• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

panther4life

I cam here expecting to roll my eyes yet you make a valid argument. It could also be argued that cam needs to work on making quicker decisions and not all fault is on our receivers themselves.

either way, interesting.

oline needs improved. cam needs to make quicker decisions. WR corps needs an influx of talent.

all these things are correct.

I mentioned every thing you said already in the op. I agree that Cam can extend the play so having a stellar o-line for someone like him is less than important than it would be to a someone like Peyton.

Our weakest position on the line is our Guard play. So do you think Warmack or a top WR prospect will help the offense as a whole more?

Personally? I think we need both just as much, and i think they should take who the best player on their board is when it's their time to pick.. But i think you're under-valuing what good line play does for the rest of the offense.

But Pff had Brady's o-line as one of the best......

last year the pats offense was set up just like the broncos, to be a quick strike get the ball out fast passing game. its only natural that their OL would look better.

and that time with the ball was by design for them. when you have an old immobile QB, and defenses are geared to attack the more mobile ones, you've got to find ways to get rid of the ball quickly....which is something we've got to do better and more often.

Many, many times, Cam had too hold onto the ball way too long because receivers couldn't get open. Just check some of the game-day threads.

Of course sometimes he had no time in the pocket, especially later on when the injuries piled up.

We definitely need a #2 future #1 WR whether in this draft or the next but we need to sure up the O-Line and have better depth as well.

Those stats could be an indication of his receivers not getting open plus him simply holding onto the ball a bit too long and not making quick decisions as well (the latter issue was more in the first half of the season than the second). Although I do think we're going to pick a receiver early in this draft, don't sit here and tell me our line play (especially on the right side) isn't an issue either. Also, don't doubt that cam's ability to extend plays doesn't contribute to that amount of time he has in the pocket as well..

Read the title, and I'm pretty certain he is counting both as a need. Giants do real well drafting late round lineman too. Doesn't mean the same will hold true for Gettleman, but I hope so.

the more i consider it the more i want to draft a dynamic receiver at #14 and grab a veteran lineman like boothe and plug him in at RG. grab a little more depth in the draft and i think we'd be drastically improved personnel-wise over last season.

remember that our OL for years has taken several weeks to gel and get their poo together. quite often it took half the season.

by that time we had lost our all pro center and were stuck with a sophomore RT and shifting poo/green players in the interior.

this is the second year in a row that we started a rookie on the OL and thats always going to be a problem. as long as we don't go into next season with another rookie starting on the line, none of gross, kalil, bell, and silatolu get hurt and miss a lot if time, and we pick up a decent OG in FA this year, the OL will be quite a bit better than the last couple years.

of course adding a wideout or two who can get open, an OC who doesn't have most if his plays taking 5 secinds to develop (we're pretty much screwed there), and cam makes quicker decisions, the OL will look better. adding a rookie or two to the starting lineup won't help much...at least for the first season or two. where we are picking, i wouldn't count on OL being early solid contributors.

the more i consider it the more i want to draft a dynamic receiver at #14 and grab a veteran lineman like boothe and plug him in at RG. grab a little more depth in the draft and i think we'd be drastically improved personnel-wise over last season.

agreed.

Oh yes of course, the problem is we are not allowing Armanti more time to run complex routes, got it!

Did I mention Armanti, wise ass? Why would you assume I meant a WR who rarely plays? Do you really expect stats that cannot be compared due to various offensive strategies to be used to determine that WRs are more important than offensive linemen? My theory is that you have to change an opposing viewpoint in order to argue against it.

Wow. PFF has a loyal follower.

I think these stats are more indicative of the oline play, offensive scheme (short quick passes) and the style of the QB. Wilson, cam, and RG3 move around a lot by design.

But the guys that get rid of the ball faster all have decent wide receivers so I see your point just not sure it's THAT cut and dry.

Archived