• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ruff's Pre-Draft Mock Draft

Ruff

This will be the one mock draft that I do before the real draft (now only ~24 days away! Can't wait! #bartscottvoice). I think this draft is going to go in a direction that many around here haven't. Here we go.

1st Round - Jonathan Cyprien, S - Florida International

A few people believe that this is a reach, but I definitely do not. I think that this is the one pick that will solidify our defense for years to come. When I've watched Cyprien play (like in the Senior Bowl), he looks so natural and fluid, and can cover the field in the blink of an eye. I see where the comparisons are coming that the man looks like Ed Reed. He's strong, he's a hard-hitter, and he will eventually be able to outsmart opposing offenses. With Luke in front of Cyprien, we will have two guys that really give us an edge in the coverage game, while also giving us two guys that can help in the run game, as well.

2nd Round - Quinton Patton, WR - LA Tech

Patton is probably my favorite player in this entire draft. He's not as dynamic as Austin or Patterson, but his numbers are staggering. According to a new report, he dropped only 0.9% of the passes thrown his way last year. Yes, less than 1%. What makes that number even more incredible is that he was constantly double covered, being the only real threat on the offensive side of the ball for LA Tech. Patton has been the ultimate model in consistency, and he will provide that same level of ability in the pro game, giving us a solid #1/#2 receiver for the next decade.

4th Round - JC Tretter, OG - Cornell

Athletic, smart, and a real professional, these words have been used to describe Tretter. After dominating the Ivy League for pretty much his entire collegiate career, Tretter earned an invite to the Senior Bowl, which is incredibly high praise for someone inside of the Ivy League schools. Tretter didn't get to play, however, after suffering a broken nose that set him back. That doesn't diminish what Tretter has done on the field. Originally a basketball star, who was recruited as a tight end, that ended up playing incredibly well in the Guard position, Tretter is a smaller school/Guard version of Lane Johnson.

5th Round - TJ Barnes, DT/NT - Georgia Tech

If you're looking for someone who's job it is to stop the run and eat up defenders, look no further than TJ Barnes. Coming in at a massive 6'6 / 369lbs, Barnes is a guy who has played the true NT position in Georgia Tech's 34 defense since he arrived at the school. His ability there not only gives us a presence in the 43 defense as a massive road block, but he also gives us the ability to switch to the 34 with a true NT who knows the position well.

6th Round - John Lotulelei, OLB - UNLV

This isn't the Lotulelei you were expecting, I know, but this Lotulelei will give us depth at the OLB/WLB position for the next couple of years before he catches on well enough to move into the starting line up and take a starting job. Right now, with the situation of our LBs' health (both Beason and Davis), we need to start thinking about the future. A guy like John Lotulelei, who led his team in tackles in 2012, could really be a boon for a team that is needing depth on special teams as well as depth at a position where injury is definitely a concern.

This will be the one mock draft that I do before the real draft (now only ~24 days away! Can't wait! #bartscottvoice). I think this draft is going to go in a direction that many around here haven't. Here we go.

1st Round - Jonathan Cyprien, S - Florida International

A few people believe that this is a reach, but I definitely do not. I think that this is the one pick that will solidify our defense for years to come. When I've watched Cyprien play (like in the Senior Bowl), he looks so natural and fluid, and can cover the field in the blink of an eye. I see where the comparisons are coming that the man looks like Ed Reed. He's strong, he's a hard-hitter, and he will eventually be able to outsmart opposing offenses. With Luke in front of Cyprien, we will have two guys that really give us an edge in the coverage game, while also giving us two guys that can help in the run game, as well.

2nd Round - Quinton Patton, WR - LA Tech

Patton is probably my favorite player in this entire draft. He's not as dynamic as Austin or Patterson, but his numbers are staggering. According to a new report, he dropped only 0.9% of the passes thrown his way last year. Yes, less than 1%. What makes that number even more incredible is that he was constantly double covered, being the only real threat on the offensive side of the ball for LA Tech. Patton has been the ultimate model in consistency, and he will provide that same level of ability in the pro game, giving us a solid #1/#2 receiver for the next decade.

4th Round - JC Tretter, OG - Cornell

Athletic, smart, and a real professional, these words have been used to describe Tretter. After dominating the Ivy League for pretty much his entire collegiate career, Tretter earned an invite to the Senior Bowl, which is incredibly high praise for someone inside of the Ivy League schools. Tretter didn't get to play, however, after suffering a broken nose that set him back. That doesn't diminish what Tretter has done on the field. Originally a basketball star, who was recruited as a tight end, that ended up playing incredibly well in the Guard position, Tretter is a smaller school/Guard version of Lane Johnson.

5th Round - TJ Barnes, DT/NT - Georgia Tech

If you're looking for someone who's job it is to stop the run and eat up defenders, look no further than TJ Barnes. Coming in at a massive 6'6 / 369lbs, Barnes is a guy who has played the true NT position in Georgia Tech's 34 defense since he arrived at the school. His ability there not only gives us a presence in the 43 defense as a massive road block, but he also gives us the ability to switch to the 34 with a true NT who knows the position well.

6th Round - John Lotulelei, OLB - UNLV

This isn't the Lotulelei you were expecting, I know, but this Lotulelei will give us depth at the OLB/WLB position for the next couple of years before he catches on well enough to move into the starting line up and take a starting job. Right now, with the situation of our LBs' health (both Beason and Davis), we need to start thinking about the future. A guy like John Lotulelei, who led his team in tackles in 2012, could really be a boon for a team that is needing depth on special teams as well as depth at a position where injury is definitely a concern.

It appears we have similar minds concerning the draft

Archived