• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

panther4life

Guest BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a

Maybe the route the receivers run have something to do with it. Payton and Brady are in a 3-step systems(dink&dunk&YAC). The slot receivers/TEs are the most important. The panthers are a 7-step drop offense where long route running of Smith Steve is crucial. This offense try to take advantage of Cam's strong arm while brad/manning don't have that strong of an arm. How often you see peyton/brady put the ball on a rope? Almost never

For your 1st question, No.

2nd question. Armanti, Pilares, Gettis,Ginn are the depth chart in some order behind Lafell.

3rd question. If you read my commentary next to each bolded stat I tried to be very objective about it and even conceded some of those stats are skewed because of scheme. Granted after weighing all the info and relying on my memory of watching games I still believe Cam would benefit from another weapon more than he would a new o-lineman and provided many panther specific reasons to back that up.

I also am humble enough and open for discussion to hear other opinion's(read my first sentence in the op) or why else would I share my thoughts on a message board if I didn't want to hear varying opinions?(rhetorical question)

Yes I loyally pay my $26/year to get the most comprehensive stats in the industry. If you follow any NFL writers on twitter they reference PFF often as does ESPN. Personally I don't take everything they say for gold(I constantly point out flaws in their grading system) but I like the access to the stats.

That isn't the WR depth chart....bc all those guys won't be on the team next season

Anyone that attended games last year will tell you two things.

1. Cam didn't have enough time to throw the football.

2. When he did have time there was usually not an open reciever.

It's a double edged sword both work together. I think WR is the bigger issue as the roster sits at this point. Bell and Amini will continue to get better while I don't think Lafell will ever be a #1 target and we need smitty in the slot to extend his career.

As OP so eloquently pointed out, even when our stellar OLine gave Cam more than enough time to find a reciever, Smitty is too old and inept to get open. Just cut him and move on.

Hey, skewing words and making your own opinions IS more fun. Neato!!!

Also, OP neglected to include this from the article, which helps explain the numbers-

The best place to start is which quarterback has the longest time to throw. Now to explain what ‘time to throw’ is, we record the time from when the ball is snapped to the point where the quarterback has either thrown a pass or can no longer throw a pass (has been sacked or has scrambled past the line of scrimmage).

A lot of times, Cam was pressured immediately, and his ability to scramble and buy time saved him from being sacked. We gave up 36 sacks-how many would that have been if not for Cam running away from the defense?

All is good bud,and I am glad you are able to be civil as well...no way I was gonna extend this thread 15 pages beefing like other members do.

Yes, and I know you did some work here. I appreciate it-especially during the offseason.

some acutally was.

agreed.

everyone wants to find that one reason for something bad happening when its very rarely ever the case. usually its several factors. WRs share in the blame for QB pressures and sacks. any non-narrow minded person who actually watched can see that.

That isn't the WR depth chart....bc all those guys won't be on the team next season

at least 2 of AE, gettis, and pilares will probably be gone next year. none of them will be here after next year barring some miraculous breakout.

As OP so eloquently pointed out, even when our stellar OLine gave Cam more than enough time to find a reciever, Smitty is too old and inept to get open. Just cut him and move on.

Hey, skewing words and making your own opinions IS more fun. Neato!!!

Your doing exactly what you accused me of doing. Hypocrite.

Also, OP neglected to include this from the article, which helps explain the numbers-

A lot of times, Cam was pressured immediately, and his ability to scramble and buy time saved him from being sacked. We gave up 36 sacks-how many would that have been if not for Cam running away from the defense?

Time to throw stat was the first one I put in bold. If your going to dispute what I said at least read it.

agreed.

everyone wants to find that one reason for something bad happening when its very rarely ever the case. usually its several factors. WRs share in the blame for QB pressures and sacks. any non-narrow minded person who actually watched can see that.

exactly. i remember seeing Cam go thru several reads waiting for someone to come open before getting sacked or pressured as well as OL missing blitzes or just getting beat.

Archived