• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Touchdown Scorer's(case for going WR early in draft).

panther4life

Haven't looked over this years draft class, but just from mild observations, this seems like a weak receiver class.

Sounds like any impact received will come in form of a free agent. So I wouldn't get your hopes up getting a number 1 wr this year.

Thank you Mr. Claw. Some people want a wr so bad that they are willing to pump up players with a lot of ? to get one.

To me, this class looks incredibly weak for 1st round caliber WRs, but probably the best I've ever seen at 2nd round WRs. My (realistic) dream scenario is Hankins in the 1st and Hunter in the 2nd. But I'd be happy with Patterson, Rogers, Hopkins, or maybe Austin or Woods the 2nd too.

Haven't looked over this years draft class, but just from mild observations, this seems like a weak receiver class.

Sounds like any impact received will come in form of a free agent. So I wouldn't get your hopes up getting a number 1 wr this year.

if bpa is a WR at #14 you have to take him.some people fail to realize that some of those sacks were coverage sacks bc WR could not get open or seperate from coverage. we also have a GM who comes from an organization that has took WR early and often even when they had decent threats on the outside. why every WR drafted in the 1st have to be AJ Green or Julio?if there was one of those guys in the draft than they will be gone long before 14.

there are several guys who could be #1 WRs in this draft. have the speed, hands, and route running ability to become #1s.

Yeah, yeah,yeah. I hope we draft WR from this avg. Class. So when all this explosiveness doesn't happen like you think.

So you think Gettleman would be an idiot if he drafted a WR at 14? The point being is this, if they draft one at 14, I don't think they are just reaching on an average player.

While nearly all of the WRs are a bit raw in places, I think this is a very good year to find a #1 WR in the draft. Having said that, I think we need to address the OL in a huge way. Does that mean with the first pick? Not necessarily.

In round 1, I think we have to take Lane Johnson or Chance Warmack if they are on the board. Johnson improves RT until Gross proves he can no longer handle LT. If they are gone, then I say you have to go WR, CB, or DT. There are no CBs after Milliner worth #14. I think that Allen and Patterson are probably going to show why they are worth a mid first round selection in Indy.

Looking at the draft's second round, it would be hard to let a WR silp by if you did not take one in the first. On the other hand, that is where the CBs who could step in an play are too.

Trading down is the best plan.

Here are the WRs who could become #1s:

Allen

Patterson

Patton

Rogers

Hopkins

Woods

Hunter

Williams

These should be very good #2 WRs with an outside shot of developing into a #1:

King

Dobson

Austin

Stills

These should be solid pros:

Swope

Harper

Bailey

Vernon

Matthews

However, common sense says you do not shop for another WR while the OL is in shambles. Protect Cam, the passing game gets better. Improve the run game, the passing game gets better. Add a WR, you do not protect Cam or improve the run game.

SLEEPER WR PROSPECTS: Mellette (Elon), Swope (Tex A&M), Vernon (Duke) and Matthews (Vandy).

If you make your decision by watching these Big 12 offenses that rack up 55 points per game and 650 yards of offense, you are certain to be disappointed. The Tennessee boys (Hunter, Patterson, Rogers) are good because Bray was often erratic and they played SEC defenses. I do not know what to think of Bailey and Austin, for example, because they were in that WV offense and their conference that seems to have banned recruiting defensive players in or around 2004.

i'm sorry but isn't this the same reasoning that the falcons used when they got julio jones and we made fun of them for it when they had other glaring needs that needed to be addressed? Don't get me wrong, we need another WR, but we need more help on the lines than anything else in my opinion. truth be told, olsen is our #2 receiver, and a damn good one at that. if we can find a gem, i say go for it, but otherwise, I'd prefer we address DT or OL.

Archived