• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For all complaining about Rivera's record in close games...

Gabeking

I always found that particular take a little silly.

Would people have felt better about him if our losses were all blowouts? At least we came close to winning.

if we're going to lose i'd rather it be close.

the fact that there's so much of it going on is a problem. if rivera can't figure out how to overcome it, which it is his responsibility to figure out and fix because, well, it's his job, then we've got to move on from him.

If we go fifty/fifty in close games next year it will portend good things. I think if we hit on all cylinders like we did in December, we are a hard out next year. If we had won half of our close ones this year we would have been 10-6 and in the thick of things. Shouldn't be to hard to contend for the division.

I find it amusing when people use this to try and convince other people that we are actually better than we were, or that Rivera is better than he was. LOTS of NFL teams lose close games all season long. It is not some Panthers Only thing. The only thing that this league is about is winning now. Not winning in 2-3 years, not building some young team in hopes they bloom and you have a dynasty, not preparing for the future, not building through a Draft, not giving players and coaches third/fourth/fifth chances, etc. He failed as a coach this season. His only job next season, and the team's only job, is to make the Playoffs. PERIOD.

Stop with all the "what ifs", the "buts", the "almosts", that "other teams had an easier schedule" crap, the "other QBs win because of a system and/or their defense" nonsense, and any other crap that makes you feel better about our team. We have ONE goal, gents. And until we reach that goal, it's a failure. And that is as real as it gets.

EDIT: And don't forget this: What if the Aints, Redskins, Eagles, and Falcons all did "this different" or "managed that better"? Under some of your logic, we could have LOST those games. See how silly it is?

I find it amusing when people use this to try and convince other people that we are actually better than we were, or that Rivera is better than he was. LOTS of NFL teams lose close games all season long. It is not some Panthers Only thing. The only thing that this league is about is winning now. Not winning in 2-3 years, not building some young team in hopes they bloom and you have a dynasty, not preparing for the future, not building through a Draft, not giving players and coaches third/fourth/fifth chances, etc. He failed as a coach this season. His only job next season, and the team's only job, is to make the Playoffs. PERIOD.

Stop with all the "what ifs", the "buts", the "almosts", that "other teams had an easier schedule" crap, the "other QBs win because of a system and/or their defense" nonsense, and any other crap that makes you feel better about our team. We have ONE goal, gents. And until we reach that goal, it's a failure. And that is as real as it gets.

EDIT: And don't forget this: What if the Aints, Redskins, Eagles, and Falcons all did "this different" or "managed that better"? Under some of your logic, we could have LOST those games. See how silly it is?

Can't disagree!!!!!!!!!

Can only, "AGREE"!!!!

Well, I wasn't trying to convince anyone, just pointing out an interesting stat and sharing my own opinion, just like how you shared yours.

All the "fire Rivera" fans now are trying to back Rivera up and convince us? Youre a joke

What are they supposed to do? Keep screaming fire Rivera or just find another team because they didn't want Rivera another season?

I am as diehard about this team as any fan here. I do what I can to follow this team 24/7/365.

I wanted Rivera gone and think it was a bad decision by management to retain him. Heres why.

Rivera as been ranting and raving for two season about being tough. Playing tough, Old 85' Chicago Bears Tough. Yet, when the decision to make a tough call. He chose the more conservative approached and we got burned. More than once. You cannot preach something and then practice the opposite.

One example Atlanta game. 4th and 1 after the fumble. You have one of the toughest QBs and a human bowling ball in Tolbert. Show some fortitude and go for it. You get that 1 yd. Game over. Season saved. Redemption from the NYG Dabacle. Instead you punt it knowing Matt Ryan has been exploiting our defense all game long. 25/40 369 3 Tds 1 int. Then to make matters worse plays soft defense.

That said, Rivera was retained. Not my decision, not my wish but Rivera is a Panther and I will hope our management is right and I am wrong. I will support Rivera and hope he has learned from his mistakes.

Note to Rivera. Coach like you played, with Toughness. Stick to your game plan when it has been working. Be ready to adjust when it isn't. Don't be conserative and play to win not play not to lose.

What are they supposed to do? Keep screaming fire Rivera or just find another team because they didn't want Rivera another season?

I am as diehard about this team as any fan here. I do what I can to follow this team 24/7/365.

I wanted Rivera gone and think it was a bad decision by management to retain him. Heres why.

Rivera as been ranting and raving for two season about being tough. Playing tough, Old 85' Chicago Bears Tough. Yet, when the decision to make a tough call. He chose the more conservative approached and we got burned. More than once. You cannot preach something and then practice the opposite.

One example Atlanta game. 4th and 1 after the fumble. You have one of the toughest QBs and a human bowling ball in Tolbert. Show some fortitude and go for it. You get that 1 yd. Game over. Season saved. Redemption from the NYG Dabacle. Instead you punt it knowing Matt Ryan has been exploiting our defense all game long. 25/40 369 3 Tds 1 int. Then to make matters worse plays soft defense.

That said, Rivera was retained. Not my decision, not my wish but Rivera is a Panther and I will hope our management is right and I am wrong. I will support Rivera and hope he has learned from his mistakes.

Note to Rivera. Coach like you played, with Toughness. Stick to your game plan when it has been working. Be ready to adjust when it isn't. Don't be conserative and play to win not play not to lose.

Stop harping on the Atlanta game.

99% of the coaches in the league would have made the same decision.

From mid-field...with 1 minute left...if you don't get the first down, then you have basically handed the game to the opponent.

He made the RIGHT decision....the defense just did not do their part (Nakamura...cough, cough).

So you are saying if we had less DBs playing the deep ball on that pass to Roddy White the ball would not have been caught? That makes no sense.

Theres a reason just about every question mark in our secondary got benched at some point in the season.

Atlanta game: 4th and 1 call and having the safeties up to play the run (quick hint: let them run all they want to)

Seattle game: 4th and Goal from the 1 with a 250 lbs 6 ft 5 inch QB...and you roll him out

Chicago game: We run the same soft coverage over and over and over till Chicago gets in FG position. My take: This was overcompensation due to the Roddy White long bomb in Atl. Reactionary coaching = loss

Three coaching decisions that cost us games right there.

Archived