• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenjon Barner - our Tavon Austin / Percy Harvin

francois.nc

and the problem was the speed, it was the technique and form getting started. very unnatural way to start off and doesn't at all replicate on field starting and stopping.

This is a HUGE factor that gets overlooked in the 40 discussion.  Most of these skill position players are fast, but actual times are so reliant on the start that you can't just look at the numbers to see how fast a guy is...particularly those that weren't track guys in the past.   

Hasn't the whole arguement been that 40 time doesn't mean as much as production?  The guy is in the 4.4 range regardless and ran for nearly 1800 yards and 21 TDs in a spread offense.  That is amazing production.   If the value of running backs in the last few years hadn't been at rock bottom, he would have easily been a 2nd or 3rd round pick at worst.  He's argueably better then Lamichael James that the 49ers picked up in the 2nd last year.

sorry, i meant the problem wasn't the speed. i didn't notice that until you quoted me.

the speed is there. the 40 doesn't show it because he wasn't used to running it like that. it's just a very unnatural way to start off. i don't really hold 40 times against anyone if what they show on the field is fast moving.

i agree, tho. that production is amazing. i know some had to do with the system, but it also had to do with how well he fit the system.

gettleman wanted TD scorers, and this guy fits that bill in spades.

The same was said about Pilhares. It doesn't mean anything if the coaches refuse to craft a role for you. I wouldn't expect anybody to go out of their way to make sure a 6th round pick gets a few designed plays. Barner was brought in for depth purposes and we drafted BPA down our board. I wouldn't consider him even on our radar in terms of actual game time until he comes in and proves he can handle snaps up here.

Let's see what Shula has in store for us. I have heard this guy is ur poor mans Tevon Austin

Archived