• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spoke with Jim Szoke on the phone...

L-TownCat

I had an opportunity to interview Szoke over the phone for my podcast today. We discussed several different things going on with the Panthers, GM, Coach, Cam, player acquisition etc. the man is an incredible interview and knows more about the panthers than any one man should but ill give you the gist of what he told me.

On the GM search:

He said he believes the organization is playing this one close to the vest and is really going all out to find the best possible candidate that A: is ok with Rivera having one more year and B: is comfortable with Cam as the QB for the foreseeable future.

On the Coach:

As I just said He believes Rivera will have one more year since the team was trending up at the end of the season per JR's request. Also he believes that Rivera will have success clauses for next year. Baisically Playoffs or bust. Then the new GM will have the right to hire anyone that he chooses.

On players/roster:

Said LT, WR, CB look to be the biggest needs going into either free agency or the draft. He didn't say anything about players being cut or restructured.

On Cam:

Said he took the losing streak really hard but matured seemingly overnight and saw that his attitude could indeed effect the team negatively.

On the offense changing midway through the season:

Said the coaches changed their approach to a quicker more pro set because of the olines inability to block as long as they needed to. Which he said wasn't a knock on the guys but that it was a lot to ask of any o line to block for that long that often. He did however mention the o line as a need in the offseason.

As a disclaimer these were his personal feelings on the subject and these notes are paraphrased at best. They in no way represent the panthers organization. As soon as I finish editing the interview into my podcast and get it posted I will give the link if you care to listen.

There isn't anything groundbreaking here but it was fun for me and I thought I would share with the huddle!

InB4 "What the hell is a Jim Szoke"

Ok I'll play, he's that guy who has covered every single panther game in franchise history, the host of the pre and post game shows, preseason play-by-play analyst, co host of Panther Talk, basically the color analyst for the panthers. That help?

If LT and corner are 2 of our biggest needs it could mean we are looking to cut Gross. It could mean we cut Gamble or are referring to the number 2 corner. Wide receiver suggests we are serious about finding a replacement for Smith for down the road.

I doesn't surprise me that Rivera could be kept. A 4 game win streak even in" meaningless games" is a big deal especially when they include Atlanta (who Richardson reportedly doesn't like) and New Orleans in the dome. Division rivals are a big deal.

Archived