• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

" » The Carolina Panthers sure sound like they want to de-emphasize the read-option as part of their offense"

Brokenbad

FFS let me look up his posts...

Maybe you should look up the posts of our resident anti-dentite while you are at it.

Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know he is saying they should have their own schools.

Maybe you should look up the posts of our resident anti-dentite while you are at it.

Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know he is saying they should have their own schools.

THEY DO HAVE THEIR OWN SCHOOLS! CRA he's just a dentist...chill out.

Fact: The read-option is not the same as the pistol, which is the offense in SF, Seattle and Washington. Try not to confuse the two because they are considerably different.

Fact: Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton and Griffin are mobile QBs, but they can also throw from the pocket or on the move.

Stop assuming mobile QBs can't throw and pocket QBs can't run. The opponents of the pistol and/or read option (Arians) don't seem to grasp this simple idea.

Opinion: Carolina should dump the read option in favor of the pistol.

Fact: The read-option is not the same as the pistol, which is the offense in SF, Seattle and Washington. Try not to confuse the two because they are considerably different.

Fact: Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton and Griffin are mobile QBs, but they can also throw from the pocket or on the move.

Stop assuming mobile QBs can't throw and pocket QBs can't run. The opponents of the pistol and/or read option (Arians) don't seem to grasp this simple idea.

Opinion: Carolina should dump the read option in favor of the pistol.

The read option and the pistol are not the same because one is a formation and the other is an action or type of play.

The read option itself is not different whether it is run from the pistol or shotgun formations.

The second fact, I 100% agree with you.

As for your opinion, the pistol has the read option as a part of it. You can't get rid of one for the other.

However, there are some things I like about the shotgun formation in terms of the read option itself. For one it is more deceptive. With the pistol all you will usually see in terms of the read option is a dive option. You can't really run a sweep option (which I am not a big fan of anyway), or a zone read option in which the running back come across the front of the QB and goes to the weakside (see Cam's 70+ yard run against ATL). All you can really do from the pistol is a dive option or a speed option.

So from the standpoint of the read option itself, working from a pistol formation limits your options unless you start running a lot of triple option plays in which the FB is lined up next to you, and he runs the zone read and the RB behind you is the pitch guy.

The benefit of the pistol is you can run a more traditional offense out of it. You can run virtually any NFL style offense out of it. And when you add the read option it gives the defense an added element that it has to account for.

Also the pistol formation is a natural fit for Shannahan because he has always run a lot of stretch run plays with zone blocking, which is a big part of what most teams who run a lot of pistol incorporate.

I prefer the way we run it now. I hope we continue with what we did at the end of last season.

But I understand and see the benefit of pistol formations as well.

Archived