• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charles Davis reaffirms he is the biggest idiot in sports media

JawnyBlaze

Billick -" all top receivers in the league were drafted in the first round"

Case and point, Steve Smith? 3rd round.

And for the record, the top 5 receivers that lead the league in yards in 2012:

#1 - Calvin Johnson (1st round)

#2 - Andrew Johnson (1st round)

#3 - Brandon Marshall (4th round)

#4 - Demariyus Thomas (1st round)

#5 - Vincent Jackson (2nd round)

He might have a point that it's easier to find a great receiver in the 1st round, but there's just as many great receivers that weren't drafted in the 1st.

He might have a point that it's easier to find a great receiver in the 1st round, but there's just as many great receivers that weren't drafted in the 1st.

Oh yea, forgot about that bit. That was what originally made me think Billick was a bit off in that segment. The "all the best WRs come from the 1st, so if you need a WR you have to take one in the 1st". That's pretty crazy.

heh, we'll just agree to disagree then :)

I agree Star is versatile enough to play any DT position (including 3-4 DE), but I think he's best as a 4-3 DT. Not pigeon-holed into UT/NT, not every 4-3 team operates that way. He's just a big nasty DT that collapses pockets and holds the point of attack.

I think Sheldon fits 3-4 DE better BECAUSE he's undersized. 3-4 DEs are usually DTs that are a little taller, longer arms, and leaner than your average 4-3 DT. Ngata isn't the standard for 3-4 DEs, he's just the best because he's so athletic for his size. Guys like Seymour, Watt and Justin Smith are all taller, longer, leaner guys that are under 300 lbs and are the mold for 3-4 DEs. They could all function in a 4-3 as an UT I'm sure, but are better as 3-4 DEs, just like Richardson. Just my opinion though :)

I can see what you are saying. However, Missouri was a 4-3 team last year with very few if any 3-4 looks. It will be harder for a 4-3 DT to absorb into a 3-4 system as his only chance to play would be at DE, like you said. He will have to rely on his own instincts (which he will have very few of in that position) and won't have someone directly next to him to take up blocks. In fact, as a 3-4 DE, he'll have to take up blocks and place more emphasis on run stopping so the LB behind can get in the backfield, which is vastly different to what he was doing in college as a pass rushing UT.

I don't know....seems like a square peg-round hole situation for him in NY. I don't see Ryan making it work unless he wants more 4-3 looks in his D.

Oh yea, forgot about that bit. That was what originally made me think Billick was a bit off in that segment. The "all the best WRs come from the 1st, so if you need a WR you have to take one in the 1st". That's pretty crazy.

That is why teams like Pittsburgh and New York win titles. They start from the inside out and control the line of scrimmage. The one dude said that panties were in a wad and other dumb ish. I do get agitated when I see moronic fans clamor for a WR when Cam damn near passed for 8,000yds his first two seasons. Meanwhile, we can't hold a lead because teams can run, pass, and pretty much do whatever the hell they want to our defense. Personally, I don't want to be the Lions of the south. They drafted first round WRs for years and one is still on the roster as they miss the playoffs again.

I think Carolina was going to pick Richardson but i think it was probably because they did not fathom that Star would even be there. Richardson would have to play the same position that Dwan plays, so it did not make much sense to me unless they were getting him for a rotation and eventual replacement. I just don't believe they were disappointed and let out expletives because they nearly raced to the podium with the Star pick.

We do need a receiver but at our pick last night, there was no BPA receiver available.

Completely ignores that we took Stat over a more gifted version of Richardson lol.

Suck it up sports media. We didn't want Richardson. The middle of the road prospect went to your beloved Jets. The lowly Panthers ended up with a high profile top end pick. Put on your big boy panties and get over it.

Yea that made me cringe... there are a TON of quality receivers that were not takin in the 1st.

Welker, Colston, Cobb, Desean Jackson, Mike Williams, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Victor Cruz, Jordy Nelson, Marshall, V Jackson, Greg Jennings, TY Hilton, Steve Smith, Pierre Garcon, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith... theres more but they aren't on the top of my head.

If we had a guy opposite smith that could play like any of the above listed guys we would not be having this discussion about a need at receiver. Look I understand that if there is a Calvin Johnson, an AJ Green or even a Julio Jones (who with all the talent in the world still can't out produce his significantly physically inferior counterpart Roddy White) you do your best to get them. You know they are going to be a slam dunk and will own the league for a decade. That guy was not in this draft - and from the looks of things we aren't the only team to think that.

Archived