are on the field, and manipulate defenses. Then and only then will Cam be the best QB in the league. A bigger and faster version of Aaron Rodgers.

Attempts to change a quarterback into a different kind of quarterback pretty much never work. The better approach is to recognize what he is (a mobile gunslinger) and just make him the best version of that he can be.

And as others have said in this thread, Shula's developing him just fine. The O-Line needs improvement which will help Newton a lot, but no, Shula isn't failing him.

I don't think people realize he only just finished his second season.

He throws off his backfoot a lot. I mean a whole lot. That's just Cam being Cam, I've come to accept this. His inaccuracies are him being a gun slinger. Come to accept this fact too. He just needs better decision making and that comes with experience, which he's done by playing two full seasons. He'll be better next year.

Attempts to change a quarterback into a different kind of quarterback pretty much never work. The better approach is to recognize what he is (a mobile gunslinger) and just make him the best version of that he can be.

And as others have said in this thread, Shula's developing him just fine. The O-Line needs improvement which will help Newton a lot, but no, Shula isn't failing him.

Cam's more than a gunslinger. I've seen him make very accurate throws. Bullet passes on point, and throws that were dropped in on a dime. Yet for throws that weren't accurate, he was throwing falling back off the wrong foot, not fully stepping into them. If it weren't for his arm strength, a lot of his passes would have been picked off. Yet all in all, when his footwork is on point, he is very accurate.

So I want a coach who will encourage Cam to be consistent in that footwork. Not just a playmaker. If we get a coach or coaches who only wants Cam to be a gunslinging play making QB, he will never reach his potential. We will struggle to make the playoffs every year because of it.

Cam's more than a gunslinger. I've seen him make very accurate throws. Bullet passes on point, and throws that were dropped in on a dime. Yet for throws that weren't accurate, he was throwing falling back off the wrong foot, not fully stepping into them. If it weren't for his arm strength, a lot of his passes would have been picked off. Yet all in all, when his footwork is on point, he is very accurate.

So I want a coach who will encourage Cam to be consistent in that footwork. Not just a playmaker. If we get a coach or coaches who only wants Cam to be a gunslinging play making QB, he will never reach his potential. We will struggle to make the playoffs every year because of it.

Any QB coach is going to work with him on the fundamentals. I know it's important to Shula.

Newton makes some incredible throws. He also makes some incredulous throws. Like every gunslinger, he's a mix of "how did he do that" and "why did he do that" and probably always will be. You just have to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives (essentially the way they coached Favre).

I don't want just a playmaker at QB, I want a surgeon. I want Cam to be a play-making surgeon.... A bigger and faster version of Aaron Rodgers.

you're just setting yourself up for disappointment then. totally unrealistic expectation.

I don't think people realize he only just finished his second season.

I agree. We all need to remember that for most of Cam's football career (high school, college), he was taught to be a playmaker. Yet he never really received any polished teaching, if I can use that term. By that I mean having good footwork, and throwing with anticipation, etc. We get a coach who will teach him those things, Cam will tranform into a legendary QB.

agreed completely.

cam on his current trajectory is shaping into one of the most dominant QBs in the game.

I agree. We all need to remember that for most of Cam's football career (high school, college), he was taught to be a playmaker. Yet he never really received any polished teaching, if I can use that term. By that I mean having good footwork, and throwing with anticipation, etc. We get a coach who will teach him those things, Cam will tranform into a legendary QB.

I believe the light will come on eventually no matter what. Yes people, he has done all of this already and the light hasn't even come on yet. Wait until year four or five and we will see some amazing things from this guy. Imagine how godly he will be five years from now!

agreed completely.

cam on his current trajectory is shaping into one of the most dominant QBs in the game.

Favre wasn't always the most accurate thrower either, but he got the done and frustrated the living hell out of his opponents in the process. I can easily see Newton doing that.

Archived